Advice on Changing Jobs

MorningStar

My husband wants to apply for a job as a building serviceman for a utility company. He would travel around in a company truck doing maintenance throughout the region - carpentry, plumbing, electrical, probably some HVAC, and the benefits would be much less expensive for us. This is a step down I think from being a superintendent, which has just been too stressful for him, takes too much time, and when he's on vacation (he gets a week per year), he is still expected to answer his phone. On the application he's filling out, it asks why he wants this position at this point in his career. It might not look good wanting to take a step down and I'm trying to figure out the best way to word it. He is a very hard worker and I'm hesitant to write anything about a lower stress level or anything, because that might make him sound lazy - it's just that when he gets home after a long stressful day, he still has more paperwork to do and we don't get much quality time with him. It's also wearing on him constantly working with people who have been through a disaster of some sort.

This is basically what I'm writing so far:

This position sounds like a perfect fit as it would utilize my skills in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical as well as my ability to work independently. I am impressed by (fill in the company's name)'s reputation.

Advice?

Morningstar.......I say if the job will meet your needs and improves the way your husband feels....go for it. Stress is a big deal...especially as we age. I am in a very stressfull occupation...... at least it is right now. I am a Financial Advisor......and as you can imagine with the market getting crushed lately....my stress level is way up. I often think about buying an ice cream shop and serving ice cream...everyone is happy and no more stress.

might want to mention quality of life or work/life balance....but yeah, why isn't he writing it?

Some are mighty with the sword and some with the pen. I'm sure MorningStar's getting plenty of her husband's input and approval--what's the difference between having a paid resume writer work with you on your resume and your genius spouse helping instead? Don't get why you two asked this question.

MorningStar,

As far as what to say, I don't think you should say anything at all in the resume or cover letter concerning his need to "step down." What you need to do is sell his skills and ability and if they like them and think he might be a match, they will not make any assumptions about his "stepping down." Most hirers don't live in locked closets and very much understand that there are many valid reasons for changing jobs.

However, they WILL address that question in the interview and he needs to be ready with an answer like. " I love my work, I'm good at it. I don't mind emergencies and I don't mind overtime, however, this particular position I now have is simply too consuming. I need more family time".... or what have you. Most people appreciate honesty and most understand the need to have family time.

Edited by richlittell

I was on the phone with him while he was at work getting his input (he's too busy with his current job to fill out the application himself), I am a better writer, and he is a horrible speller. (Watch, I probably made a typo somewhere in this post.) :D

I think I will be able to write his cover letter well, but I am kind of intimidated by this application question:

In a few sentences describe why you are interested in this particular position at this point in your career.

If this were an advancement, that would be easy to answer. I don't know if it will be viewed as a step down rather than just a change. If he were to go back to being a carpenter in the same line of work, that would definitely be a step down. To answer this question though, it is honestly, "Because this company I'm working for is horrible, the position is a pain in the bum, I want to go back to a job with less stress and better benefits, and with your company truck, I wouldn't have to cover the obscene price of gas anymore!" I don't think that would answer would go over so well. :P I know that hirers know that some companies are horrible to work for, but it's not really acceptable to bring that up in the application process.

Points to Rich for the genius spouse comment. :D

Bytor, if you open an ice cream shop, let me know. Mmmmm ....

I think your suggested sentences are great. They avoid any sound of desperation or hint of "stepping down", focusing instead (as they should) on what a great opportunity and great fit the job is and how impressed he is with the company.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the advice. I felt good about what we ended up sending in and after we submitted it, it said they would review his resume for current and future positions. It's nice to know that if something even better comes up, he might be considered. The benefits would start immediately and that is exactly what we need. If the pay is lower, we just have to figure out how much lower we can go. It might just even out with the cheaper health insurance and having a company truck, not having to pay for gas anymore. That would be such an enormous blessing for us. Wow, to have him come home and just be able to focus on me, the kids, his hobbies, callings, etc. His job has really gotten in the way of a lot of things. If nothing comes of this, we have at least made that first step.

Edited by MorningStar
Guess!

I know the situation is done and over with...but for the sake of possibly helping someone else out in the future I still have a suggestion.

The easiest way to answer any question that someone might have regarding a possible step down would be to mention that your current position is not in line with the career path that is best suited for you. Sometimes it is necessary to go back to a more basic position to realign your experience with the goals that you have set for your career.

I'm sorry, again, but we see this frequently at my work where people will take a promotion for more money, but they realize that it's not in alignment with where they would like to be in 5 years. Sometimes to step forward you have to take a step back. People tend to respect others who can recognize and act upon that realization.

Morningstar.......I say if the job will meet your needs and improves the way your husband feels....go for it. Stress is a big deal...especially as we age. I am in a very stressfull occupation...... at least it is right now. I am a Financial Advisor......and as you can imagine with the market getting crushed lately....my stress level is way up. I often think about buying an ice cream shop and serving ice cream...everyone is happy and no more stress.

I'm a financial advisor as well! Nothing like the stress of helping to control the financial destinies of clients with their money in a method of investing in an economy that we have absolutely NO control over.

But I digress.

Anyway, back to the OT...

Remember that your job is to SELL on the reasons why this position would be a better fit than the previous job.

If it were me, I wouldn't hide my reasons, but I'd put a great spin on it.

For example: I'm a hard worker, dedicated and quick on my feet. I know how to handle and diffuse almost any situation. ("Almost" is to show some humility and get the idea across that you're not full of yourself.).

I am looking at this position as I feel that I would enjoy my work better by being on a TEAM that can work WITH me in this field. To work with a team that SHARES in the responsibility, we can all work more efficiently and enjoy our work ... and thereby increase the quality of our work and life.

I currently don't have that in my current position. And somethings are just more important than money, power or prestige.

Just my thoughts.