Paul Potts Redux

Elphaba

By now everyone knows how in love with Johnny Depp I am. But, if both Paul Potts and Johnny were at my door, I would pick Paul.

For those who don’t know who Paul is, he is an unassuming, endearing, shy man who flipped a coin to decide whether to send an application to “Britain’s Got Talent,“ which is similar to America Idol. The coin landed with heads up, he sent the application in, and then he blew everyone away, singing "Nessun Dorme."

I’ll never forget the first time I saw Paul. I love opera, and was just surfing Youtube to see if there were any videos I hadn’t already seen.

And as Snow used to say: Paul Potts! BAM!

Paul worked as a cell phone salesman. He had very little self-confidence. He was overweight, and had bad teeth. He has cheeks like a chipmunk, and wore the dumpiest suit I’ve ever seen. And I absolutely fell in love with him, and would not want him to ever change a thing. Well, the suit had to go, and once he became an overnight sensation, it did.

I suspect most people here have already watched this, but I’m going to post it anyway for anyone who is so lucky to have not seen it before. It is his first audition before the judges, one of whom is Simon Cowell. I’ve never seen Simon so impressed.

I wish it were my first time watching it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caruso! BAM!

Of course, Paul won the competition, and Simon had him in the studio the next week. Luckily by the time I saw Paul’s first Youtube (there are three more of the competition), his CD was already in the stores. I played it over and over again, and soon there was one song that stood out for me, and then after a little while, I would just play this song over and over. That song is “Caruso.”

So, today I was hopping around, and discovered an AOL page devoted to him, including new recordings of him singing the songs from the CD. And much to my delight, he sang that song I loved so well.

“Caruso“ was written for Enrico Caruso, though I don’t remember the author. And since I loved the song so much, I found Youtubes of Pavarotti (who I miss terribly), and even Josh Groban singing it. Pavarotti was stunning, of course, but was smooth and sophisticated. Josh was awful awful awful.

But no one had that Paul Potts passion, an unpolished passion, but a passion full of heart nonetheless. And watching it today, after I haven’t heard it for a while, choked me up just like it used to every time I’d play it before.

You hear the angels hold their breath when Paul sings.

So here is a link to the AOL page. I don‘t know if you have to have AOL to see it, If so, his Youtube version is good as well.

'Caruso (AOL Sessions)' Video - Paul Potts - AOL Music

I really hope some of you haven’t seen him before. I defy you to watch the first video above, and not have an out-of-body experience.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

I hate to admit this, but when I saw the Paul Potts video I began to actually cry, and I am a big guy! I am not even an opera kind of guy.It amazes me to no end. God has taken this un-assuming man, a regular, quiet type of man, and has given him this voice that touches the heart of every human being. How Great God is! How marvelous are his works.

Paul is now on my playlist. And of course my kids think I am a total freak.

I hate to admit this, but when I saw the Paul Potts video I began to actually cry, and I am a big guy! I am not even an opera kind of guy.It amazes me to no end. God has taken this un-assuming man, a regular, quiet type of man, and has given him this voice that touches the heart of every human being. How Great God is! How marvelous are his works.

Paul is now on my playlist. And of course my kids think I am a total freak.

Hi My,

Did you just watch it for the first time from the link in my post, or had you seen it before?

I think if you don't start bawling watching his first audition, then you need to get your ears, and your sanity, checked.

Elphie

Edited by Elphaba

Hi My,

Did you just watch it for the first time from the link in my post, or had you seen it before?

I think if you don't start bawling watching his first audition, then you need to get your ears, and your sanity, checked.

Elphie

Hi,

No I saw it a couple of months ago by pure accident on Youtube. I saved it to my favorites and hurried home to show my kids. I watched it again with them. I sniffled again, and my kids just did not get ewhat I was trying to show them. The beauty of it.

I often try to show them videos of songs that really strike me deeply. They just believe I am a sentimental old sap. Music is one of my weeknesses.

Like Pam, I've seen this many times before and it's still great to see again. He made a CD and it is available on Amazon and I bought it. It's great to listen to. In fact, here's the link..

Paul Potts CD

He has also been on tours around the world. I hope his fame is not short-lived and he makes more performances at concerts. He has far too much talent to be selling phones in England.

Thanks Elphaba. It was great to see him perform again.

Shoot I just watched his audition two more times and cried two more times. You would think I wouldn't by about the 30th time watching it but I just can't help it.

After I read your post, I decided to watch it again, and it still is as remarkable as the first time I saw it. It doesn’t lose its magic, does it?

After that I watched all of his performances on Britain's Got Talent, because I actually like his second performance better than the first, where he sings “Time to Say Goodbye.”

Anyway, while I was listening to that, I found this: Paul Potts Royal Variety Performance Before the Queen

I'll be honest: Nessun Dorme, the song he from his first audition, is not one of my favorites. It used to be, because the first time I heard it I was enthralled, and listened to it over and over again. Pavarotti is famous for his version, and his performance with the three tenors is astounding.

Unfortunately, I listened to it so often it doesn't have the same impact on me anymore.

But listening to Paul sing it in this video gave me goose bumps. And actually, he misses two of his higher notes, but that endears him to me.

The production of this performance was incredible. It has a short montage of Paul winning Britain's Got Talent, and then the curtain raises, and he's there, singing his heart out. (I could have done without the puppet.)

By the way, if you recognize his first song but can't place it, it is Ennio Morricone’s music from the movie “The Mission,” one of my top ten favorite films.

What an amazing journey he has been on. I’ll be honest again: I am not usually moved by rags to riches stories, as they always seem a bit contrived to me.

Maybe it‘s Paul‘s humble demeanor, or perhaps his astonishment that the world has embraced him and his voice--even those who don‘t care for opera.

Whatever it is, Paul is that one exception where I am incredibly happy that he got that one chance to make his mark with his voice, or as he calls it, his “best friend.”

Just imagine if that coin had turned up tails, and he hadn’t sent in his audition form to Britain’s Got Talent. I shudder at the thought.

Elphaba

He has also been on tours around the world. I hope his fame is not short-lived and he makes more performances at concerts. He has far too much talent to be selling phones in England.

A member of the site, Snow, watched the first video when I initially posted it, and he and his wife immediately went to buy the CD.

About nine months ago, maybe less, he took his family to a Paul Potts' concert, but they didn't tell his children where they were going.

Apparently, when they arrived, his young girls went crazy they were so excited. That's the charm of Paul Potts.

I hope he makes a second CD soon.

Elphie

After I read your post, I decided to watch it again, and it still is as remarkable as the first time I saw it. It doesn’t lose its magic, does it?

After that I watched all of his performances on Britain's Got Talent, because I actually like his second performance better than the first, where he sings “Time to Say Goodbye.”

Anyway, while I was listening to that, I found this: Paul Potts Royal Variety Performance Before the Queen

Elphaba

Did anyone else have a problem finding the right link?

All I could see was SNL Spoofs!!!

Elphaba!!! What are you trying to pull here?:lol: