can you raise someones IQ?

countrygirl66

My 12 yr old daughters iq comes in at about 71 - 75. Her main difficulties stem with problem solving and dealing with emotions. I am wondering if anyone know of anything effective to help her. I have 4 kids and not a lot of time. I spend a lot of time working on her social and emotional development. The school has her in resource for reading comprehension and math. She has to get an exception every 3 years for her resource services because she performs right at or above her iq testing. She performs above with reading in general. everything is about with her iq or a little above. Anyways, I know a lot of you have higher education than I and I would like your imput. Thanks and pray that I can run faster than I have strength.;)

Thankyou so much. The web md article especially made sense to me. I got my daughter when she was almost 6. She has seen a ton of domestic violence and been the subject of various forms of abuse. Her birth mom has almost no emotions at all. She has had to survive so much. Thanks again for the article. It has given me another way to look at things.

It is my belief that IQ is a combination of natural abilities (genetic) and environment. If you are born with the ability to reach an IQ of let's say 130, yet you are lazy or placed into an environment that isn't supportive of intellectual growth, the IQ potential will not be reached.

It's sort of like if we took that guy who won all the gold medals swimming in Beijing last summer -- if we cloned him and placed 5 clones in families that encouraged athletic acheivment then we would stand a great chance of having a few Olympic athletes being created. However, if a couple of the families live where there are no pools, it's doubtful they will be heading for the Olympics. Only the ones with aptitude, skills and opportunity will bloom. Now if we placed the 6th. and 7th. child in a family like Michael Moore or Mike Huckabee we might get a couple of clones who have weight problems. The potential would be there but...

However, if one were to clone Danny Divito and give the clone intense swimming training and opportunities one would doubt the kid would ever make it to his state high school regionals.

That being said, it's up to us as parents to develop our children's aptitudes and talents as much as possible. This is why home schoolers do so well -- absolutely no teacher can be as dedicated to your children as you can be. So starting children in early learning as well as showing them how wonderful learning can be can cause a disinterested child who might test low on an IQ test originally to expand and test out quite a bit higher after intervention.

I think if you can manage lots of stimulation doing everyday things helps. For example helping you make shopping lists, working out how much things cost, we pay for everything in cash so Ellie can hand over money and work out change.

She helps me cook and we can talk about the science processes that happens, we look at the stars and name them, etc

I know with IQ tests myself the more I did the higher my IQ my first one was 121 by time I was 16 they were nearer 147-150

-Charley

May I suggest Brain State Technologies to find a local office and Brain State Technologies with Lee Gerdes for more videos on what brain harmonizing is, or if the link changes look for the interview with Lee Gerdes. I saw this and had to try it. In this case, maybe it won't put your daughter on the Dean's list as it did for his son and all his friends, but I saw these videos and thought they were fascinating! I had to try it out. The exercises target different imbalances in the brain, but my own report is that it taught me how to 'flex' my brain different ways, which immediately got rid of a headache I have had my whole life and helps me look at problems differently. My temper is greatly reduced, which is nice. They could see it on the scan, a nice hot spot up on top that the first exercise was designed to teach me how to cool. It did.

Controlling the subconscious, which becomes semi-conscious more than sub-conscious after this neurofeedback mechanism points your brain to parts it didn't know existed, becomes more possible. For me, the exercise was targeted, but once I could feel the part of my brain it was flexing, it kind of says, 'Oh, that! I get it!' and then it has a new muscle it can use. For me it was a little like learning to wiggle my ears. The nerve was there, the muscle was there, but I had no idea. Since they have mapped the brain and created a feedback mechanism to stimulate different parts, it allowed me to learn about parts of my brain I had no concept of previous to being hooked up to the machine. I look forward to going back a few more times.

At least check out the video of the girl who stuttered before the training on the main site. That is pretty cool to see all by itself.

Edited by RobertP
misspelling

As a teacher, I can honestly say that IQ as a number has very little to do with my students' success in school. I would extrapolate that the same will continue to be true for them in the "real world."

What does affect their success? Home life. My students whose parents take an active, positive interest in them are doing well. My students (even smart ones) whose parents are angry, indifferent, or too busy are constantly struggling.

The number one thing I can recommend to make kids smart is to read with them. This shouldn't stop when they can read on their own. To hear you read fluently is an important modeling activity for their minds. If they can see the book and follow your words, the power will increase.

I have a couple of other hints. First, make a household rule to turn off TV, video games, computers, iPods, etc. at a certain time well before bed. Consuming powerful media requires a lot of brain function. If you want your kids to remember their spelling words or their math facts or whatever it is, turn off these powerful media sources at a prescribed time in the evening. Give their minds a bit of rest time. Then, right before bed, help them review whatever is most important to remember for the following day. This review should take only about 5 minutes. Perhaps do it after they brush their teeth and before family prayers. This review will bring to mind the academic activities of the day, and the brain will process those things more effectively overnight. Remember, sleep is designed for our brains to organize, categorize, and process every stimulus from the day. By reviewing important information right before bed, you show the brain what is truly important to remember in the long term. By the way, 8 hours or more of sleep will really help academically.

My other advice is that you need to teach your child how to learn effectively. Effective learning has very little to do with IQ - it is about defining processes that will help you to remember. The simplest way to begin is to show your child how to add sensory cues to learning. Perhaps something is being presented in a visual way - on an overhead or in a book. Your child may not be able to recall visually presented information very easily. But if she learns to make rhymes or use hand signals or take notes in a particular way that will help her remember, the information is no longer purely visual. The more senses (seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, smelling) she can incorporate in her own learning, the better she will learn and the smarter she will be.

This alludes to the great key in the process - the student must understand that she is responsible for her own learning. Teachers and parents can help, and she should actively ask them questions, but it is her responsibility to make sure she understands what is being taught. If she does not understand, she needs to ask somebody or look it up. The answers don't just appear; they must be found. As soon as I learned that, I became a much more effective learner in all other aspects.

There are two types of I.Q: measured I.Q and active I.Q.

Active I.Q is sometimes reffered to as E.Q or the emotional quotient. EQ - is a measure of your emotional intelligence, or your ability to use both your emotions and cognitive skills in your life. Emotional intelligence competencies include but are not limited to empathy, intuition, creativity, flexibility, resilience, coping, stress management, leadership, integrity, authenticity, intrapersonal skills and interpersonal skills. This can be learnt. Certainly we value others in life not for being smart ..but for their ability to use this to improve their lives and those of others. Some call it the difference between Knowing how and why (emotional) vs. Knowing what (cognitive).

I.Q cannot identify the best scientists, chess players or identify success.

I.Q doesn't measure all forms of intelligence. Howard Gardner quote: "The tasks featured in the I.Q. test are decidedly microscopic, are often unrelated to one another, and . . . are remote, in many cases, from everyday life. They rely heavily upon language and upon a person's skill in defining words, in knowing fact about the world, in finding connections (and differences) among verbal concepts . . . . An individual can lose his entire frontal lobes, in the process becoming a radically different person, unable to display any initiative or to solve new problems -- and yet may continue to exhibit an I.Q. close to genius level. Moreover, the intelligence test reveals little about an indivdual's potential for further growth." Howard Gardener looked at other areas of intelligence:

Linguistic - words and language

Logical-Mathematical - logic and numbers

Musical - music, rhythm and sound

Bodily-Kinaesthetic - body movement and control

Spatial-Visual - images and space

Interpersonal - other people's feelings

Intrapersonal - self awareness

Gardner recognises Moral or Naturalist as other possible categories.

Teaching focusses on using these other intelligences and capitalising on them.

Sternberg said that practical intelligence was not measured by I.Q tests.

Standard Weschler I.Q tests cannot be used with children who don't have the cultural or linguistic skills..so a better measure/indication of strengths and weaknesses can be obtained using other tests.

My experience as a teacher is that I.Q tests are an indicator ....but determination and persistence often make the difference between life success and can impact on academic success in both positive and negative ways. It takes persistent children and persistent teachers. The time frame may be longer for some in skill acquisition...but it all adds up. Sometimes the ability to point out successes over long periods of time that may go unnoticed is a revelation for the child. They don't always see their efforts acknowledged or may not recognise them themselves.

A favourite quote of mine is from Einstein: to paraphrase: he said that he wasn't more intelligent than other people...it was just that he persisted on tasks for longer. This is what I tell the children that I teach and I believe.

Can I.Q change. YES, most definitely. It's too big an area to get into. But studies of changes in I.Q are cited here

Intelligence quotient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have to scroll down a bit...start with the subheading environment.

It is a well-known fact that repeating I.Q tests can result in a higher performance on subsequent tests.

Note that playing music has been known to influence I.Q.

What can help: everything.

Okay the latest research:

Intelligence And Rhythmic Accuracy Go Hand In Hand (intelligence and rhythmic accuracy)

Plastic Brain Outsmarts Experts: Training Can Increase Fluid Intelligence, Once Thought To Be Fixed At Birth (memory training, particularly short term memory training and increasing fluid intelligence improves cognitive intelligence: use it or lose it).

Children's Under-achievement Could Be Down To Poor Working Memory (the links between short term memory or working memory and academic performance...improving it linked to better performance).

As Easy As 1, 2, 3: Number Sense Correlates With Test Scores (number sense: the ability to estimate how many items in a group correlated to maths achievement...yep guessing how many items in a pile more accurately leads to mathematical success).

Seems to all point to short short term working memory tasks...

Working memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to training working memory.

Dual n'back games: Brain Workshop - a Dual N-Back game a free download...looks like fun...but I haven't tested it out for levels that are suitable for children.

Edited by WANDERER

I think it's possible to raise IQ. I am not a scientist or anything, but since it is possible to lower someone's IQ, it should be possible to raise it. Don't get down too much on IQ level and functioning levels. In fact, ignore the IQ number and focus on making a stimulating environment.

For example in Thailand, the average IQ for students is 88. A 75 is not far from the normal range. Here's a quote:

Mental Health Department chief ML Somchai Chakraphan said those with IQs in the 70 to 79 point range were in a borderline group as an IQ below 70 points signalled mental disability.

In a bid to boost children's IQ, Somchai said his department last year launched a fiveyear intellectual development plan for children in 20 provinces. "We have passed on useful knowhow to nursery and kindergarten teachers," he said.

Somchai said mothers could boost their children's IQ by eating nutritious food during pregnancy and stimulating their children's development at the right age.

"Some parents tend to carry their babies in their arms all the time out of concerns that their babies might fall and hurt themselves. That's not right. If it's time for your babies to start crawling or running, let them do so because it encourages their development," he said.

It seems to me that they are saying it's possible increase IQ with the right kind of development work.

This is no help to you, but I did raise my IQ.

I had to take the test to be eligible for some financial aid. I did very well, but not all of my responses were correct. I iimmediately looked up the answers to the questions I had missed, and never forgot them.

Fifteen years later I had to take the same test when I applied for disability. My score was much much higher.

Is that cheating? :P

Elphaba

I don't buy the I.Q. rating. I think everyone can learn just the same, it is only a matter of interest. If someone is heavily interested in a subject, they will pay close attention to it. But if not, they won't.

Certainly there are all sorts of various factors in play, but the human essence in every individial has within it the same potential. As a parent or teacher, we face the task of discerning those crucial factors.

-a-train

Here is a study system that is mainly for scripture study, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be used for other forms of study:

1. Memorize what you need to know.

2. Review it twice a day for a week.

3. Review once a day for a week.

4. Review twice a week for one month.

5. Review once a week for one month.

6. Review twice a month for two months.

7. Review once a month for six months.

8. Review once every six months for a year.

9. Review once a year for life.

• 3 months later...

I would like to throw the candida and bowel health angle in on this, at least for the emotion side you mention. Products for Candida like Candida Take Care and Lactoferrin. Google 'Candida symptoms' and see if it resonates at all. It could be all in my head, but I have many reasons to believe it is rampant here in America. Junk food, chemicals, fluffy foods. My daughter's emotions cleared within a week of starting, without her really knowing. Suddenly she was more like a young woman, less whiny and irritable. The we ran out. I am excited to get more tomorros. If I can closer to root cause, I will certainly let you know. I would like to ditch even that. That still seems a ways off barring the unforeseen. My true expectation though, is if this works, it will take a bind off part of her mind as well. How much? I couldn't guess from here. Emotion wise, I am almost positive it will help.

It's important to note that IQ is an instantaneous measurement of a person's ability to learn at the time of his or her measurement. Thus, there are natural fluctuations in a person's IQ over time.

Is it possible to raise it? Sure. But it takes a lot of work and time. Take a few IQ tests online and see what kinds of problems they ask you to solve. A great many of them are puzzles and riddles. The tests are trying to determine how well you can identify similar objects and put them together. Try looking for similar games and puzzles your child can play and that should help.

I hate to be pessimistic, but be prepared for the possibility of little improvement. Generally, as people get older, their IQ declines, as they become less adept at learning new things. This process can be slowed by engaging in activities like crosswords, sudoku, academic research, and even art. Just focus on keeping yours and her mind able to receive and process new information.

There have been a few studies that show that a person's IQ will only change aproximately 5 points (depending on the scale) during the course of your life.

IQ is not a measure of knowlege, but instead it is the ability to rationalize and recognize patterns.

IQ doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of what a person can learn, but instead how long it may take for them to learn it.

The emotional part is developing coping skills, coping with emotions as they come and how to think first and react second, that can happen through example, how you and your husband react to stress.

Or if you walk up on her in a situation that she has began to stress over, help her think about how to fix it (thinking) and putting it into action (reaction).

She can fix the problem and then theres problems that cant be fixed, remind her of all her success in the past of all the other things shes fixed. those are alittle harder to get through, but once she has felt success she should be on the right road, but continue to ask her what can we do to fix this??

I used to work with Catholic Charities with kids with troubled past and coping skills was on the top of the list. I know that your situation isnt the same but coping skills is something we all have to develope.

It is my belief that IQ is a combination of natural abilities (genetic) and environment. If you are born with the ability to reach an IQ of let's say 130, yet you are lazy or placed into an environment that isn't supportive of intellectual growth, the IQ potential will not be reached.

It's sort of like if we took that guy who won all the gold medals swimming in Beijing last summer -- if we cloned him and placed 5 clones in families that encouraged athletic acheivment then we would stand a great chance of having a few Olympic athletes being created. However, if a couple of the families live where there are no pools, it's doubtful they will be heading for the Olympics. Only the ones with aptitude, skills and opportunity will bloom. Now if we placed the 6th. and 7th. child in a family like Michael Moore or Mike Huckabee we might get a couple of clones who have weight problems. The potential would be there but...

However, if one were to clone Danny Divito and give the clone intense swimming training and opportunities one would doubt the kid would ever make it to his state high school regionals.

That being said, it's up to us as parents to develop our children's aptitudes and talents as much as possible. This is why home schoolers do so well -- absolutely no teacher can be as dedicated to your children as you can be. So starting children in early learning as well as showing them how wonderful learning can be can cause a disinterested child who might test low on an IQ test originally to expand and test out quite a bit higher after intervention.

I stop measuring ones IQ or number of academic degrees is a basis of intelligence.