Recommend book on Signs of the Times.

nimrod

I'm looking for a good book (preferrably on audio) that deals with the following:

1. Signs of the Times

2. Prophecies that must come to pass prior to the Second Coming

I want it to be from the "best source" possible. But I am also wanting something that is fairly "deep".

Thanks

I have listened to Richard Draper's CD's on the Book of Revelation. I enjoy him, but the summary of the Opening of the Seven Seals I read online seemed to be less deep intellectual discussions of the prophecies and more about "look how the these things testify of Christ."......which is VERY good thing to do, but that was the jist of his other lectures that I already have. Right now I just want a hard and fast discussion of the signs of the times and prophecies....a comprehensive list.

This David Ridges book, 50 Signs of the Times and The Second Coming SOUNDS like what I am after, but I haven't heard of the author. Can someone feel me in on his background?

I think my mother-in-law has the Gerald Lund book. I thumbed through it yesterday.

I'm looking for a good book (preferrably on audio) that deals with the following:

1. Signs of the Times

2. Prophecies that must come to pass prior to the Second Coming

I want it to be from the "best source" possible. But I am also wanting something that is fairly "deep".

Thanks

I recommend 4 books:

The Bible (King James version for English)

The Book of Mormon

Doctrine and Covenants

The Pearl of Great Price

I personally find these the "best source" possible and I also find them to be as "deep" as one is capable of understanding.

The Traveler

I recommend 4 books:

The Book of Mormon

Doctrine and Covenants

The Pearl of Great Price

I personally find these the "best source" possible and I also find them to be as "deep" as one is capable of understanding.

The Traveler

Good point. However, Joseph Smith made several prophecies that are not contained in the Doctorine & Covenants. Also, while I feel I do understand Isaiah better than the average chap, I admit that I haven't learned Jewish history/custom sufficiently to feel confident on all the double meanings, etc in Isaiah. Isaiah is where many of the "signs of the times" are found. The above is true of Revelations as well. Many of these other books help us with context, background, jewish culture, jewish tradition, etc.

But I like to be picky about what authors I read.....primarily because it saves time by going to the best authors first. I can only read a few pages per night. Reading puts me to sleep even if I like the book.

Good point. However, Joseph Smith made several prophecies that are not contained in the Doctorine & Covenants. Also, while I feel I do understand Isaiah better than the average chap, I admit that I haven't learned Jewish history/custom sufficiently to feel confident on all the double meanings, etc in Isaiah. Isaiah is where many of the "signs of the times" are found. The above is true of Revelations as well. Many of these other books help us with context, background, jewish culture, jewish tradition, etc.

But I like to be picky about what authors I read.....primarily because it saves time by going to the best authors first. I can only read a few pages per night. Reading puts me to sleep even if I like the book.

If you are looking for some insights to scripture, then as a secondary reference, I recommend that you purchase the approved LDS Institute manuals and commentary on the scripture. The best place to purchase these materials is through the church distribution system. The second Old Testiment manual that covers the Minor Prophets (Daniel, Ezekiel and others) has a section dedicated to the scriptural prophesies concerning the “Last Days”.

The Traveler

I recommend 4 books:

The Book of Mormon

Doctrine and Covenants

The Pearl of Great Price

The Traveler

:lol: good one. However, there is a time when we used someone elses talent in different cultures, field of history, and foreign languages to aid us in learning for ourselves the truth. ;)

:lol: good one. However, there is a time when we used someone elses talent in different cultures, field of history, and foreign languages to aid us in learning for ourselves the truth. ;)

I am quite serious about using the scriptures as reference. I realize that understanding the symbolism of ancient scripture that reflect both the time and culture to which we in modern time are very much removed can be difficult. For such things I recommend a book specific to about symbols rather than a book of commentary on ancient scripture. One good reference of ancient symbols is “The Lost Language of Symbolism” by Alonzo L. Gaskill. I like this book because it is both scholarly and an LDS perspective.

I believe there is an error (doctrinal spin) introduced when dealing with commentary about revelations such as the Book of Revelation. I believe we are told specifically to avoid the study of that which attempts to add or define such things. If one needs help with symbolism I caution against those that take the liberty to analyze specific notions according to the understanding of men. We can become educated in the use of symbols but not so much in the interpretation of things not given through the channels of appointed prophets and teachers.

The Traveler

I was being serious also here but trying to be supported and curtious since they usually have the scriptures opened at the sametime giving their opinions of what is interrupted. Not all of which I will agree but interesting tidbits that helps the average reader to gain a greater clarity of the scriptures; someone who spent years in that field of study.

Nor will I agree with every GAs on every account, or even to bother with reading the Songs of Solomon since I don't consider it canonized material. At times, you will find me in disagreement on few topics that needs to be corrected not from the pulpit but requitres personal revelations for the correct truth.

Now, what is the difference for our church students who have manuals in interrupting those scriptures from what others had written?

I was being serious also here but trying to be supported and curtious since they usually have the scriptures opened at the sametime giving their opinions of what is interrupted. Not all of which I will agree but interesting tidbits that helps the average reader to gain a greater clarity of the scriptures; someone who spent years in that field of study.

Nor will I agree with every GAs on every account, or even to bother with reading the Songs of Solomon since I don't consider it canonized material. At times, you will find me in disagreement on few topics that needs to be corrected not from the pulpit but requitres personal revelations for the correct truth.

Now, what is the difference for our church students who have manuals in interrupting those scriptures from what others had written?

The question is not about doctrine in general but in understanding the prophecies regarding the signs of the times. Those that have sought for understanding of prophesy concerning the sign given to specify the times as defined by G-d by sources other than the prophets have never found the correct answers but were always lead astray.

Perhaps someone has a contrary example from the scriptures?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 2 years later...

I ran across an app for the iPad that breaks down the signs of the times by happened, happening and waiting to happened. It has more references than Ridges book and has a searchable database. It doesn't add commentary, just the facts. It is really pretty good. I will look for a link to see if I can post it for you. It is by a smileypeb.