Suits and Ties?

Elrond

Are all LDS missionaries required to wear black suits and ties and a white shirt? I saw this in college when they came in in pairs, also having a little nametag. I never got into any discussions with them and they were friendly enough when we did encounter each other. (Honestly I think they knew or discerned I believed a lot of what they did so they may have assumed I was LDS ??)

Anyways, I notice they always dressed the same. And I just did a google search "Mormon Missionaries" and pretty much found the same thing.... or just white shirts and black ties if not the suit.

Is this a requirement?

Are all LDS missionaries required to wear black suits and ties and a white shirt? I saw this in college when they came in in pairs, also having a little nametag. I never got into any discussions with them and they were friendly enough when we did encounter each other. (Honestly I think they knew or discerned I believed a lot of what they did so they may have assumed I was LDS ??)

Anyways, I notice they always dressed the same. And I just did a google search "Mormon Missionaries" and pretty much found the same thing.... or just white shirts and black ties if not the suit.

Is this a requirement?

I didn't own a black suit as a missionary. I wore a green suit and a blue suit. But suits in dark conservative colors, white shirts, and ties are a requirement. The point it to be both professional and non-distracting in appearance in order for it to be easier to place focus on the message shared instead of the people sharing it.

I served a mission when I was 19 and 20 years old. It was quite warm where I was, so I didn't have to wear a suit coat during the week. Only wore it on Sundays.

I had a friend that went on his mission to the Navajo indians in AZ & NM, he was able to wear blue jeans and a white shirt. He usually travelled by horse.

HiJolly

I didn't own a black suit as a missionary. I wore a green suit and a blue suit. But suits in dark conservative colors, white shirts, and ties are a requirement. The point it to be both professional and non-distracting in appearance in order for it to be easier to place focus on the message shared instead of the people sharing it.

This makes me think of a model. Good models have a "plain" appearance -- so they're like a canvas and can fit many looks.

So in the same sense, a missionary is plainly dressed so they aren't the focus?

This makes me think of a model. Good models have a "plain" appearance -- so they're like a canvas and can fit many looks.

So in the same sense, a missionary is plainly dressed so they aren't the focus?

Exactly. That way it's easier to focus on the message, not the messenger.

Ok so it's not a stereotype, even though people think it is.

I won't wear a suit and tie period. I haven't in over 20 years. A couple things contributed to this. First of all my skin gets prickly if I have on tight or restrictive clothing. A necktie or shirt buttoned all the way up litterally makes me feel like I'm choking. In the summer I usually wear bare foot and sandals, even when doing heavy work... I even used to operate a big tractor in sandals. So that was a personal reason.

The other thing is when I was in churches where people wore suits only on Sunday (or Saturday when I went to an SDA church for awhile), and never wore them any other time of the week. I figured God wanted us to be who we are 7 days a week. Personally I dress very casually and usually darker colors like blue, black, or green, though I own some brighter T shirts with logos on them.

For me I think it makes a person stand out if they are wearing a crisp suit and white shirt. I am saying this in reply to Marginoferrors post saying "The point it to be both professional and non-distracting in appearance in order for it to be easier to place focus on the message shared instead of the people sharing it. " I lived on a couple reservations before and mainly wore shorts in summer or jeans and a T shirt. Sometimes the T shirt had a Native logo on it. Several Natives listened to me as I explained my belief in Christ. I think they felt comfortable because I appeared as one of them. They tended to shun people who came around in suits, which were mainly Holiness missionaries. All I know is I used to drive around on church day and pick up a carload of people, some of whom normally wouldn't attend church at all. This may go along with what HiJolly said about the Navajo missionaries.

I heard an old Native several years ago call ties "Ugly pointed beaver tails!" I had to laugh but from their perspective I saw his point. Same as a Non Native American thinking a Native dancer looks like a bird if they wear many feathers in their regalia.

Paul wrote that he became like all that he may win some. I think he was referring to dressing like others in their culture or partaking in customs as long as it did not involve sin.

No big deal. People can dress as they like or as they feel they should. I was just wondering if it was a requirement.

Edited by Elrond

Is this a requirement?

Black, grey, brown, that toned down green color... there all good.

White shirt and tie... requirement

Like one other writer said I wasn't required to wear the suit jacket. In my 3rd area one of the sisters made me a nice purple homemade cardigan sweater, I loved it and wore it my whole mission.

It also depends on the mission....

My brother served his mission in Kenya... Never once wore a suit jacket...

Lived in Malaysia for 2 years... Had the missionaries over alot... Never once saw them in suit jackets.... Or even long sleeve shirts I think....

Both countries extremely humid and hot all year round...

It also depends on the mission....

My brother served his mission in Kenya... Never once wore a suit jacket...

Lived in Malaysia for 2 years... Had the missionaries over alot... Never once saw them in suit jackets.... Or even long sleeve shirts I think....

Both countries extremely humid and hot all year round...

Right on... so it appears it's not a requirement. Good. Thanks.

Elrond: If you were to attend Sunday Services in an LDS church You would be welcome in casual dresswear. you would find however, that most men and boys wear at min. a white shirt with tie and slacks. . I personally have attended LDS church services where farmers attended in bib coveralls (but that is an exception). Most women and girls at min. wear dresses and/or skirts with long sleeves. Sleeveless are discouraged.

Doesn't mean that you wouldn't be welcome if you attended without a tie or sportcoat, but we are encouraged to wear our Sunday best while attending the Lords house to worship him. It is a matter of honoring him by our dress and reverance.

This reminds of an instance on my mission in French speaking Europe.

We were baptizing / confirming a new member from Zaire (Congo). His best friend had referred him for the discussions.

His friend worked construction and could not get anytime off to get to the baptism services early. In fact, he just barely arrived before the confirmation. Having worked construction (industrial) all day, he was in clothes that were nowhere near "white shirt / tie" apparel.

In any event, the friend was an Elder, so seeing that he had arrived in time, I being the one performing the confirmation, invited him to the circle. There were about 5 of us that day.

The Bishop objected on the grounds that he wasn't clean or wearing a dress shirt / tie.

My response ended the confrontation, "Jesus doesn't wear a tie"...

I realllllllllly, realllllllllly, think we need to stop being so rigid in these things.

This reminds of an instance on my mission in French speaking Europe.

We were baptizing / confirming a new member from Zaire (Congo). His best friend had referred him for the discussions.

His friend worked construction and could not get anytime off to get to the baptism services early. In fact, he just barely arrived before the confirmation. Having worked construction (industrial) all day, he was in clothes that were nowhere near "white shirt / tie" apparel.

In any event, the friend was an Elder, so seeing that he had arrived in time, I being the one performing the confirmation, invited him to the circle. There were about 5 of us that day.

The Bishop objected on the grounds that he wasn't clean or wearing a dress shirt / tie.

My response ended the confrontation, "Jesus doesn't wear a tie"...

I realllllllllly, realllllllllly, think we need to stop being so rigid in these things.

Totally cool.....

and I don't and wont wear a tie either.

God is bigger and better than human arguments, after all.

Actually Jesus mainly wore robes. If a man waers a robe nowadays , well......

I was sharing with a group of our religious volunteers how I appreciate the tradition of wearing one's best clothing when going to church. Doesn't God deserve our best? One of them looked a bit disturbed at my words. I figured he came from a church that is very casual--probably intentionally so, so that all might feel welcome. He responded, "You know...the only reason we wear clothes is because of Adam & Eve's sin!"