Praying in public

Avrham

Hello i just like too get peoples thoughts about praying in public my family prayed every time we have a meal(at home/public) the other day my family and another member family was at Mcdonalds like usual we prayed but i think it made the other family feel uncomfortable i think it was because other people where watching well my friends wife commented that"we don't need to pray openly" well i thought that was a interesting comment coming from her

My Family love to pray anytime anywhere it was something that i was raised up on and counselled to do by my father "son you pray regardless of the situation if you need it" well i hold dear to that council and will continue regardless what others think its my "one on one" with the LORD time:):)

If your driving and you need to pray pull over i tried to do it while driving yeah less said about that one:):)

We have not long had a discussion on this - I would not pray in a restaurant

For me and my family it is wrong to do so, I take my prayer life very seriously its sacred, If I pray in a restaurant it is quietly, the difference between praying at church and praying in a restaurant is that in church the congregation is praying with me in spirit, in a McDonalds the people around me would be uncomfortable and not joining in with me which makes the spirit imo wrong for prayer.

If I had been the other family I would have felt the spirit had gone from the occasion and moved away, the discomfort would be a bad spirit not embarassment as I don't mind praying out in public if YW or Primary are meeting in the Park etc. It is your right to pray when and where you want, but just bare in mind a common courtesy would have been to ask the people around you would they mind joining you in a prayer, because you can take away from their spirit of enjoying the meal, even in my home I will explain to non member guests that we will be blessing the food and would they like to join us or come in later

I can think of nothing worse for the already difficult missionary work in my area than members starting to be known for praying in that situation, our missionaries were specifically counselled a few years back not to pray in restaurants and I note our new Mission President did not the day we had breakfast at a table next to him, and as far as missionary work in my country goes I go with their instructions, also backs up the spirit I have felt for years.

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

It comes down to why you pray. If you pray with real intent, not to be heard or seen of men, but to express thanks to God, then prayer is always acceptable.

Prayer is always acceptable but loud prayer in public may not be if you are constrained by the spirit for whatever reason.

-Charley

Hello i just like too get peoples thoughts about praying in public my family prayed every time we have a meal(at home/public) the other day my family and another member family was at Mcdonalds like usual we prayed but i think it made the other family feel uncomfortable i think it was because other people where watching well my friends wife commented that"we don't need to pray openly" well i thought that was a interesting comment coming from her

My Family love to pray anytime anywhere it was something that i was raised up on and counselled to do by my father "son you pray regardless of the situation if you need it" well i hold dear to that council and will continue regardless what others think its my "one on one" with the LORD time:):)

If your driving and you need to pray pull over i tried to do it while driving yeah less said about that one:):)

Do not fear what the world may think but act on that which brings glory to GOD.

We do it as a family, pray in public places.

we have a meal prayer in restaurants. however they are different. we don't include all the personal stuff we might include in a private setting. we pray for safety (if we are eating out due to travel), give gratitude for the safety already experienced, safety for our home and family that may not be with us, gratitude for our food and to bless it, and done. short and sweet, nothing that would be attention getting. takes less than a min.

My husband did it when we were first married, and my in-laws do it. I'm uncomfortable with it for a few reasons:

1) Partly because I feel self-conscious.

2) Inevitably, the server always stops by in the middle of the prayer, and it makes everyone uncomfortable.

3) It feels very out of place.

4) I can't hear the prayer over the restaurant anyway.

As a missionary I did it, and I felt uncomfortable even then.

I consider prayer as sacred. I do not wish to cast my pearls before swine, or whatever else is being served at the restaurant.

I will bow my head and say a personal, private prayer. Others see me giving my thanks to God, without me intruding in their experience, and without them intruding into mine.

My husband did it when we were first married, and my in-laws do it. I'm uncomfortable with it for a few reasons:

1) Partly because I feel self-conscious.

2) Inevitably, the server always stops by in the middle of the prayer, and it makes everyone uncomfortable.

3) It feels very out of place.

4) I can't hear the prayer over the restaurant anyway.

As a missionary I did it, and I felt uncomfortable even then.

You know - the best way to end feelings of discomfort is to keep it up.

I always find that it is experiencing that which brings discomfort which removes those feelings in the end anyway.

You know - the best way to end feelings of discomfort is to keep it up.

I always find that it is experiencing that which brings discomfort which removes those feelings in the end anyway.

yeah but that works just as well for things we are prompted not to do as things we should be doing, with something like prayer we can convince ourselves that we are being more righteous, even if we are disobeying Heavenly Father.

I remember an occasion when I set out to get the bus to go to the San Diego Temple, I got a strong prompting not to go, I wanted to it so convinced myself it was the righteous decision. I now know it was not right for me to do at that time.

-Charley

yeah but that works just as well for things we are prompted not to do as things we should be doing, with something like prayer we can convince ourselves that we are being more righteous, even if we are disobeying Heavenly Father.

I remember an occasion when I set out to get the bus to go to the San Diego Temple, I got a strong prompting not to go, I wanted to it so convinced myself it was the righteous decision. I now know it was not right for me to do at that time.

-Charley

Ah yes, excellent point, it's also important for it to be the right thing for us to do.

As a family we always ask a blessing on our food in restaurants. We do it quietly and reservedly, not silently. It has no more impact on other diners than any of our private conversation would. Why should it concern other diners what we do at out own table? We don't start praying while the waiters are serving. That would be inconsiderate. We wait until everything has been brought to the table and then we bow our heads and have a short prayer. I doubt anyone else is even aware of it.

Hmm, lots of good perspectives.

I have similar thoughts that others have posted.

My family was not really good at blessing the food while I was growing up. We always did at dinner when we were together, but I don't really remember it other than that, over food. However when I got married, I noticed my husbands family praying over every meal, whether his mom was eating alone, or it was a big family meal, a blessing was always said. His mom was a good example to me and I have tried so hard since to always bless my food, whether I am alone or not. But I don't want to draw attention to myself.

When I'm at my parents house and fix a little something for myself to eat, I just fold my arms bow my head and say a quick little prayer. Sometimes I worry, and I do try to be discrete because I don't want people to think that I'm trying to be "holier than though" kind of a thing. Which I think happens more than not, and that just leaves a bad impression anyway. So I do try to just keep it to myself and try not to be noticed.

However, that's how I learned to pray over all my meals was by watching my mother-in-law. And I think it was because she had the right spirit about it. She just wanted to give thanks for her food.She didn't make a big deal out of it, but she taught me by example. Now I always make sure that my children say prayers over their food, and the greatest day was when I put down some food and walked away only to hear my little 4 year old bless her food.

I think it's just fine to bless your food in public, but I do think that it should be discrete and silent. If I was together with my family I would not call a formal prayer, but just recommend that those that want to bless the food, say their own little silent prayers.

But you do want you think is right. :):)

just like to say there are alot of interesting opinions and perspectives towards prayer my sons go to a school(primary level) that are majority are muslim and they have a special area to pray(its a public school)i find these quit humblying and grateful that their are others(including this forum) who like too pray regardless of why/where only God knows their or my heart

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

If someone's worried about what OTHERS think of being caught praying, I say shame on you. The old adage comes to mind: He who takes offense when none is intended is a fool; he who takes offense when it IS intended is a bigger fool.

I don't infer that we should be reenacting the Rameumptom debacle... but why should I let what others think/feel hinder my relationship with my Father in Heaven? To quote a line from O Brother, Where Art Thou: "that just don't make no sense"...

All that being said: I communicate with God all the time in my head - regardless of what I'm doing. I might be working, driving, relaxing, etc - but have a bit of a perpetual dialogue going on with the Man Upstairs. It isn't too hard to pray indiscretely over anything. :D

Edited by Prodigal_Son

It is a good thing that prayer is a personal matter. Each person should be allowed to pray or not pray over a public meal as they feel necessary. I can see if you are at a table with another family, even if they are LDS and you spring it on them how they might feel uncomfortable. Not everyone is as shy as I am and may feel comfortable. Some people who are shy might not feel as comfortable.

Ben Raines

just like to say there are alot of interesting opinions and perspectives towards prayer my sons go to a school(primary level) that are majority are muslim and they have a special area to pray(its a public school)i find these quit humblying and grateful that their are others(including this forum) who like too pray regardless of why/where only God knows their or my heart

Even most Muslims will pray outside of a restaurant then return. At least here in the UK

-Charley