Languages

bodhigirlsmiles

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you do not take jokes well? I thgought I used enough smileys...

Yeah, because Pam's the one complaining about the Taxi thread, seeing as how she has no sense of humor.

Okay my apologies. Back to the topic. What languages do you speak?

English, Spanish, can understand a little Portuguese. Portuguese is the most beautiful language I think I've ever heard. I love it, and wish I knew how to speak it better.

English, Bulgarian, a *little Russian, a little American Sign Language (the official language, not the road rage kind), a little Spanish. I've actually taken classes in at least 7 languages. I absolutely love language of any sort.

* little means I can/have squeeze(d) by in a situation

I speak English, French, Brazilian Portuguese, and a little Russian. I can also understand Spanish and Italian quite well as they are romance languages. I was speaking Spanish the other day, but I wouldn't say that I do, not until I actually set out to study it.

In response to Heavenguard's comments, I would disagree somewhat. I acknowledge that English has plenty of exceptions and it's not the easiest language to learn. But I have spent a lot of time with 2nd language English speakers (probably more than 1st language over the past couple years) and the majority of them don't find it that hard. I actually never heard somebody that's learned English talk about it being as hard as English speakers seem to believe it is.

Learning a language really isn't that hard if a person dedicates time to it everyday. I think it can be difficult to master dialects, pronunciation, and accents, but in general learning a language isn't hard. Almost everybody in the world has done it.

I'd recommend a great, free, language learning tool that I use: Livemocha: Learn Languages Online - English, Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin, ????

Awesome community there as well that is very helpful.

Portuguese is by far the prettiest language I have heard so far.

That is exactly what I said. I have a friend whose husband served his mission in Brazil, while I and another friend's husband served Spanish speaking. We give the Portuguese speaker a hard time about Spanish being "better" than Portuguese, but in reality, I love it.

I only speak English and Spanish.

I'm having a hard time teaching my kids Spanish,

in you live in Southern California it's becoming essential that

you are bilingual.

My little brother went to Japan on his mission, speaking fluently English/Spanish when he returned he was speaking two more languages, Japanese, and some Portuguese.

Not to add smoke to the fire....

I remember reading a Time magazine article a few months ago...

In short this article was talking about how so many business men in the world are learning Mandarine... And that in business it is more of an advantage to know Mandarine & not just English...

English is also one of the most difficult languages to learn in the world...

I speak English, Afrikaans, Swiss German, German.. A little bit of Xhosa, Bahasa Malay... I can understand a converstation in Dutch...

My little brother went to Japan on his mission, speaking fluently English/Spanish when he returned he was speaking two more languages, Japanese, and some Portuguese.

I wonder if I know you. I had a friend who spoke English and Spanish fluently, then was called to Japan. He spent 18 months trying to grasp the language, and when he finally did, he met a group of Peruvians in the subway one day who recognized the missionary badges. He taught a group of 20ish of them, and they all got baptized. My friend, another American, and two Brazilian elders opened the first Spanish speaking branch in all of Japan, at the base of Mt. Fuji.