Meeting relatives after death.

susanoo_mikoto

Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia

Speaking of the ultimate destinies of men, the Lord revealed that three kingdoms of glory exist -celestial, terrestrial, and telestial (D&C 76:88). Only those who abide a celestial law will enjoy "the presence of God and his Christ forever and ever", while those who earn a terrestrial glory only merit "the presence of the Son, but not of the fulness of the Father" (D&C 76:62, 77).

To enjoy "the presence of the Son" is to have this celestial being, Jesus the Christ, visit a terrestrial sphere on occasion. "Because they were honorable men, free from lying, adultery and kindred sins, they will receive of the Savior's glory. In other words, they will be entitled to visits from the Son, but not from the Father. They do not 'obtain the crown over the kingdom of our God.'" (SS, 462.)

Hemi,

This is talking about men who will be visited by the Savior but not the Father. Not that Christ can't visit the Telestial Kingdom. Christ is able to visit all the Kingdoms of his Father, our Heavenly Father.

applepanswy

Hemi,

This is talking about men who will be visited by the Savior but not the Father. Not that Christ can't visit the Telestial Kingdom. Christ is able to visit all the Kingdoms of his Father, our Heavenly Father.

applepanswy

That has always been my understanding as well, but I admit I have not studied into it.

It's going to be like a family reunion.

Look who's finally dead, sucker! Cmon, float over here -- I gotta show you this.

:lol:

I've always felt like families.. are joined by an invisible 'cord'. The closer the family the thicker the cord. If you're sealed.. perhaps.. one might be able to 'rescue' another family member who was awarded a lower kingdom [with time and effort, of course].

Just late night thoughts.

I would agree with Hemi. Can and would are two different things. The reason people are in the telestial kingdom is that they could not abide in the glory of the kingdom of Christ. For Christ to visit the telestial world would be to torture those there since they would suffer to be in his presence.

In mortal existence it would be like living inside the temple and wanting to go down to the the local alcohol alley to visit some of the folks. Just because you want to hang out. I don't see that happening.

Ben Raines

Being back my home ward this weekend and the next, after talking to the Vista Stake President, our Gospel Doctrine teacher was out in the hallway where I stop and talked to her. You gotta love your own home ward when most will not even know you but your family. As an older gentlemen remarked, “Hey, thanks for visiting.” :lol: Anyway, I brought up about those being punished in the Spirit Prison and in the end, will be left behind in this solar system. She looked at me with puzzlement. I went on to explain, as I looked outside, pointing at the telestial glorified world called the Sun.^_^

Edited by Hemidakota

You gotta love your own home ward when most will not even know you but your family.

Hemi, you got that right! :lol: I liked the way you stated it. That is one area that I think most of us in the church need to improve in and I include myself.

I remember being in my home ward priesthood meeting. A brother came up to me and welcomed me to church and was glad to see me. Asked me name, etc. He did that with everyone that was in the room at the time. It turned out, this brother was a visitor himself and he was fellowshipping us! What a great example that was! Some people just have that gift of fellowshipping, not afraid to meet and know people, and being sensitive to other people's needs or loneliness while others have to work at it. I'm still working at it.

Omega, you brought a point here. Something I had noticed in any vision or dreams being in the church, I was always greeted and then accompanied by another person. When we meet, they would tell you who they are and then why. It is interesting how we can do the same principle as you stated being seen in your own home ward.

I do expect many of us who cross the veil will be greeted and then accompanied someone that is familiar to us.

• 1 month later...

So I have a question that relates to this:

Are we only going to be greeted by our family and ancestors? Or is it possible that we could be greeted by other people as well?

My personal belief is that we will be greeted by the person that is closest to us, who will make our transition from this life to the next life easiest.

applepansy