Hi, i have a few questions

Shaunboulton

Hello, im new to the forums and im a recent convert to the church! :)

Im just asking for advice on a few things,

I sometimes say ,'Thank God' in a conversation and ever since i became a member im wondering if its right to say it, because whenever i do say it, i get a flood of guilt that i shouldnt say it.

Thankyou for any advice :)

Based only on my opinion I would say it does constitute taking the Lords name in vein. It's using it in a not needed light-hearted way. Plus, if you're feeling guilty about it, maybe that means you shouldn't do it. As with most habits, it might take a bit of time to completely erase it from your automatic saying that you say, but you can do it:) Aim for a day, then 3 days, then a week, then two weeks, then three weeks.

The funny thing is, people think nothing of saying Thank Goodness, which is really only another way of saying Thank God..I would have thought that you would only ever really use that phrase when you were especially grateful for a good outcome to a situation..perhaps it is more of a mini prayer than a taking of the name in vain?

"Thank God" = taking name in vain as it is too common of a phrase even if it was used appropriately.

"Thank the Lord!" = probably much more acceptable.

"Goodness Gracious Me" = doesn't include the Lord's name.

We can add to this list if you'd like? :)

If you are in a conversation to say something like, "Thank God Mary's health came back" then you're probably okay, so long as you are actually praising God for Mary's health.

If you're worried about someone showing up for a presentation and when they finally walk in the room 5 minutes late you say, "Oh Thank God!" this might be more questionable. It's a circumstantial thing that you might need some getting used to.

The other word I have a problem with is "Lord" and the way it's used casually. Such as: Lord, did you see that today? Or Lordy. To me it's the same as taking the Lord's name in vain.