What is the cost to serve a mission?

KenTheRealtor

this is just another thread the OP has started on the reasons he thinks he shouldn't go on a mission. it's all excuses. if you don't think a mission is for you, don't go on one.

i'm getting the feeling the original poster is trying to convince OTHERS not to go on a mission. always trying to find an excuse of what makes missions BAD, instead of what makes them GOOD. always finding something wrong with the GOOD experiences.

if you are meant to go on a mission, the Lord will make it possible. it's not easy, but you have to humble yourself before you can go. keep in mind that you're not spending money on movies, magazines, toys, etc. $400 isn't much, but you're not going on your mission to get the best of everything. you're going to do the work of the Lord.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay well first of all saying get a job is insulting because I have one, and saving up that much money isn't financially feasible for a job for a 21 year old.

Maybe I shouldn't go on a mission because I think I'd have a hard time dealing with pathetic people like you.

I don't think saying to get a job is insulting. It is expected that a missionary pay for at least a portion of his/her mission. In fact, when I wanted to serve a mission, my bishop told me to get a job. I was not able to pay for my entire mission by myself (my family did not support my mission). After discussing the situation with my bishop, I was able to receive financial help from other sources.

So, getting a job is a realistic and practical start in preparing for a mission.

Secondly, I must warn you...you will deal with more than just "pathetic people" while serving a mission. I was cursed, called names, physically attacked, among other things. Trust me, if you cannot deal with someone over the internet, then perhaps you are not prepared to serve as a representative of the Lord.

Again, I urge you to discuss your thoughts with your bishop. He is there to guide you and help you prepare spiritually, emotionally, financially, physically, etc. for a mission.

I believe that the $400/mo is for missionaries who leave from US/Canada. Any other missionary leaving from another country will not have the $400/mo--instead their expenses will be determined by the country where they are serving.

My understanding is that for those missionaries that pay the $400/mo but whose missions are less than that, will have the remainder of the $400 go towards another missionary who's expenses are more than the $400.

you are probally correct....judging from what susie is saying and yourself.....I am guessing from other countries it may be different...

My Baby Brothers eldest son will be leaving for his mission in England in Feb.

He has worked since graduation at the same company my Eldest Sister works for. She got him the job in the mail room. He told them from the very beginning that he could only work for two years as he was going on a mission for the LDS Church.

The company owners are not LDS. They hired him, promoted him and gave him raises. This Christmas he received a $750.00 bonus from work! He has lived with his Aunt only paying her 10% of his wages for room, board & gas. He has paid a full tithe, and banked the rest.

He has paid for his mission completely. I will be tithing money towards his mission via his home ward every month. If his father sets up an account where he can use a debit card to withdraw monies for emergencies, I will also deposit a modest amount to that.

When Baby Sister's only son was on his mission in Switzerland, he needed money in a hurry to buy new shoes. The soles on his actually fell off as he was out tracking. He was fortunate that a church member knew a cobbler and he was able to get his shoes re-soled. He also worked and paid for his entire mission.

We also sent him holiday (Christmas, New Year, Valentines, St. Pat's, his birthday, Easter, etc.) packages of socks, notepaper, pens, refills for pens, mechanical pencils with refill leads, etc. We really didn't send him candy or food. He kept asking for gloves/mittens. He was giving his away to the people he was teaching! Finally his ward knitted mittens and sent him 150 mittens to give to those that needed them in his area. My eldest brother gave him a bunch of Air Mail envelopes. I went to my Post Office and they told me what the postage would be and even got me stamps for him to use. Rather than pre-address the envelopes I gave him a few sheets of return address labels with the address's of the family on them.

I know of only one young man who had his mission paid for by others. His was not a very successful mission, and when he returned he had not grown in his faith. He was a mediocre member to start with and he is still a mediocre member now.

Husband and I are looking forward to serving a mission together in our retirement. My Eldest sister is looking forward to serving a misson too when she retires. She has been saving for it for some time. She occaisionally takes money from it - to tithe for others missions - and when she does go on her mission, I will tithe to her home ward in her name too.

The point is I'm not making excuses not to go on a mission, but finances are a real problem.

I already have money saved up, and I would mind using some for a mission, but I will not pay 9600 to volunteer, it is just out of the question.

The church asks you to donate your time and 2 years of your life, and yet they make you pay to do it.

And by the way, saying uhhh... get a job, is insulting, and because they don't know me is why.

How do you know what kind of bills I have to pay, or how much I make doing the job?

For your information, I am a college student, I do work full time as a restaurant manager, and part time as a real estate agent.

I will tell you if I do go on a mission, I am not going to be the same as everyone else, I will be my own person.

I will be nice and helpful to people as I can, but as soon as they start talking about crap they read on the internet about my church, or putting it down, that is when I walk out the door and say, we'll you are good enough for our church anyway so I am glad you do feel that way about it.

i'm getting the feeling the original poster is trying to convince OTHERS not to go on a mission. always trying to find an excuse of what makes missions BAD, instead of what makes them GOOD. always finding something wrong with the GOOD experiences.QUOTE]

No, actually it is you trying to talk people out of going on a mission. I'd be suprised if even half of you on here are LDS.

The point is I'm not making excuses not to go on a mission, but finances are a real problem.

I already have money saved up, and I would mind using some for a mission, but I will not pay 9600 to volunteer, it is just out of the question.

The church asks you to donate your time and 2 years of your life, and yet they make you pay to do it.

And by the way, saying uhhh... get a job, is insulting, and because they don't know me is why.

How do you know what kind of bills I have to pay, or how much I make doing the job?

For your information, I am a college student, I do work full time as a restaurant manager, and part time as a real estate agent.

I will tell you if I do go on a mission, I am not going to be the same as everyone else, I will be my own person.

I will be nice and helpful to people as I can, but as soon as they start talking about crap they read on the internet about my church, or putting it down, that is when I walk out the door and say, we'll you are good enough for our church anyway so I am glad you do feel that way about it.

For those who aren't aware of Ken, you might want to read his previous posts to get a better feel for what he offers in the mission field. Every few months, he posts about serving as a missionary and requests input. I would definitely recommend reading his previous posts for those who don't remember. This will get you a better image of who Ken as as a person.

Well who am I as a person?

Why would I be on here asking for input if I wasn't seriously considering it?

I wasn't even asking on your input about me going on a mission, I was simply asking what the cost is, and ways to get around having to pay what you cannot afford.

Then other people come on here saying stuff like I need to get a job, which I have one, and other insults they can think of.

Yes there are other reasons besides the money that are keeping me from going forward, but what if someone can't afford it?? Are they just not allowed to go then?

I just don't get why I come on here and get responses like this. None of you would say this if you were talking to me for real and not typing on a forum.

Well who am I as a person?

Why would I be on here asking for input if I wasn't seriously considering it?

I wasn't even asking on your input about me going on a mission, I was simply asking what the cost is, and ways to get around having to pay what you cannot afford.

Then other people come on here saying stuff like I need to get a job, which I have one, and other insults they can think of.

Yes there are other reasons besides the money that are keeping me from going forward, but what if someone can't afford it?? Are they just not allowed to go then?

I just don't get why I come on here and get responses like this. None of you would say this if you were talking to me for real and not typing on a forum.

I don't know, Ken. Who are you as a person? I just suggested people read previous posts that you had made. How can suggesting people get a full picture of what you're like be bad?

You should encourage people to search your older posts. That way, you wouldn't have to repeat what you had said so many times in previous posts.

Actually, I should be the first person to not be passive aggressive and simply state what I think. I have been around for all your previous posts, so I'm going to state what pretty much everyone on your previous posts came to the conclusion of:

Every few months, you come in posting questions about being a missionary. Then, you repeatedly bash the concept with a hammer. You're clearly not ready to go on a mission and I think you should get over yourself and either not go and live with the consequences without whining about it or go and live with the consequences without whining about it. Your choice. Good luck,

Okay well first of all saying get a job is insulting because I have one, and saving up that much money isn't financially feasible for a job for a 21 year old.

Maybe I shouldn't go on a mission because I think I'd have a hard time dealing with pathetic people like you.

Sounds like a personal attack to me.

I just thought maybe you were trying to make fun of me or something.

Basically, I just said my reasons not to go are.

1. The money

2. Being away from my family for 2 years

3. My age, by the time I'd be ready to go I'd be over 22, going on 23 and I think that going on a mission at that point of my life is a little unusual.

4. My depression, I think my stress and depressed moods might not be an asset as a missionary, and being away from my home may make it worse.

The sports thing I mentioned before is a big deal to me, but I can overlook that. I just meant waiting for a Cleveland team to win a championship is something I've been waiting for before I joined the church, and not being here to witness it would be hard, but I wouldn't skip a mission for that reason.

i'm getting the feeling the original poster is trying to convince OTHERS not to go on a mission. always trying to find an excuse of what makes missions BAD, instead of what makes them GOOD. always finding something wrong with the GOOD experiences.QUOTE]

No, actually it is you trying to talk people out of going on a mission. I'd be suprised if even half of you on here are LDS.

I think you need to eat some ice cream and chill.....and I am not LDS....:D:D

Sounds like a personal attack to me.

Well I apologize, but comments like that don't help me.

What if you made a comment that you had a hard time supporting your children and paying bills at the same time, and I said uhhhh.... then get a job.

I dont' have children, but it that is how it feels to have somone say that to me.

Actually if anyone asked me how they are supposed to pay for something...my first response would be to get a job. If they responsed they have one...we could go from there. Did JD know you already had a job? Perhaps he didn't, perhaps he did. You are assuming he knew you had one. Instead you choose to call him pathetic.

I just thought maybe you were trying to make fun of me or something.

Basically, I just said my reasons not to go are.

1. The money

2. Being away from my family for 2 years

3. My age, by the time I'd be ready to go I'd be over 22, going on 23 and I think that going on a mission at that point of my life is a little unusual.

4. My depression, I think my stress and depressed moods might not be an asset as a missionary, and being away from my home may make it worse.

The sports thing I mentioned before is a big deal to me, but I can overlook that. I just meant waiting for a Cleveland team to win a championship is something I've been waiting for before I joined the church, and not being here to witness it would be hard, but I wouldn't skip a mission for that reason.

my son in law went on his mission at age 25.....if you want to go...its up to you....:)

I know according to the regulations of missionaries I'm not too old, but I'm almost 22 now and I feel that I will be a little too old, and not in the right point in my life being a business manager, realtor, and with an associates degree in business management.

Don't tell me you never considered the cons when you went on a mission.

Well I want to go for the experience of helping social skills, and the window of opportunities that former missionaries talk about, because I want to become a police officer down the line possibly.

So I kind of feel a little guilty for going because I want blessings for myself. I would love the blessings I get later, but going around tracting all day and answering the same questions over and over sounds kind of like a drag to me.

I know according to the regulations of missionaries I'm not too old, but I'm almost 22 now and I feel that I will be a little too old, and not in the right point in my life being a business manager, realtor, and with an associates degree in business management.

Don't tell me you never considered the cons when you went on a mission.

yes I did.....lets see I was 20yrs old....Asst Manager at a store and just bought a brand new car....still went.....Savior gave up far more I did....:)

Well I want to go for the experience of helping social skills, and the window of opportunities that former missionaries talk about, because I want to become a police officer down the line possibly.

So I kind of feel a little guilty for going because I want blessings for myself. I would love the blessings I get later, but going around tracting all day and answering the same questions over and over sounds kind of like a drag to me.

its all atittude....you get out of it what you put into it....the choice is yours ....you don't wanna go...then don't go...

Palerider is correct if you are not willing to sacrifice for the Lord that has given you everything you have then your not ready for a mission. Don't go until you are, they have raised the bar and that means people that would have gone before are not being passed to go, its fantastic we may not have missionaries right now but when we have had we have had so many fantastic young men and women since the bar was raised noone half hearted.

If everything in you does not say I need to go to increase my relationship with God and grow closer to my Heavenly Father then don't as if you do, you do everyone you are supposed to be serving a disservice.

-Charley