Is it tacky to bring your own snacks to the movie theater?

RainofGold

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M&Ms are a luxury item?

Concessions at a movie theater are a luxury, in fact going to the theater in the first place is a luxury. I know we are an entitled people (speaking generally), but Holy Cow. Yes, candy at a movie theater is a luxury.

Edited by Dravin

I've brought M&Ms and bottled drinks into movie theaters before, mostly when I was breastfeeding and drinking water roughly in the amount of the Great Salt Lake each day. You just put the stuff in the baby bag or carrier and you're good to go.

This thread brings to my mind the age-old question of the ethics of Robin Hood. Yes, the movie theater has the right to demand you buy food from them, but doesn't there have to be a certain responsibility of the owner's part to not price-gouge their customers? Especially when they are the only theater in 45+ miles. I know all about supply and demand and how businesses set prices the market will pay but if we as customers have certain ethical behavior to follow why doesn't the theater owner?

Ethics come into play when you try to regulate how much a business can or has to charge for something. The value of anything is determined by how much someone else to pay for it. If the price is too high, don't buy it. If you don't agree with the business practices of any business, the don't patronize them.

If I had created something, like Reardon Metal for example, I would detest someone else telling me how much I could sell it for. I would have no issue if someone did not want to pay my asking price, as that means it would be less valuable to them than I believe it to be.

If people didn't buy any candy or popcorn, then maybe a theater might lower the price. As long as they are selling tickets and making a profit, it won't change, and more power to them.

I rarely go to the movies. Most often my wife and I will order a pay-per-view movie after the kids have gone to bed. costs 5-7 dollars, no candy marked sky high. My 47 inch tv is plenty big in our living room, and it saves us a lot of money that way.

maybe they're charging so danged much because they have to make up the money for the people who sneak food in... just like shoplifting raises the prices of the products, not buying your snacks inhouse that they budget in for each ticket sold causes the need to make more money on fewer sales.

maybe they're charging so danged much because they have to make up the money for the people who sneak food in... just like shoplifting raises the prices of the products, not buying your snacks inhouse that they budget in for each ticket sold causes the need to make more money on fewer sales.

First of all let me explain that I do not advocate doing something which the rules of the theatre say are not permitted. If the particular theatre says eating your own snacks on their premises is forbidden then it's their place and their rules so we should accept those rules or go elsewhere. However, if the theatre has no specific rule then I don't see the problem. If the people who sneak food in would buy the highly priced food on sale in the foyer then you might have a point - but I suspect that it would be more likely that they would choose not to eat anything. After all it is perfectly possible to sit through a film without dying of starvation.

It is not a commandment in any cinema that in order to watch a film there you must also buy food and drink. If people choose not to buy any they are not depriving the cinema.If sales are low it is the cinema itself cutting off its own nose to spite its face by charging such exhorbitant prices.

It is nothing like shoplifting. A shoplifter is depriving the shop of something. We are not talking about people who steal popcorn and hotdogs from the cinema and don't pay - that would be like shoplifting. Not buying cinema snacks is more akin to window shopping around dress shops then going home and making something yourself from material you already have.

Redbox only costs a dollar a night and you can invite all your neighbors to watch with you. Then you can bring in all the outside candy and popcorn you want.

Along similar lines I was just wondering how many people you can legally invite round to your home to watch a film you have purchased without the requirement for performing rights licence? If you hire a DVD you cannot legally lend it to a friend to watch before taking it back to the store - but what if the friend comes to your house and watches it there after you have seen it? If you have a pay to view TVchannel who is allowed to view it?

that's the EXACT same argument someone used last week to illegally copy media files. I'm not kidding. Word for word, maybe we had this conversation on another forum? Now, I'm not saying anyone is breaking a law when they do it in a theater (depending upon a municipality, I'm sure there are places it is illegal), but I'm comfortable saying if the theater didn't allow purses, bags, jackets, baggy clothes (like a night club dress code) most of these people find snacking during a movie so central to the experience, that they would buy snacks. How many of these people sneak food into sports and other entertainment venues where it is not allowed? Yes they are depriving the theater of something, needed profit that is budgeted for and needs to be made up for, potential future sales still being available has no bearing on the current loss of profit. As people have decided it's more and more acceptable to be dishonest about this the prices have gone up and up at an amazing rate. To the point that the theaters probably don't bother budgeting it in anymore, they just figure they'll take whatever little profit they'll get from the few honest people.

As for the # of people allowed to watch, the law is quite clear. You cannot charge an entrance fee or imply required purchases of products within the venue (such as at a restaurant) without a public viewing license, you may not show it in an group educational setting without a educational viewing license (home schoolers need not apply). You may have as many people as you like in your own personal home watch it for free.

Yes they are depriving the theater of something, needed profit that is budgeted for and needs to be made up for, potential future sales still being available has no bearing on the current loss of profit.

It is economical suicide to budget for snack sales alongside of ticket sales. Because the prices are so high I choose not to purchase them or to share one drink between 3. If this upsets their budgeting then tough. They cannot force me to pay their exhorbitant price of I prefer to do without. Food and drink purchasing is not a requirement when going to the cinema.

As for the # of people allowed to watch, the law is quite clear. You cannot charge an entrance fee or imply required purchases of products within the venue (such as at a restaurant) without a public viewing license, you may not show it in an group educational setting without a educational viewing license (home schoolers need not apply). You may have as many people as you like in your own personal home watch it for free.

I'm not sure it is that simple here. How about lending it to a friend before returning it? In both cases are you not depriving the video hire shop of income they would have had from the other people hiring the film?

I don't know about other places but here in SLC it's a bit more difficult to sneak things into a sports venue or concert etc. You have to go through a security checkpoint where they check bags, purses, etc.

And yes I agree..if I rent a movie, I can have 50 of my closest friends come to my home to watch it. As long as I'm not charging an entrance fee, then no problem.

I'm not sure it is that simple here. How about lending it to a friend before returning it? In both cases are you not depriving the video hire shop of income they would have had from the other people hiring the film?

Possibly, but it's not illegal. Nor do you sign any written agreement that you won't lend it to a friend. Honestly what would be the difference between me renting a movie and inviting all my siblings over to watch it than watching it alone and lending it to them to watch it all before the required time of return? I don't see a difference here. Either way they would have seen it on my buck.

Would not having family members over to enjoy their company while watching a movie that I rented also be depriving that same company of extra revenue? Would not allowing my adult child who lives with me to watch that same movie (that I rented) in his own bedroom be depriving that same company of revenue? So let me just tell my family that they can't come to my house to watch a movie because it would be depriving a company of extra revenue.

If I follow that line of logic, then that would be telling me that I can't enjoy having a family night in with a movie. That I can't enjoy having friends over to watch a movie. Because I'm depriving a company of another day of rental fees. I would have to tell my 18 year old son, "Sorry you can't watch this movie that I just rented for family usage because you need to go rent it yourself." Most movie rental companies budget that a movie will be rented X amount of times before it's put up for sale as a "previously viewed movie."

Also if I invite family members over to watch a movie and at the last minute one calls and says they aren't feeling well and can't make it..so I offer to let them borrow the movie as long as I have it back in time to return it..I fail to see the difference. They would have seen it in my home without renting it themself.

Edited by pam

Well, you know, according to a certain operating systems program maker, if you use the same program for multiple pcs in the same home you are violating trademark laws, that's why you have to buy either multiple copies or one for multiple computers. Wouldn't that be the same thing?

But by doing that Pam are you not depriving the video hire shop of potential income that they have budgetted for if your friends had each independantly hired that film?

When you sign up for a Blockbuster card, you sign this paper called "Terms and Conditions". Yes, you were supposed to have read and understood that piece of paper before affixing your signature.

Each store is different which is also different from Blockbuster online. But, in my store, there is no rule against having your friend watch a DVD you rented. The rule states though, that whoever rented the DVD is responsible for its safe return and responsible for any late fees that are incurred.

So, no, you are not depriving blockbuster of potential income because if it's not in the Terms and Conditions, blockbuster doesn't account for it as potential loss of income.

OK, so we seem to have a small consensus of opinion here that it is OK to reloan a hired video or show it to friends and you are not depriving the company of potential income from those other people possibly hiring it from the shop for thenselves - so would you agree that by not buying expensive popcorn and cola in a cinema you are not depriving the cinema of a potential sale which they expect from you by simple virtue of the fact that you are in their theatre?

Willow if I go strictly by your statement..(you didn't mention anything about bringing in outside food depriving the theater) just the fact that I'm in their theater doesn't mean I have to purchase their product. All retail businesses know that not every customer equates to a sale. I can go into a department store and just look around. Just by the simple fact that I'm in their store doesn't require that I purchase something.

OK, so we seem to have a small consensus of opinion here that it is OK to reloan a hired video or show it to friends and you are not depriving the company of potential income from those other people possibly hiring it from the shop for thenselves - so would you agree that by not buying expensive popcorn and cola in a cinema you are not depriving the cinema of a potential sale which they expect from you by simple virtue of the fact that you are in their theatre?

There is no rule in the theaters that I go to that states you have to buy refreshments to watch a movie. But, there is a rule in all the theaters I go to that you are not to bring outside food or drinks into the theater. This is also true for the stadium and the arena. The concerts held at the park also have this rule but some activities held at the park allow outside refreshments.

If there's a rule then it is cheating if you break that rule. "Sneaking" outside food or drinks in gives you a clue that you are cheating.

There are instances that theater management will allow you to bring in your own refreshments. If you're not sure that your situation is okay, just go to the theater information service and ask (not the ticket counter - there's a service desk apart from the ticket counter).

Disneyworld in Orlando, for instance, allows you to bring your own food or drinks but will not allow you to bring in a cooler that is bigger than what can fit in the park's lockers. You cannot bring anything in glass containers or any alcoholic beverage. I always bring my own food to Disneyworld unless my husband and I agree that we would budget for the convenience of not having to carry our own picnic. Their refreshments and dining places are even more exhorbitant than theaters. And yes, the tourists give you a "how tacky is that?" look when you take out the tupperwares.

So, take note of the rules and follow them. If you're not sure, ask.

Edited by anatess

The same here in Utah anatess at our amusement park Lagoon. You can bring in all the outside food and drinks you want. I've seen families bringing in 2-3 large coolers. I even watched someone drop a rotissierie chicken they were bringing in for their family to eat. So it does depend on the venue and what their rules are.

There is no rule in the theaters that I go to that states you have to buy refreshments to watch a movie. But, there is a rule in all the theaters I go to that you are not to bring outside food or drinks into the theater. This is also true for the stadium and the arena. The concerts held at the park also have this rule but some activities held at the park allow outside refreshments.

If there's a rule then it is cheating if you break that rule. "Sneaking" outside food or drinks in gives you a clue that you are cheating.

There are instances that theater management will allow you to bring in your own refreshments. If you're not sure that your situation is okay, just go to the theater information service and ask (not the ticket counter - there's a service desk apart from the ticket counter).

Disneyworld in Orlando, for instance, allows you to bring your own food or drinks but will not allow you to bring in a cooler that is bigger than what can fit in the park's lockers. You cannot bring anything in glass containers or any alcoholic beverage. I always bring my own food to Disneyworld unless my husband and I agree that we would budget for the convenience of not having to carry our own picnic. Their refreshments and dining places are even more exhorbitant than theaters. And yes, the tourists give you a "how tacky is that?" look when you take out the tupperwares.

I just want to give you a "shout out". IIRC you are an immigrant. It is funny (and sad) that there is this stereotype of immigrants (though mostly illegals) that they just want to use the system to their benefit, don't care about the rule etc. Yet here you are, the most vocal person on doing the right thing, and following the rules .

My hats off to you:hi::clap:

P.S. I have heard your avatar is a snake, but i just see a turtle. If it is a pet pic could you please update it for us "visually challenged":) Thanks

I just want to give you a "shout out". IIRC you are an immigrant. It is funny (and sad) that there is this stereotype of immigrants (though mostly illegals) that they just want to use the system to their benefit, don't care about the rule etc. Yet here you are, the most vocal person on doing the right thing, and following the rules .

My hats off to you:hi::clap:

P.S. I have heard your avatar is a snake, but i just see a turtle. If it is a pet pic could you please update it for us "visually challenged":) Thanks

It's not a turtle! It's a snake on top of a log.

Okay, here's a bigger version.

Posted Image

Cool, huh?

Very well said. In my opinion, sneaking food in when it is known to be against the business' policies is just plain dishonest.