Where, When, Why, How

Jenda

Originally posted by Jenda@Nov 29 2004, 08:33 PM

Do the LDS believe that every spirit that comes to earth has chosen where and when they will be here? It has something to do with the pre-existance, right?

No, that is not part of our theology...certain plays & videos notwithstanding.

Originally posted by Jenda@Nov 29 2004, 07:33 PM

Do the LDS believe that every spirit that comes to earth has chosen where and when they will be here? It has something to do with the pre-existance, right?

I don't think that. I don't pay that much attention in Church but I don't think anyone teaches that.

Do the LDS believe that every spirit that comes to earth has chosen where and when they will be here?  It has something to do with the pre-existance, right?

This is a concept of "agency". There are a number of thoughts.

1. That we acted in concert or if you will, we accepted assignments.

2. That we developed a plan and G-d in his wisdom figured how to put the whole thing together. Sort of like directing a choir.

3. G-d gave us a time to come to earth. The better spirits got better times and places.

Personally I tend towards #1. I think there could have been variations - such as some volunteered, going before the L-rd and asking - how can I serve? Others waited to be asked and some never intended to fulfill their assignments. I believe the type of souls is given in the parable of the sewer and it’s counterparts in the vision of the tree of life.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Nov 29 2004, 10:52 PM

As we look at our families who we have the opportunity to spend eternity with, I would think that placing of spirits would have to be deliberate. Is this concept wrong? What about genealogy, is this something we do as an after affect of this placing? This is a very interesting concept, that placement of our physical bodies group our spirits together. We are first one big family in heaven, our spirits are placed in physical bodies to come to earth and return to heaven with so much more.

Families have so much influence on each other that placement is such a responsibility. I have always felt that when I have a child, that my child is just on loan to me as if were. When Nick got hurt, I knew that he was not only my son but His son too and when I felt so helpless to do anything for Nick, I turned over his care to the Lord without a problem. Shortly after it was confirmed to me that Nick would live, I "took" him back again. One of my previous bishops came to visit us while Nick was in the hospital. He asked me how I was doing, and I told him that I was doing fine because things were going My way. He looked into my eyes and said, SF, things will always be fine because they will be the Lords way. Well, only being a week or so into his accident I felt...gee, to be THAT strong would really be a stretch for me. In hindsight, I think that I was, if only temporally, blessed with that much strength as I turned over Nicks' life to the Lord. I was only being human when I “took” him back to finish my assignment of caring for this child. I can’t stop looking at him and smiling. Sometimes when I do this I say “Who loves you Nick more then anything?” and every time, he points upward and then at himself. Oh, how I want him to say “you do mom” but it never comes. I have just come to realize that Nick has been right all along.

Now I just marvel at the miracle of Nick being saved. Nick was intentionally sent back to earth because it was not his time to go. I have since contemplated that he must have volunteered for that assignment, not necessarily for his benefit, but for the many lives that have been touched, and that will be touched by him and this continuing miracle.

Originally posted by Blessed@Nov 30 2004, 07:21 AM

Just started???

I was taught that from when I was knee high to a grass hopper.

Who taught you that, Blessed? And did they provide any scriptural support for it?

I had heard of it a while back, but I thought it was from some LDS and had something to do with how valiant we were in our testimonies in the pre-existence.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Nov 30 2004, 09:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Nov 30 2004, 09:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Nov 29 2004, 10:52 PM

As we look at our families who we have the opportunity to spend eternity with, I would think that placing of spirits would have to be deliberate. Is this concept wrong? What about genealogy, is this something we do as an after affect of this placing? This is a very interesting concept, that placement of our physical bodies group our spirits together. We are first one big family in heaven, our spirits are placed in physical bodies to come to earth and return to heaven with so much more.

Families have so much influence on each other that placement is such a responsibility. I have always felt that when I have a child, that my child is just on loan to me as if were. When Nick got hurt, I knew that he was not only my son but His son too and when I felt so helpless to do anything for Nick, I turned over his care to the Lord without a problem. Shortly after it was confirmed to me that Nick would live, I "took" him back again. One of my previous bishops came to visit us while Nick was in the hospital. He asked me how I was doing, and I told him that I was doing fine because things were going My way. He looked into my eyes and said, SF, things will always be fine because they will be the Lords way. Well, only being a week or so into his accident I felt...gee, to be THAT strong would really be a stretch for me. In hindsight, I think that I was, if only temporally, blessed with that much strength as I turned over Nicks' life to the Lord. I was only being human when I “took” him back to finish my assignment of caring for this child. I can’t stop looking at him and smiling. Sometimes when I do this I say “Who loves you Nick more then anything?” and every time, he points upward and then at himself. Oh, how I want him to say “you do mom” but it never comes. I have just come to realize that Nick has been right all along.

Now I just marvel at the miracle of Nick being saved. Nick was intentionally sent back to earth because it was not his time to go. I have since contemplated that he must have volunteered for that assignment, not necessarily for his benefit, but for the many lives that have been touched, and that will be touched by him and this continuing miracle.

How is Nick Strawberry? I hope with all my heart, good things continue to come your way.

Jenda,

I’m not going to preach the gospel to you, but I will recommend that you search the main Church website to find more information about this. I particularly recommend a talk titled ‘God Foreordains His Prophets and His People’, by Elder and Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, which you can find by doing a search with the keyword “preexistence”.

Originally posted by Jenda@Nov 29 2004, 09:33 PM

It has to do with how we did in our first estate ( pre-existence). My understanding is that those who did not reject the plan of salvation were able to be born to this side of the veil. The more one embraced Christ's & Heavenly Father's plan, the better the choices (my ideology, not necessarily LDS). Those who were neutral to the plan of salvation without rejecting it, were to be born here also. Those who followed Satan, well you know what happened, 1/3 cast out.

My 6 year old daughter has trisomy 21, also known as Down syndrome. My personal belief is that this extra chromosome was given to her as a protection and a pre arrangement between her, Christ and her heavenly parents. She has a free ticket home, never to have to be tested, Satan can never tempt her. She is celestial.

Originally posted by Behunin@Nov 30 2004, 08:06 PM

My 6 year old daughter has trisomy 21, also known as Down syndrome. My personal belief is that this extra chromosome was given to her as a protection and a pre arrangement between her, Christ and her heavenly parents. She has a free ticket home, never to have to be tested, Satan can never tempt her. She is celestial.

I believe that as well.

I also believe that we have a great deal to learn from these children.

Originally posted by Jenda+Nov 30 2004, 09:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ Nov 30 2004, 09:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Blessed@Nov 30 2004, 07:21 AM

Just started???

I was taught that from when I was knee high to a grass hopper.

Who taught you that, Blessed? And did they provide any scriptural support for it?

I had heard of it a while back, but I thought it was from some LDS and had something to do with how valiant we were in our testimonies in the pre-existence.

My parents believed it, I was taught in Sunday school (note: all of my teachers left and became Restorationists) and even Reg and his family believes it and we didn't meet until 1988 and their families are life long.

I think the basis of it comes from Genesis (IV) where it speaks we were created spiritually before we came to earth and also in Psalms where He said He knew us before we were created in our mother's womb. Now, to explain scriptually that we got to choose who we are and are circumstances... don't know. But I have been taught this and personally believe it.

Originally posted by Jenda@Nov 30 2004, 09:40 AM

SF, it is great to read such a positive testimony about Nick. :)

Dawn,

The church teaches that those who kept their "first estate" in the pre-existance were privileged to come to this earth...receive their bodies and to be tested. We didnt care for how long or short...if we would be impoverished or kingly...healthy or disabled in some way. That fact that we were here and "in the game" was the goal.

As far as I know...I have not read any official stance with respect to the other concepts you put forward...such as choosing our time, parents..circumstances etc. It will not suprise me however, to find out in some future day that our degree of faithfulness gave us an opportunity to choose some of these various options.

Let me go back for a second....the church does teach that those who have held "keys" of the priesthood....indeed..the priesthood itself, were foreordained to do so in the preexistance based upon their faith and valiance.

randy

....I would just like to add that I absolutely agree that those among us who have Downs...Cerebral Palsey...or any other mental disability....that in the preexistance they were among THE most noble, valiant and faithful among us. I would venture to say...that if we were to know who they were in the pre-existance and their status there....we would bow in humble reverence and respect. IMO.

Originally posted by Amillia@Nov 30 2004, 12:30 PM

How is Nick Strawberry? I hope with all my heart, good things continue to come your way.

Amillia,

Thank you.

He is still working within the miracle as he continues to improve and everyday we are with him we feel truly blessed.

I am working on being able to post a photo of him that will show how far he has come. When I am able to post that I would also like to share with my friends here about an awareness program I have been working on. :)

Originally posted by Jenda@Nov 30 2004, 09:40 AM

SF, it is great to read such a positive testimony about Nick. :)

I hesitate to say thank you because I don't want to appear proud. Nick for the past several months has been most of my focus, but I don't take the credit for his recovery. I do appreciate your nice comment. As I am sure everyone knows, I wear my heart on my sleeve and I never am sure how something I say will be perceived.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Dec 1 2004, 09:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Dec 1 2004, 09:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Nov 30 2004, 12:30 PM

Amillia,

Thank you.

He is still working within the miracle as he continues to improve and everyday we are with him we feel truly blessed.

I am working on being able to post a photo of him that will show how far he has come. When I am able to post that I would also like to share with my friends here about an awareness program I have been working on. :)

My prayers are with you all.

I am very eagerly awaiting what ever you have in the way of programs. :)

Guest GOD'S ARMY

Originally posted by Jenda@Nov 29 2004, 09:33 PM

Not sure if this point of view has been expressed, but the closest thing to this that I have ever heard was that depending on the type of spirit we were....or our level of obedience, and faith that, that somehow determined the types of challenges we would have in this life. Not to be undoctrinal or apostate, but those who die before the age of accountability and those who are born into a bad environment and spend a life tormented by corruption and perversion and reject God at every turn because they have never known His love are not exactly given a an even test....assuming that we know what the test is. I do not believe, nor have I been taught that we chose our lives. I do believe that God chose our tests depending on who we were as a spirit child.