Missionary Work in China?

ruthiechan

Taiwan is a different country and Hong Kong is not considered a part of mainland China. Both Hong Kong and Taiwan do have missions though and many missions worldwide have Mandarin and Cantonese speaking missionaries.

Proselyting is prohibited in mainland China. There are LDS congregations that meet in China though.

Hey all, have we started missionary work in China yet. I wasn't sure, but couldn't find any modern info on it.

We are the only religion that is allowed inside China. We have several branches and a couple of wards in the capitol city. The government does not allow any door-to-door knocking as to missionary effort but allow the members to be baptized and hold meetings.

China is still allowing missionaries, a temple, and stakes [including wards and branches] on the island of Hong Kong. A mutual respect for the church...^_^

You will gain a deeper prospect to know when President of China would visit America, one of his first or latter stops is to talk to the President of the Church. ;)

I don't consider Taiwan part of the Chinese domain.

proselyting

pros⋅e⋅lyte  /ˈprɒsPosted Imageəˌlaɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation Posted Image [pros-uh-lahyt] Show IPA Pronunciation Posted Image

noun,verb,-lytâ‹…ed,-lytâ‹…ing.

–noun1. a person who has changed from one opinion, religious belief, sect, or the like, to another; convert. –verb(usedwithoutobject),verb(usedwithobject)

The correct spelling of the word is:

proselytizing

pros⋅e⋅lyt⋅ize  /ˈprɒsPosted ImageəPosted Imagelɪˌtaɪz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation Posted Image [pros-uh-li-tahyz] Show IPA Pronunciation Posted Image

–verb(usedwithobject),verb(usedwithoutobject),-ized,-iz⋅ing.to convert or attempt to convert as a proselyte; recruit.

Also, especiallyBritish, prosâ‹…eâ‹…lytâ‹…ise.

(taken from Dictionary.com )

The Hong Kong temple was built before Hong Kong was annexed back into China. I believe China's attitude is that if they wait long enough the Western influence will die out there.

I also do not consider Taiwan to be a part of China, although China disagrees. The Taiwanese (I believe that's what they're called) do not consider themselves to be under Chinese rule, they are much freer, have relatively free elections, and have weapons provided by the US to defend themselves if the Chinese ever decide they want the island back. China views them as wayward children who will return to the fold one day.

We are the only religion that is allowed inside China. We have several branches and a couple of wards in the capitol city. The government does not allow any door-to-door knocking as to missionary effort but allow the members to be baptized and hold meetings.

China is still allowing missionaries, a temple, and stakes [including wards and branches] on the island of Hong Kong. A mutual respect for the church...^_^

You will gain a deeper prospect to know when President of China would visit America, one of his first or latter stops is to talk to the President of the Church. ;)

I don't consider Taiwan part of the Chinese domain.

We always joked with our son about serving in China.....he went to Panama....:)

My wife and I returned from an 18 month mission in Macau, China about three years ago. We worked under the mission president in Hong Kong and cooperated with the area presidency and missionaries.

We had three branches in tiny Macau, meeting in the same location. Quite a few members lived in the mainland just a few yards from Macau and returned after meetings. I have seen as many as 12 adults from the mainland baptized at a time in Macau though we are not allowed to proselytize in the mainland. There is a temple and quite a few wards and branches in Hong Kong.

The Church has excellent relations with the government in Beijing and carefully keeps all the laws and requests of the government. When we traveled to Beijing we were required to sign a paper that we would not discuss our religious beliefs while in the mainland. We did not do so even when asked.

My understanding is that the church could register in mainland China but the government would have the right to appoint bishops and other leaders so the time is not yet right. There are many Christian churches in mainland China, some registered, and some underground. We have a few authorized branches. If I recall correctly two or three mainland Chinese missionaries were serving missions when we were there. One I think in Australia, one in Taiwan, not sure about the other.

A couple in our Ward just came back from Singapore mission and told of the FIRST time ever that native born Chinese had a temple trip for youth doing baptisms for the dead (in Hong Kong of course). These were not foreign nationals or expatriots but real Chinese youth going to the temple. It was a very touching story.

I know you all enjoyed the story about the Cninese government high official who came to SLC and after visting Welfare Square and learned about fast offerings paid his offering the next day. We more than any other are making headways there.

My brother-in-law is a Fundamentalist (anti Mormon). He told us he and other like him would sew Bibles into their coats and clothes and smuggle them across the border into China- breaking the law, but felt great that they broke the law for Christ's sake.

As you know we have been told that we as LDS will go in the front tdoor or not at all. I felt a very bad spirit when my bil told me he was not honoring their laws.

When visting years ago this same brother in law took two of my sons one 6 an one 8 to the 'store'. While in the car he stried to 'save' them. He told them how bad our salavtion based on words was (though untrue). He continued how he had healed, spoken in tounges, performed miracles etc. etc. My young son, with widsom beyond his age, said, "Hey Mark, those sound like works to me!" That shut him up for a long time.:o

Regards,

Abraham