"LOST" -- from conversion to addiction

Misshalfway

I have avoided watching the "LOST" show for as long as I can. I finally broke down and watched season one. Somewhere between episode 4 and the season finally, my conversion to the series turned to addiction and I have now spent the last two weekends completely immersed in season two. I finished the season finally last night.

I am now plagued with one liners everywhere I go. I must say..... "Don't tell me what I can't do!"....and...."RUN!"....and I have this crazy impulse to call people things like "staypuff" and "Thelma" and "deep dish" and "Mr. Clean".

I know....I need help. Real serious help!

Edited by Misshalfway

i didn't start watching til season 2. i remember it like it was yesterday. they were doing a catch up show like they do every so often and i watched it.

and then i was addicted.

i still haven't seen the first season, but i told a friend i'm going to sit down with her and make her watch all the seasons, then she'll know how awesome it is.

I've been addicted from the beginning too. And go through terrible withdrawal during the many months it's not on.....

oh horrible withdrawal. . . I want all the story NOW. I most difinitely don't like the new season time schedules. :eek:Show half the season in the spring and another half in the fall. GRRRRR

applepansy

oh horrible withdrawal. . . I want all the story NOW. I most difinitely don't like the new season time schedules. :eek:Show half the season in the spring and another half in the fall. GRRRRR

applepansy

Yeah....who thought of that??? Torture your fans..... that makes sense.....whatever.

I stopped watching it after the blond girl died. Her death was stupid and meaningless to me. It also felt like the writers were just making stuff up as they go along (it had the same pattern a Game Master has when their players completely do something different than expected and the GM has to think on his feet, and make stuff up). Then I found out that on the DVD extras that the writers confessed that even they don't know what's going on. . .

Killed it for me, which is too bad. Mira Furlong is great in it though (the lady with the accent who was living on the island for years alone).

I stopped watching it after the blond girl died. Her death was stupid and meaningless to me. It also felt like the writers were just making stuff up as they go along (it had the same pattern a Game Master has when their players completely do something different than expected and the GM has to think on his feet, and make stuff up). Then I found out that on the DVD extras that the writers confessed that even they don't know what's going on. . .

Killed it for me, which is too bad. Mira Furlong is great in it though (the lady with the accent who was living on the island for years alone).

Wait....are you talking about Shannon?

Then I found out that on the DVD extras that the writers confessed that even they don't know what's going on. . .

In television, as in all fictional written media, a writer doesn't always know what's going to happen next. I wrote a short story for a contest a few months back, that had events happen to the characters based on their disbelief in something. I received a lot of positive feedback on it, and several comments wondering "what would have happened to them if they had believed?" The answer is that I don't know. I still don't know, and it's been several months since I wrote it.

One of my favorite books is the Count of Monte Cristo. In my last reading of it, there was a character that I realized had lesbian undertones. It wasn't obvious or overt, but it was there nonetheless. I discussed it with a friend later, and she had noticed the same thing. We talked and talked about it, and we couldn't decide whether or not Alexandre Dumas knew that his character was gay.

That's the beauty of television though. Watching a show from pilot to series finale, all in a short amount of time is neat. Sometime in season five, the ex-wife of a main character gets remarried, but you haven't heard anything about them since the 4th episode of the entire series. The writers don't always know what's going to happen. Discovery is part of the journey, and it's fun when you finally figure out where something is going next. Sometimes you create a character, and then the character runs their life.

In television, as in all fictional written media, a writer doesn't always know what's going to happen next. I wrote a short story for a contest a few months back, that had events happen to the characters based on their disbelief in something. I received a lot of positive feedback on it, and several comments wondering "what would have happened to them if they had believed?" The answer is that I don't know. I still don't know, and it's been several months since I wrote it.

One of my favorite books is the Count of Monte Cristo. In my last reading of it, there was a character that I realized had lesbian undertones. It wasn't obvious or overt, but it was there nonetheless. I discussed it with a friend later, and she had noticed the same thing. We talked and talked about it, and we couldn't decide whether or not Alexandre Dumas knew that his character was gay.

That's the beauty of television though. Watching a show from pilot to series finale, all in a short amount of time is neat. Sometime in season five, the ex-wife of a main character gets remarried, but you haven't heard anything about them since the 4th episode of the entire series. The writers don't always know what's going to happen. Discovery is part of the journey, and it's fun when you finally figure out where something is going next. Sometimes you create a character, and then the character runs their life.

What are you? Poster child for the writers guild?

Yes, I think I am referring to Shannon. The sister.

Wingnut, when writing you should always have an end in mind, and you should have an idea of what's going to happen. These guys are literally just making it all up as they go along. The shooting of the native was a way to get out of having to reveal answers that they don't have. They have no idea what's with the numbers, or why the island has some weird creatures in it or anything. I don't like that. I find it very unfulfilling.

An author does not have to know absolutely positively everything, but you should have a basic outline of a plot, which the creators and writers of Lost do not have.

An author does not have to know absolutely positively everything, but you should have a basic outline of a plot, which the creators and writers of Lost do not have.

Perhaps that's why I don't like LOST? :D

I'm just saying sometimes a writer comes up with an idea, and then lets the story unfold itself as it goes. Maybe they have an end in mind, but then it just doesn't work.