Freak Dancing??

RainofGold

All I remember is that when I went to public schools in southern California in the early 90's, the regular school dress code applied to informal dances. As for dancing styles, when I was in high school, mosh pits were the big worry for the school staff. "Freak" dancing was just starting, and if the staff saw something inappropriate, they would stopped that form of dancing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O_O

Okay, I (1) haven't seen this in high school, so either we're very sheltered here where I am, and (2) I don't watch MTV so I don't know what it is either. Well, yes, I can imagine what it'd be, though.

I never watch MTV. Once in a while, VH1. Any of the music videos I watch never have that stuff in. (Although I know there is stuff on VH1 as well, I know to steer clear of it.)

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but didn't you ever see the movie Dirty Dancing? While the movie was technically set in the 60's (though only so that the abortion which happened in the movie was illegal), the costumes, hairstyles, and general feel of the movie was very much the 80's (and if you don't believe me, watch the dance sequence at the end, and tell me it doesn't look like a Michael Jackson video). Freak dancing is nothing new. I'm not saying that makes it okay, or that it should be dismissed, but it's not news.

The difference is that freak dancing is SOOOO vulgar, that really any pretense to dance has been removed. So, while sexually suggestive dancing has been around for a long time......this is just really an example of gross misconduct and disregard for decency."Freak" has become a new slang word for another taboo expletive.

Your daughter sounds like a great girl - I wish all LDS young women were more like her.

I remember that during high school dances I would have felt just as comfortable at a strip club (maybe a little exaggerated lol... but not much.) I went to a prom a few years back and the dancing was disgusting. A very popular dance move among couples was for the girl to bend over and the boy to thrust his pelvis onto her butt as they gyrated to the music.... disgusting. It was so uncomfortable, I really wish I didn't go to any of my high school Proms and just went to the LDS ones. I advise that for ANY youth... go the the LDS Prom. High School Proms are nothing special - maybe they once were, but now they're filled with vulgar music and lewd, immoral dancing. It is not a place for a young LDS woman, or man to be.

Again, congratulations on your daughter. I wish more young women would stand for what's right like her!

Edited by StallionMcBeastly

All I remember is that when I went to public schools in southern California in the early 90's, the regular school dress code applied to informal dances. As for dancing styles, when I was in high school, mosh pits were the big worry for the school staff. "Freak" dancing was just starting, and if the staff saw something inappropriate, they would stopped that form of dancing.

And therein lies part of the problem. The school staff and the chaperones do not stop the inappropriate dancing, nor do they simply turn off the music to get their point across.

This is a concern in my area as well. One LDS parent was chaperoning at a dance and she was the only one breaking it up. The Principal basically said, "they don't really know what they're doing. They're just kids." :eek: The parents just sat back and watched, including other LDS parents.

This is a very serious issue and violates the law of chastity. Virtuous women do not dry hump doggy style and call it freak dancing and say that it's okay because it's dancing.

This is a very serious issue and violates the law of chastity. Virtuous women do not dry hump doggy style and call it freak dancing and say that it's okay because it's dancing.

Ruthiechan,

Thanks for that comment.

I guess that they want to call it "dancing" but is more like having sex on the dance floor with clothes on.

I'm glad that the school decided to change the dance rules after having many parents and teachers complained about it.

I'm relieved that most of you think that this is inappropriate. My daughter gets teased a lot in school for being a goody good girl and make fun of her calling her old fashioned and a prude.

StallionMcbeastly,

I wish we had more young men in our stake that think like you. I showed my daughter your comment and she was happy to see that other lds young men still appreciate girls that behave like her.

Thanks again,

Rain:p

The difference is that freak dancing is SOOOO vulgar, that really any pretense to dance has been removed. So, while sexually suggestive dancing has been around for a long time......this is just really an example of gross misconduct and disregard for decency.

I wasn't justifying or rationalizing it...just pointing out that it wasn't new. I totally agree with your assessment.

You would have to excuse my casual island jargon...but before I became saint I just to say to those wild dancing girls: "...if you are so eager to show off your stuff and give it away...thanks.... I think I'll pass."

That (dirty dancing) is just a desperate attempt to attract attention. And to make matters worse, if you shake yourself like a piece of meat on a hook, guess what? the dogs are coming.

Just some thoughts

The only reason I went to prom was that it was a rite of passage of sorts, but it was lame. People only showed up to have their picture taken. You pay to get in, pay to have your picture taken, then go somewhere else to pay for dinner. But thank goodness no one freak danced at my school!

Now if it happens at my kids' school someday, I think we will ruin it by getting a bunch of parents to crash the dance, imitate them, and show them just how stupid it is and how it is not dancing.

I admire your daughter, now adays with the youth in our country and around the world most young men arent cool unless they are "gangsta" and girls arent cool unless theyre "hoes". If you ask most kids (13-30) what theyre definition of a man is its the guy that has sex with all the girls and so much money it falls out of his pockets, drinks smokes and does drugs or deals drugs. And for the girls its whoever gets drunk, gets taken advantage of or just plain puts herself out there. Its really sad, I see other people my age and I can tell that these activities truly are tools of satan because of how enticing they are. And he knows that the younger he can hook them the less they understand and the more they are susseptable. If anything I think this reflects on you as a mother, keep up the good work, youre a role model

I admire your daughter, now adays with the youth in our country and around the world most young men arent cool unless they are "gangsta" and girls arent cool unless theyre "hoes". If you ask most kids (13-30) what theyre definition of a man is its the guy that has sex with all the girls and so much money it falls out of his pockets, drinks smokes and does drugs or deals drugs. And for the girls its whoever gets drunk, gets taken advantage of or just plain puts herself out there. Its really sad, I see other people my age and I can tell that these activities truly are tools of satan because of how enticing they are. And he knows that the younger he can hook them the less they understand and the more they are susseptable. If anything I think this reflects on you as a mother, keep up the good work, youre a role model

First, since when are 30-year-olds "kids?"

Second, I think you're exaggerating more than a little bit. I've never known anyone who would agree with your definition of a "man." Personally, if someone described that person to me, I would remark that he needed to do some serious growing up before he was really a "man."

I know the kind of dancing you're talking about. You can't go to a high school dance and not see it.

I went to a few school dances, and it was fun, I danced with my friends and we didn't dance like that. But, it wasn't the best atmosphere ever.

I probably would have an easier time feeling the spirit in a bar than a school dance. I don't think she'll be missing anything by not going to school dances. You lead by what you do and what you don't do. She can be an example by going to the dance and behaving righteously or by not going. I had a lot more fun with my friends in high school the nights we hung out NOT at school dances. Thinking right now of dancing in my friends basement like a goof with music blaring with about 7 of us there. Much more fun then school dances.

Glad to hear you have a daughter who can tell evil for what it is. Dancing like that is literally a step away from going all the way.

Ruthiechan,

Thanks for that comment.

I guess that they want to call it "dancing" but is more like having sex on the dance floor with clothes on.

I'm glad that the school decided to change the dance rules after having many parents and teachers complained about it.

I'm relieved that most of you think that this is inappropriate. My daughter gets teased a lot in school for being a goody good girl and make fun of her calling her old fashioned and a prude.

StallionMcbeastly,

I wish we had more young men in our stake that think like you. I showed my daughter your comment and she was happy to see that other lds young men still appreciate girls that behave like her.

Thanks again,

Rain:p

Thank you for the compliments. Glad it made your daughter happy. Tell her she should be proud for being called a goody girl, old fashioned, and a prude. Being what her peers consider a goody girl, old fashioned and a prude is what God desires for her to be. I've been called them all (except goody girl haha) - if being a prude means I want to keep the WoW and keep myself morally clean, then yeah, call me a prude.

Thank you for the compliments. Glad it made your daughter happy. Tell her she should be proud for being called a goody girl, old fashioned, and a prude. Being what her peers consider a goody girl, old fashioned and a prude is what God desires for her to be. I've been called them all (except goody girl haha) - if being a prude means I want to keep the WoW and keep myself morally clean, then yeah, call me a prude.

:wub:StallionMcBeastly, this is Rains daughter. thank you so much for the compliments! i would so totally date you if u lived closer! i wish there were more guys like you! im your age so thats lucky right? ;)

ps do u have a myspace???

:wub:StallionMcBeastly, this is Rains daughter. thank you so much for the compliments! i would so totally date you if u lived closer! i wish there were more guys like you! im your age so thats lucky right? ;)

Haha...nice!

(He's a pretty good-lookin' guy, though! I'll admit that much.)

Haha aaanndd thank you for the kind words. What's your name and where are you from?

I do have a myspace, but I rarely use it. I do the whole facebook deal - search Tony Mazzaferro on facebook and you should find me. I have the same picture on there as on here.

Thanks, and please keep so totally being a righteous chick! I really do appreciate it.

:cool: