Meditation

aranyborju

I do my method has been rather cobbled together from books and guided meditation tapes and CDs, basically I breathe and tell my body to relax, I breathe relaxation in and tension out, I breathe evil and wicked thoughts out, good and the Holy Ghost.

Often take myself into the Celestial Room or my heart and use that to pray

-Charley

I do my method has been rather cobbled together from books and guided meditation tapes and CDs, basically I breathe and tell my body to relax, I breathe relaxation in and tension out, I breathe evil and wicked thoughts out, good and the Holy Ghost.

Often take myself into the Celestial Room or my heart and use that to pray

-Charley

Just a small suggestion – since I am often misunderstood concerning covenants – please do not jump to conclusions. Just consider: The next time you visit the temple, listen very carefully for hints or instructions for the proper way to engage in prayer at the temple; then, having done so, use the time in the Celestial room for listening, learning and becoming aware of what the spirit adds.

The Traveler

Thanks Traveler,

I have often thought that the Temple would be the best place for such activity. I started looking into meditation because I enjoy the spirit and relaxation that I find in the Temple, and want to envoke something similar at work/home, since I don't live close enough to a Temple to go as often as I would like.

I will try to pay attention to what you are talking about the next time I am there.

Just a small suggestion – since I am often misunderstood concerning covenants – please do not jump to conclusions. Just consider: The next time you visit the temple, listen very carefully for hints or instructions for the proper way to engage in prayer at the temple; then, having done so, use the time in the Celestial room for listening, learning and becoming aware of what the spirit adds.

The Traveler

sorry made it unclear when I meditate I am not physically in the celestial room - it is the place I use in my mind, to say my prayers and to concentrate hardest on the Lord its the place I want to be not where I actually am. I do meditate in the Celestial Room but that is a method that takes the quiet in and increases my concerntration.

-Charley

Thanks Traveler,

I have often thought that the Temple would be the best place for such activity. I started looking into meditation because I enjoy the spirit and relaxation that I find in the Temple, and want to envoke something similar at work/home, since I don't live close enough to a Temple to go as often as I would like.

I will try to pay attention to what you are talking about the next time I am there.

I had hoped to spark some thinking about prayer (specific to the temple). However, I do not feel that it is appropriate to go any farther. I would also like to stress the concept of a sacred place or sacred grove. This would be a place where we can leave the world and thoughts of the world behind and open our hearts and then to be still and wait upon the L-rd. If we design some personal place in our home or nearby we should be careful to use such a place by covenant. If possible, I would suggest dedicating and consecrating a place via the priesthood for such a purpose.

The Traveler

I sometimes walk around saying 'mellowwwwwww............., mellowwwwwwwwwwwwww.......... , mellowwwwwwwwww..............

actually lol that is a form of meditation - living your life mindfully and paying attention to what you need as you move around.

-Charley

Does anyone here meditate? And if so how?

good morning to you!

i felt i should put in my $.02 as i think i am the only buddhist on this forum and meditation is to buddhism what prayer is to christianity....

the amount of meditation that i do each day may prove a little much for some people, but i have had my whole life to become accustomed to it.

it begins each morning. as i wake up in the morning and open my eyes i usually recite to myself....

Waking up this morning I smile

knowing there are 24 brand new hours before me.

I vow to live fully in each moment,

and look at beings with eyes of compassion.

i try can start my day with the happiness of a smile and the aspiration to dedicate myself to the path of love and understanding. i am aware that each day is a fresh, new day, and i have 24 precious hours to live.

also, wherever i walk, i try to practice meditation. this means that i know that i am walking. i walk with freedom and solidity, no longer in a hurry. i am present with each step. and when i wish to talk i stop my movement and give my full attention to the other person, to words and to listening.

of course, this doesn't always work. we often get in a hurry in life and forget to take the time to "smell the roses," so to speak. we should be able to do it in every moment. look around and see how vast life is, the trees, the white clouds, the limitless sky. listen to the birds. feel the fresh breeze. life is all around and we are alive and healthy and capable of walking in peace.

it is so nice to enjoy every step we make. each step is nourishing and healing. as we walk with mindfullness, we imprint our gratitude and our love on the earth.

how many of us get the opportunity to be outdoors every day? probably very few of us....the buddha did not, however, teach that we must go to a quiet place of solitude in a forest in order to meditate. we can practice meditation literally anywhere.

to participate in working meditation can be a great happiness. when we wash the cars, or turn the compost piles or make dinner (or do homework with children), we can stay mindful of our breathing and the activity that we are doing. we speak only when necessary and about the work at hand. we can maintain a light and easy feeling as we work. sweeping and mopping we see that we are already practicing to calm our mind and body. try not be in too great of a hurry to get the job done.

working meditation links us to our everyday life, both at work and when we return home. as we are working at our computer or preparing dinner for our family or teaching a class, we can practice stopping, calming and refreshing ourselves with our conscious breathing. we can relax and smile at our co-workers and pace ourselves to maintain a light and serene state of being.

all this is very easy, right?? ^_^ it takes a great deal of practice. the miracle of it, however, is that there is great joy and benefit from even the practice.

there is much, much more i could say on meditation (from sitting traditionally in the lotus position to meditation before bed), and if you care to hear it i am happy to share.

i hope all is well with you and i wish you peace.

meditation is a very important part of my dealing with depression... Sometimes it is as simple as being quiet and breathing deep... Other times it is much more .....Learning about breathing... concentrating on thoughts .. releasing negatives.. positive reinforcements ... and again breathing are most important in my battle with depression.

Guest missingsomething

I mediate in the bathtub. I use some great stuff..made by LUSH- that makes me feel all girly.... I use my Ipod or I read my scriptures...and have been known to actually fall asleep. Music helps me calm more than anything and during the day I just keep reminding myself that i am taking that 30 min for myself when the house is quiet.

Guest missingsomething

Oh... another thing I learned is a few yoga poses. I do these... wherever...the kitchen etc when I get especially stressed. I have also found squeezing my fist together keeps me from yelling when I REALLY want to yell. :)

Bodhi i would love for you to share more - I am trying really hard to work at doing things mindfully, but its very hard to break many years of doing them mindlessly especially with the kids and not being well right now.

-Charley

i would love to. is there any particular thing that i can help with or for which you have a question about meditation? (please know that i am not an expert, but i have practiced meditation the whole of my life, and i like to think that i am good at it LOL.) ^_^

how many of us get the opportunity to be outdoors every day? probably very few of us....the buddha did not, however, teach that we must go to a quiet place of solitude in a forest in order to meditate. we can practice meditation literally anywhere.

Usually when I return, I would quietly go to my room after checking in on the family for an hour or so...we are on the right track.

Oh... another thing I learned is a few yoga poses. I do these... wherever...the kitchen etc when I get especially stressed. I have also found squeezing my fist together keeps me from yelling when I REALLY want to yell. :)

anger is such an interesting emotion. i think that it is so important not to ignore anger (or any emotion, for that matter). i think the worst advice someone can give (and which people give with great frequency) to someone is..."don't be angry" or "calm down!" or "you shouldn't feel that way." our emotions are a part of us and we cannot control how we feel. we can control how we act on our emotions, but the emotions themselves come as surely as the the setting of the sun at the end of each glorious day. buddhists often use a technique to deal with anger that focuses on the emotion itself. when i become angry at something, i am quick to aknowledge that i am feeling anger and that it is a legitimate and normal emotion. i am the anger, and the anger is me. i can no more stop anger from coming than i can stop myself from being human. to be human is to experience emotion. something that works for me when i become angry is to take a walk outside and meditate while breathing, focusing on my breath, and thinking:

Breathing in, I know that anger is here.

Breathing out, I know that the anger is me.

Breathing in, I know that anger is unpleasant

Breathing out, I know this feeling will pass.

Breathing in, I am calm.

Breathing out, I am strong enough to take care of this anger.

i suppose that this may not work for everyone, but it works well for me.

to participate in working meditation can be a great happiness. when we wash the cars, or turn the compost piles or make dinner (or do homework with children), we can stay mindful of our breathing and the activity that we are doing. we speak only when necessary and about the work at hand. we can maintain a light and easy feeling as we work. sweeping and mopping we see that we are already practicing to calm our mind and body. try not be in too great of a hurry to get the job done.

Thank you bodhigrilsmiles, this was especially helpful.

one cannot control what one does not feel. if god can control his anger, then he must have experienced anger. this would, indeed, be a part of our personality.

(i just posted something about god....how odd for me :) )

Hmm, that was odd of you. Noteworthy though. ;)

Exactly, HE had experiences this emotion and is part of HIS character. Even in the Old Testament, there are many recordings of GOD's wrath...anger... and so forth. ^_^

For me, it is a trial at times to control. Threads like this bring comfort in seeking a means to controlling such.