Men and women are different because

WANDERER

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Freud have some rather jarring ideas about males who were "hostile" to their fathers?

(And yes. I mock Freud solely because I haven't read him and don't completely understand his theories. ;) )

Mock away. Every modern psychologist will be standing with you when you do it. Freud has become a joke except to those who have a preoccupation with sex and feel like they need an excuse to think about it more often.

Ummm how about this....Women can give birth to their own clones? Seriously, you jiggle an egg just right and it can start dividing. pretty cool, eh?

Since an ovum (egg) has only a haploid number of chromosomes, starting it dividing wouldn't produce a clone baby, it would just produce a mass of haploid cells.

Women scare me, Pam. They have cooties and I hear they have a secret club where they train killer bears. :(

:rofl:Those aren't cooties, thems boobies!!! :crackup: The club is not to train :shootout: killer bears, it's to train killer dust bunnies!

Mock away. Every modern psychologist will be standing with you when you do it. Freud has become a joke except to those who have a preoccupation with sex and feel like they need an excuse to think about it more often.

Then he must be a icon in the state of Utah -- at least according to all my friends who have joked to me about the on-line subscription thing!:D

Since an ovum (egg) has only a haploid number of chromosomes, starting it dividing wouldn't produce a clone baby, it would just produce a mass of haploid cells.

Nopenope. Here are the articles I really should have cited:

parthenogenesis: Definition from Answers.com

Quote: On June 26, 2007 International Stem Cell Corporation (ISC), a California based stem cell research company, announced that their lead scientist, Dr. Elena Revazova, and her research team were the first to intentionally create human stem cells from unfertilized human eggs using parthenogenesis. [24] The process may offer a way for creating stem cells that are genetically matched to a particular woman for the treatment of degenerative diseases that might affect her.

On August 2, 2007, after much independent investigation, it was revealed that discredited South Korean scientist, Hwang Woo-Suk, unknowingly produced the first human embryos resulting from parthenogenesis. Initially, Hwang claimed he and his team had extracted stem cells from cloned human embryos, a result which was later found to be fabricated. Further examination of the chromosomes of these cells show indicators of parthenogenesis in those extracted stem cells, similarly to those found in the mice created by Tokyo scientists in 2004. Although Hwang deceived the world about being the first to create artificially cloned human embryos, he did contribute a major breakthrough to stem cell research by creating human embryos using parthenogenesis. [25]'

What Dad didn't tell you about the birds and bees. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

Quote: We're not there yet, but we're on the way. Two years ago, British officials authorized human procreation using sperm, nuclear DNA from one woman, and mitochondrial DNA from a second woman'

There are more articles of course, with various credibility But the fact is, we know it's possible ;)

Edited by talisyn
spelling. one of these days I'm gonna download a dictionary to my brain.

Quote: On June 26, 2007 International Stem Cell Corporation (ISC), a California based stem cell research company, announced that their lead scientist, Dr. Elena Revazova, and her research team were the first to intentionally create human stem cells from unfertilized human eggs using parthenogenesis. [24] The process may offer a way for creating stem cells that are genetically matched to a particular woman for the treatment of degenerative diseases that might affect her.

On August 2, 2007, after much independent investigation, it was revealed that discredited South Korean scientist, Hwang Woo-Suk, unknowingly produced the first human embryos resulting from parthenogenesis. Initially, Hwang claimed he and his team had extracted stem cells from cloned human embryos, a result which was later found to be fabricated. Further examination of the chromosomes of these cells show indicators of parthenogenesis in those extracted stem cells, similarly to those found in the mice created by Tokyo scientists in 2004. Although Hwang deceived the world about being the first to create artificially cloned human embryos, he did contribute a major breakthrough to stem cell research by creating human embryos using parthenogenesis. [25]'

What Dad didn't tell you about the birds and bees. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

Quote: We're not there yet, but we're on the way. Two years ago, British officials authorized human procreation using sperm, nuclear DNA from one woman, and mitochondrial DNA from a second woman'

There are more articles of course, with various creditability. But the fact is, we know it's possible ;)

Answers.com and Slate? Such credible medical journals!

Men and women are different, in many wonderful ways.

Watching my daughter interact with her boy cousins of the same age for years has proven to me (anecdotal of course) that the two sexes see the world completely different, especially when it comes to matters of fair play and dominance. A few years ago I would step in and try to make their world even with justice for all, but then I started to leave them alone to see what they'd do on their own....

And I saw that while it seemed my daughter was overruled a lot by the boys on what games to play they would use her rules while playing their games. IDK if that has implications for the world in general, but it's made me feel better about my daughter's place in it :P

Guest missingsomething

men are the head and women are the neck (ie.. the brain, the looks, the heart).

True, we do turn the head which direction we want... hehheeh but... I think, its more... men are the backbone and women are everything else! :P

Women talk just to "bond/share"... men talk to fix a problem.

Women smell nice... men, eh not so much.

Women say... how does that make you feel... men say... how do you want me to feel.

Women smell nice... men, eh not so much.

I don't know, I think my hubby smells pretty nice, however that is the just out of the shower, fresh shave, fresh clothes, and cologne hubby and not the just in from working on whatnot outside, dirty, sweaty, smelly hubby.

Women and men are different, and thank goodness we are! I think we even each other out. For example my hubby is tall so he can reach the high up things and I have thin arms and small hands so I can reach the hard to get to things.

Ummm how about this....Women can give birth to their own clones? Seriously, you jiggle an egg just right and it can start dividing. pretty cool, eh?

There are more articles of course, with various credibility But the fact is, we know it's possible ;)

Be careful with this. From your Saletan reference,

Will we try parthenogenesis in humans? We already have. Biotech companies are rushing to industrialize it, with one claiming "a dominant patent position in the production of human embryonic stem cells by parthenogenesis." The stem-cell version of parthenogenesis can't make babies, but the mouse version might. Theoretically, it would enable two lesbians to create a child—not a clone, but a mixture of genes from each parent, just like you or me.

The possibility exists to create a child from the eggs of two women, but this isn't parthenogenesis. This is essentially, fertilizing an ovum of one woman with the genetic material of an ovum from another woman. I suppose, theoretically, you could fertilize an ovum with another woman's ovum, but scientists are already stating that this wouldn't work to create a child, but only stem cells.

There is no documented case of parthenogenesis in human history, and certainly not one that can be verified. Before you jump on me about Mary's Immaculate Conception, remember that she gave birth to a son, and parthenogenesis in humans could only possibly result in a daughter (X chromosome).

Then he must be a icon in the state of Utah -- at least according to all my friends who have joked to me about the on-line subscription thing!:D

not necessarily...notice the conjunction. Freud is only a resource for the sexually preoccupied who feel they need an excuse to think about sex more often. There are plenty of people who are perfectly capable of being obsessed with sex without any excuse at all (much like myself)

I don't know, I think my hubby smells pretty nice, however that is the just out of the shower, fresh shave, fresh clothes, and cologne hubby and not the just in from working on whatnot outside, dirty, sweaty, smelly hubby.

I LOVE man smell! my husband played college basketball for 4 years and I never once thought he had that smelly sweat smell. Call me crazy, but those darn man pheremones get my heart racing every time!

Ok, ok, so it must just be my husband because I have caught a whiff of some other men who do stink.

Men can open jars with out having to bang it on the counter a few times.

not necessarily...notice the conjunction. Freud is only a resource for the sexually preoccupied who feel they need an excuse to think about sex more often. There are plenty of people who are perfectly capable of being obsessed with sex without any excuse at all (much like myself)

In a society totally pre-occupied with sex it is ironic that so many people are in denial about Freud's observations.

I LOVE man smell! my husband played college basketball for 4 years and I never once thought he had that smelly sweat smell. Call me crazy, but those darn man pheremones get my heart racing every time!

Ok, ok, so it must just be my husband because I have caught a whiff of some other men who do stink.

Men can open jars with out having to bang it on the counter a few times.

And that's why we love them :D

Men own things like Microsoft, and Apple, and other huge multinational corporations.

Women own the "Yarn Barn" and hair salons with cutsey names like "A Cut Above."

Men can laugh about farts.

Women don't ever fart.

Men understand that they are there to lift heavy things.

Women want men to rearrange furniture.

Men have three pairs of shoes; black, brown, and running...and boots for hunting.

Women have three pairs of shoes...for each day of the week.

Men understand that they are there to fix problems.

Women just want to talk about problems until they go away.

Men know that a lighted oil light in the car is a serious matter.

Women ignore the light waiting for a buzzer to go off meaning "this is a serious matter."

But the real, honest difference between men and women is this (in as polite a bit of language as I can make it)

Women can have sex anytime they want to.

Men can have sex anytime a woman wants to.