Salt Lake Temple Going Dark for Earth Hour

LittleWyvern

So, why then is this act of environmentalism tainted (or crazy, or a scam) in your opinion, simply because the original intent was for climate change? There's a lot of ways that the environment needs help, and a lot of ways the environment will be helped by this Earth Hour event even if you don't think climate change is happening.

I am not going to participate, because of the stated intent. Since I believe that the stated intent is bogus, I will not be party it. But if you are and believe in it, that's cool for you, just not so much for me.

Edited by bytor2112

I don't think the point of this event was necessarily to make a big change, but to get people thinking.

Haven't you heard? When it comes to Global Warming, or Climate Change as they like to call it now that data shows that warming is no longer happening, to quote an old anti-LDS catch-phrase: 'the thinking has already been done'. The arrogant clowns behind this movement think that they can actually change the normal constant warming and cooling cycles of the earth. They also show by this behavior that they think the current climate is the optimum climate for the earth. How do they know this? Who or what told them that?

Haven't you heard? When it comes to Global Warming, or Climate Change as they like to call it now that data shows that warming is no longer happening, to quote an old anti-LDS catch-phrase: 'the thinking has already been done'. The arrogant clowns behind this movement think that they can actually change the normal constant warming and cooling cycles of the earth. They also show by this behavior that they think the current climate is the optimum climate for the earth. How do they know this? Who or what told them that?

You don't even have to think about climate change if you want to. I think the main idea is to get people thinking about the amount of resources they use, and whether or not they can use less. Using less resources is a good thing no matter what your opinion on climate change is.

Hidden

I am really stunned at the animosity over this issue.

Why do you think the Church is participating? Do you think it's all PR? Since when has the Church done something it doesn't believe in for PR?

I realize just because the Church participates means you have to as well. I know the Church would not want you to feel that way.

I just don't understand why it's that big of a deal. You won't turn your lights off for an hour because people who ``11believe in global warning are wrong?

Wow.

Elphaba

Honestly, even if you think global climate change is a scam, doing good things for the environment is still noble. I think too many people here who read this knee-jerked at the phrase "climate change."

i think climate change is inevitable....especially if you live in Missouri. If you don't like the weather....wait 10 minutes...it's sure to change! :lol::lol::lol:

I can explain a bit further about why I'm opposed to this. Yes, climate change happens. We see it here on earth, and also on Mars. I'm not even opposed to the notion that humans may be able to alter our climate in certain ways. What I'm opposed to is this:

make a global statement of concern about climate change and to demonstrate commitment to finding solutions.

That's the church's stated reason for darkening the temple. It has 'frisbee flipping naturalist' written all over it. Ya know who 'makes global statements of concern'? People who want to feel good by doing something, and choosing to do nothing useful. Darkening a temple is doing nothing. It's joining a crowd of the useless and irrelevant. At it's worst, it's an attempt at social engineering through propaganda. At it's best, it uses a few thousand less watts over a day.

Phooey.

LM

i think climate change is inevitable....especially if you live in Missouri. If you don't like the weather....wait 10 minutes...it's sure to change! :lol::lol::lol:

the same applies to Indiana...its a midwestern thing.

I'm pretty sure it's an everywhere thing. The first time I ever heard this, it was about Hawaii. Then Oregon, then Connecticut, then Cleveland.

Even the global warming happening on Mars?

Yup. That too.

And that other thing too. Well, maybe not that. . . oh wait, I just read another expose and yes, that is his fault too.

Everything is his fault, including my wrinkles and weight gain. I think he signed an executive order about it.

Elphaba

Yup. That too.

And that other thing too. Well, maybe not that. . . oh wait, I just read another expose and yes, that is his fault too.

Everything is his fault, including my wrinkles and weight gain. I think he signed an executive order about it.

Elphaba

He did sign a order....I told him to....:D

according to Al Gore we only have about 6 and a half years before we burn up and die.....

We were gathered at the Midwest lds.net meet up at that time: 8:30--we talked about it, noted the time, JBS went off a little, I smacked him, ram laughed, and mrs. ram asked what we were talking about.

Does that count for something?

Whooaaaa! Is anyone posting pictures? Or writing a post to tell us about it?

C’mon. Spill it!

Elphaba

See the rumor thread! JBS had the camera--but he's being reticent about sharing the pic. Get him, Ephie!

Here's a little of it. http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/18783-get-together-dinner-indianapolis-3-28-09-a-2.html#post351154