serving coffee to guests?

gaspah

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I just find it strange that you would equate coffee and tea drinking with fornication.

It's not equating. It's comparing. It's often easier to see the point in the extreme. For example, if I didn't like my children using a certain harsh word, I might ask them if they would use much more vulgar terms. "Of course not!" they would protest, but the point would be obvious: If you refuse to use vulgar words, you are better off avoiding semi-vulgar words, too.

The point about fornication is easy enough to see that almost everyone will understand it. The idea is clear: Fornication is a prohibited practice, so in my house we do not practice or tolerate fornication.

Now just generalize this: XXX is a prohibited practice, so in my house we do not practice or tolerate XXX.

Is coffee-drinking prohibited? Absolutely, if you're LDS. Is it equal in effect to fornication? Of course not. But that's not the point. The point is, it's a prohibited practice, so we don't do it in our home.

Many other religious groups agree that fornication is a sin but coffee drinking is not.

Many religions throughout history have viewed fornication and even murder as acceptable and "not a sin". Does that mean that if we found ourselves in such a culture, we should happily accept fornication and murder in our home? Maybe provide a person to rape and/or kill?

The fact that "many people" or even "most people" don't find some given practice offensive doesn't really have anything at all to do with whether YOU or I should allow it in our home.

It just seems strange that something so simple as drinking coffee or tea could be viewed as sinful.

Just as I'm sure that many non-Christians find it absurd that something as simple as using the term "God" as an expression of frustration could be viewed as sinful. Yet it is.

Guest HEthePrimate

If you want to get rid of your leftover coffee without just throwing it away, why not give it to a non-LDS friend? That way, in the future when people ask if you have coffee, you can just say you don't have any.

Though as Latter-day Saints we avoid drinking coffee, it's not exactly what I would classify as a "mortal sin." There should be no moral problem (IMO) with giving it away.

Peace, love, and chocolate Easter bunnies! :D

HEP