Flagrant Fragrant Fouls

talisyn

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't remember flagrant fouls being part of strategy in the glorious game of basketball.

NBA: more education on flagrants may be needed - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

What ever happened to just being good enough to score points? I learned basketball back in the good old days of Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, heck even Danny Ainge. Yeah some of them were whiny brats but I don't recall any taking the easy way out and stopping play by using such a cheap tactic (drawing the foul by dramatics isn't the same thing lol :P ). Was I completely oblivious to this tactic?

I think there are a number of factors in play, but one is that players have much larger bodies today than the old days and the size of the court has not changed. Also, the fact that these guys are paid humongous amounts of money to play makes some desperate to make an impression and prove their value to their team. They are less mature mentally than the old days, as a whole. Plus, some coaches encourage some dirty play.

I agree. Back in the day there was not near as much physical contact when playing basketball. I go back to the days of Bill Bradley, Gail Goodrich, Jerry West and Dr J. The good old days.

Ben Raines

In English...this means he's old.

He didn't get kicked out of the game tonight. Go LAKERS btw. :)

I'd rather root for the Raiders than the Lakers.... and i'd rather goto a turkish prison than root for the raiders, its amazing that the Fakers win ever since Vince MacMahon became an advisor for the NBA