What causes people to be extremly ant-mormon?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lalaonegin

FWIW, several of us have--and I believe Maureen does. President Mower (sp?) of Fuller Seminary offered an even broader apology for evangelical misbehavior.

As a chaplain, I find it especially offensive to see some video clips a protestors waving sacred G's or stomping on a Book of Mormon. My approach is to respect hosts and earn respect back.

Thank you for bringing this up!

A leading evangelical speaks at the Mormon Tabernacle and says evangelicals have spread lies about LDS beliefs. - Beliefnet.com

Prison Chaplain, I want you to know that at no time have I ever considered you, or frankly any gentile on this thread to be in league with the miserable Philistines who slither around Temple Square during Conference.

I am curious though, just as Mouw was castigated by his flock for his apology to the Church, what is the reaction from your co-religionists to your involvement here? What reason(s) do you give them for your association with an LDS site?

BTW, when I see you and the other Gentile's on this thread condem the antics of the "Christian" haters at Conference time, it'll go along way to show your true concern.

You really should take some time to look around at some other older threads and posts. We have non-members, Christians, atheists, agnostics, and others on this site who have been very respectful and wonderful.

For you to say that they don't have true concern is unjustified and frankly, rude. You don't know them. You aren't with them all the time. You have no idea if they take the time to "defend" our faith or not.

I find great wisdom and faith interacting with other people of different faiths. I've gained new perspectives and insight from some of the atheists here. And prisonchaplin was the reason why I joined this site. His compassion and strong faith in Christ impressed me greatly.

And how do you know if these people are "gentiles?" Doesn't gentile refer to their membership in the house of Israel? Have you the authority to know their lineage?

Guest lalaonegin

And how do you know if these people are "gentiles?" Doesn't gentile refer to their membership in the house of Israel? Have you the authority to know their lineage?

The use of the term "Gentile" is not designed to get your knickers in a twist, the use of the term to identify non-members is as old as the Restoration.

I appreciate your comments, without appreciating the judgemental rude tone of them.

The use of the term "Gentile" is not designed to get your knickers in a twist, the use of the term to identify non-members is as old as the Restoration.

I appreciate your comments, without appreciating the judgemental rude tone of them.

Yeah, but why would anyone still use it. I don't like PC's use of the word "cult" so why would I like the word "gentile." It is offensive. Jewish people avoid it as well. If I wanted to become jewish, I wouldn't have to convert. All I have to do is show up at synagogue. Occasionally. Once in a while. Maybe never, I know the Salt Lake Chabad Shluchim (I asked if I could drive one of the Chabbad Tanks if they ever come to town . . . they'll get back with me). Does that count? I suppose that would mean I could use the word if I wanted to. I could call you one. I won't. You shouldn't call people names either. Edited by the Ogre

Guest lalaonegin

Yeah, but why would anyone still use it. I don't like PC's use of the word "cult" so why would I like the word "gentile." It is offensive. Jewish people avoid it as well. If I wanted to become jewish, I wouldn't have to convert. All I have to do is show up at synagogue. Occasionally. Once in a while. Maybe never, I know the Salt Lake Chabad Shluchim (I asked if I could drive one of the Chabbad Tanks if they ever come to town . . . they'll get back with me). Does that count? I suppose that would mean I could use the word if I wanted to. I could call you one. I won't. You shouldn't call people names either.

I'm not here to win the Ogre approval contest. In reading your posts, you're not only a pseudo-intellectual bore, but clearly a self absorbed misogynist fool.

Your post are abusive and as dull as I suspect you are.

A came here about three years ago, ironically, over a bout of anti-LDS persecution in my hometown. The schoolboard had a vacancy, and one of the candidates chose to highlight her oponent's LDS membership. She slyly mentioned that two of the boardmembers were already of that faith, and, for the sake of diversity, perhaps someone else would be a better fit.

I wrote a rather scathing letter to the editor saying that I would rather have a person of faith, who might better understand my children's needs, than someone who thought it appropriate to treat anyone's religion as a negative in a local political campaign. BTW, the LDS guy won.

That whole incident got me curious, so I did an internet search for "Mormon chat," and found LDSTalk.com, just to check it out and see what I might learn. In the past three years, I've learned much, shared some, made some good internet friends, and even joined an LDSnet gathering, in Utah. In the process, the site administrator asked me to join the moderator team. I prayed for about a week, and felt led to accept. So, I came to learn and share, and now stay for the big bucks I earn. :P

For those who take their faith seriously, isn't this place a treasure? People here are like-minded in that we take God seriously. Even the atheists and agnostics here appreciate the depth of faith here, and the level of intelligent discourse. Sometimes we fail, but how often can we talk like this in our work places, or social gatherings. It's a blessing, and me thinks Heavenly Father smiles upon our efforts here.

Hey look prisonchaplain were trying too!!!! :) Alex Boyé is cool!

This is pretty far from traditional MTC as you know. YouTube - I Want Jesus To Walk With Me (with Alex Boyé)

It is not Bull! The question was asked: "What causes people to be extremely anti-mormon?" An answer was given that some non-Mormons have been treated unkindly by Mormons for no other reason than the fact that they were non-Mormon. This is a legitimate reason why some people may become anti-Mormon. Because of the bad manners of others. A person or group does not have to create websites or produce books to create these feelings. Person to person behaviour does this on its own. You can't actually say that all Mormons are kind and respectful, just like all non-Mormons are not all kind and respectful. That kind of self-righteousness might be another reason why there are anti's in all camps. And the fact that it's been addressed by LDS leaders shows that it exists.

Occasionally I hear of members offending those of other faiths by overlooking them and leaving them out. This can occur especially in communities where our members are the majority. I have heard about narrow-minded parents who tell children that they cannot play with a particular child in the neighborhood simply because his or her family does not belong to our Church. This kind of behavior is not in keeping with the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. I cannot comprehend why any member of our Church would allow these kinds of things to happen.....

...The Lord expects a great deal from us. Parents, please teach your children and practice yourselves the principle of inclusion of others and not exclusion because of religious, political, or cultural differences. (M. Russell Ballard, “Doctrine of Inclusion,” Liahona, Jan 2002, 40–43)

M.

People are unhappy that some people have treated them or their kids unkindly so they become anti-Mormons?

How about this - some people are just low-lifes and look for an excuse, no matter how lame, to justify their low-life behavior.

I'm not here to win the Ogre approval contest. In reading your posts, you're not only a pseudo-intellectual bore, but clearly a self absorbed misogynist fool.

Hilarious!!! You are funny. I think Maureen was right about you. Get to know the people you are calling names. The misogynist one is great. You don't even know me. Lovely. Hilarious. Wonderful. And most of all thank you.

People are unhappy that some people have treated them or their kids unkindly so they become anti-Mormons?

How about this - some people are just low-lifes and look for an excuse, no matter how lame, to justify their low-life behavior.

You can see it however you like. It's still a valid reason. A lot of people don't like Christianity in general because it's judgmental and self-righteous. If it comes across that way, why not be anti about it? If people don't like the negativity, do something about it to improve other people's perception.

M.

lalaonegin, did you bother to read the site rules or is that beneath you? Here's one:

3. Personal attacks, name calling, flaming, and judgments against other members will not be tolerated.

M.

If people don't like the negativity, do something about it to improve other people's perception.

I prefer to ask: why do you care? I'm not bothering you. If I am . . . look someplace else.

I understand the value of criticism. I think it only improves the final product, but I question the extremism and the vitriol. I might not be one to speak. I trade in vitriol, but that doesn't mean the nicer people around do.

Whatever. I understand some of it. One of my earlier posts on this thread illustrated who I thought was an anti-mormon and who wasn't.

I do think Snow's earlier question needs to be answered by someone: where are the LDS sponsored Anti-Evangelical Ministries, websites, and publishing houses?

CES and the MTC don't count in my opinion. They are too general in their approach and do not point out the fallacies (if there are any) in other religions.

I'm closing this thread. Feel free to start a new one on the same subject, but we all need to remember to treat other members of the site with respect or it will suffer the same fate. Infraction for breaking site rules will be given out as deemed necessary.

Hidden

I am curious though, just as Mouw was castigated by his flock for his apology to the Church, what is the reaction from your co-religionists to your involvement here? What reason(s) do you give them for your association with an LDS site?

President Mouw's comments were controversial, but that article was far more nuanced than to say Evangelicals castigated him. Rather, some evangelicals have made heartfelt attempts at meaningful dialogue, and seem to have felt that they were lumped in with the worst conference protesters. It's a glass half full half empty thing. The reality that Mouw kept his position as President of one of evangelicalism's most prestigious graduate theological schools speaks volumes--perhaps more than the heat he took?

As for response to my posting here, I neither trumpet it nor hide it. My pastor seemed rather nuetral, though he was certainly okay with my linking the sermon I did to here.