Whats up with thing on polygamy?

Do Mormons really believe in it?

Believe that it exists and that there are those that practice it, believe that it is acceptable, or believe that it is necessary?

I also heard Mormons believe God has many wives?

I think it would be interesting for anyone to quote a definitive statement on the exact nature of God's family, post-mortal marital relations, how eternal families (as created through sealing ordinances in the Temple) function in the eternities, etc.

Some things are interesting to think about and ponder but irrelevant to one's current spiritual state, while others are critical to one's spiritual well-being. Be sure you don't let the interesting topics of debate muddy your prospects for progressing spiritually.

You never know - as you grow spiritually, many of these interesting and debatable topics may start to make sense to you. Line upon line, precept upon precept... drink the milk first, then you'll be ready for meat... etc.

Take care.

At this point in time, if one's primary interest in life is polygamy, the quickest route would probably be a combination of immigration to a country that permits it and conversion to Islam (note that both are necessary, since U.S. Muslims cannot be polygamous). :-)

FYI: While most Christian groups disapprove of polygamy, the Church this site is dedicated to is one of the few that specifically calls for excommunication of any member who engages in it.

Why was it practiced in the 1800's?

There are probably as many reasons as there were people who practiced it, but the Gospel answer is that God commanded for a time it to "raise up rightous seed unto Himself" - which is a whole discussion in itself.

I look at polygamy the same way a Jew would look at animal sacrifice. It was practiced at one time and there was a spiritual purpose for it at the time, and there are some very small groups who still practice it, but it really has very little bearing on today's mainstream members.

I believe that it is up to God to decide if polygamy is okay or not. At present, He has said it is not to be practiced. In ancient times, Abraham and many other men of God practiced it. I don't find it that hard to imagine God commanding Joseph Smith to practice it and to tell other trustworthy people they had been called to practice it.

As far as I know, only men who were known by God to be the best husbands and fathers were chosen to practice polygamy in this dispensation. I forget what the statistic is, but I think it was something like 10% of the Church population was called on to practice polygamy. Granted, there were some scoundrels like John C. Bennett that perverted this doctrine to suit their own ends, but they were normally excommunicated for it.

I know Heavenly Father well enough to know that He normally has several reasons for everything He does, and frequently, even if we know some of them, we don't know them all. In the case of polygamy, I've often heard it speculated that Heavenly Father commanded us to practice it in order to rapidly swell the Church's numbers, given that at the time the Church was in danger from intense persecution and there is strength in numbers. I've also heard it said that it was to allow women who would otherwise be unable to find a suitable husband the opportunity to obey one of the laws and ordinances of the Gospel, though I've also heard that the population in the Church during some of the time in which polygamy was practiced was pretty even, if not actually larger in the number of men. This may sound mean, but I think one of the reasons Father commanded the practice of polygamy was to weed out weak members of the Church, especially among the General Authorities. Some members who apostatized during those days claimed that it was the doctrine of plural marriage that set them off. On the other hand, stalwarts like Brigham Young obeyed the commandment to practice it, despite having intense desires not to do so. Even now, the residual stigma the Church experiences serves to weed out investigators who aren't able to obtain a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Really, this is one of those cases where we can only speculate as to Why God commanded the Church to practice it. I find that a lot of my own personal revelations are rooted in speculation, though. In the end, I would cheerfully defer to any General Authority on this matter. I have ideas why it was practiced, and I leave it at that.

I have heard that it will be practiced again in the Millennium. Societal conventions will no longer be the hindrance to this legitimate Gospel doctrine that they currently are, and at any time God wills that we practice plural marriage in the Millennium, we will then be free to do so without persecution.

As to whether God has one wife or many, no one knows. There is room for speculation because it is not impossible. Societal conventions may paint a picture of this being impossible, but God transcends societal conventions. It is possible that God has plural wives, but it is simply unknown.

I believe the important thing is to have a strong enough testimony that it is not challenged by the fact that many Prophets in multiple dispensations had plural wives, and that they instructed chosen men of God to do likewise. If our testimonies are strong enough, this will not be a "deal breaker" when it comes to accepting the Gospel of Jesus Christ and obeying the laws and ordinances of the Gospel as revealed therein.

I believe that it is up to God to decide if polygamy is okay or not. At present, He has said it is not to be practiced. In ancient times, Abraham and many other men of God practiced it. I don't find it that hard to imagine God commanding Joseph Smith to practice it and to tell other trustworthy people they had been called to practice it.

I find your comment refreshing. I have seen a number of members in online discussions say that polygamy was a rogue practice and not really commanded by God. I am no longer a member, so I can’t say one way or the other, but I think these speculations dismiss the enormous sacrifices and faith of its earliest members, and pioneers, who practiced the principle in spite of great difficulties.

IMO, their stories would be inspiring to today’s members if they were to read the historical records left by these early members. Unfortunately, and I understand this, the Church today distances itself from its polygamous past because it taints its image to those who don't understand it. I'm not saying it's hard to discover this history, because it's not, just that the Church itself doesn't focus on it that much, or at least, not in detail in official Church venues.

As far as I know, only men who were known by God to be the best husbands and fathers were chosen to practice polygamy in this dispensation.

While many men took their responsibilities to their wives very seriously, and did everything within their power to take care of their entire family, some other men ended up abandoning their families. This was the case with Annie Clark Tanner’s husband.

I’m sure the reasons are are many and complex, but it is a myth that only the best fathers, or men, were always the ones chosen, and I think this is an important historical fact.

In the case of polygamy, I've often heard it speculated that Heavenly Father commanded us to practice it in order to rapidly swell the Church's numbers, given that at the time the Church was in danger from intense persecution and there is strength in numbers.

The intense persecution did not diminish the membership enough to have made a difference to its numbers, and polygamy does not result in any more children than does monogamy. Women living in polygamy do not have any more children than they do in monogamous relationships.

I've also heard it said that it was to allow women who would otherwise be unable to find a suitable husband

Based on my own research, I don't think this happened as often as many believe. However, it is true many women, even those who were already civilly married, were sealed to other worthy men who had passed on, thus ensuring a suitable partner through eternity.

An obvious example is numerous women, most of them already married, were sealed to Joseph after he was murdered.

though I've also heard that the population in the Church during some of the time in which polygamy was practiced was pretty even, if not actually larger in the number of men.

This is true.

This may sound mean, but I think one of the reasons Father commanded the practice of polygamy was to weed out weak members of the Church, especially among the General Authorities.

I don't think you need to be a member to see that this did, indeed, happen. It took a lot of faith and self-sacrifice to live the principle, and not everyone could do it. It did, as you said, weed out those members whose commitment was not firm enough in the faith to accept it.

Some members who apostatized during those days claimed that it was the doctrine of plural marriage that set them off.

This is true; however, I think many of these people are too easily dismissed. The early Church is replete with examples of fierce commitments to the survival of the Church, especially by those who were mercilessly persecuted.

The fact is, many of these same people are those who could not accept that polygamy had been commanded by God because, at the time, American Christianity as a whole considered it evil. So while these people rejected the Church when told of the principle of polygamy, I think it is understandable that they could not accept it.

My point is, all too often these people are vilified by faith-promoting rumors that their apostasy occurred because they were weak people, when, in fact, their contributions to the early church, based on extraordinary faith, were profound, and without these people the Church might not have survived. Their eventual belief that Joseph was a fallen prophet was traumatic to them, and many agonized over the loss of their Church. I don’t believe these people’s contributions should be dismissed so easily.

Joseph’s wife, Emma, is a perfect example of this. Without her extraordinary faith, actions and courage, there is no doubt Joseph would not have accomplished all he did. Yet all many members know is that she apostatized, and thus her profound contributions are dismissed.

Really, this is one of those cases where we can only speculate as to Why God commanded the Church to practice it.

The historical evidence indicates the pioneers practiced it because they believed God had commanded it, period.

I’ve read numerous journals form the pioneer period, and came to be able to determine who had difficulty living the principle, and those who were satisfied with it, by the way they wrote of particular incidents. For example, some women wrote resentfully about family get-togethers, while others wrote of their joy at these kinds of get-togethers, including how grateful they were to their sister wives.

What I never found in the journals were any questions as to why they must live the principle. All I ever read was their belief that they lived it, despite any difficulties, because God had commanded it.

Personally, I believe the primary reason justifications for polygamy, such as it boosted the numbers of its members, came along after the practice was ended. Polygamy began to be sort of an albatross around the Church's neck; thus, the need for practical reasons for its practice. However, the historical record rejects most of the commonly known reasons.

I'm glad you started this thread, as the Church's history fascinates me, including its practice of polygamy.

Elphaba

I find your comment refreshing. I have seen a number of members in online discussions say that polygamy was a rogue practice and not really commanded by God.

I ran into that on my mission with some missionaries, they'd give me looks when I'd point out polygamy is a true principle it just isn't currently practiced, got to the point the Mission President made pretty much the same comment.

In our Gospel Principle class when asked, I've pointed out that in the scriptures there have been times when God has allowed Polygamy and times when he has forbidden it. So it was with the church in the Latter-days. Either for his own reasons or because it put the church in conflict with the twelfth article of faith when the United States officially banned polygamy, he rescinded the polygamy practice.

My personal thinking on it is that the practice was done in the early days as one of Gods ways to care for the Saints. At least at the time of its beginning there were many widows and orphans. At a time without welfare, social security, etc. When in some cases women were not even allowed to own land or business's depending on the time and the state. Polygamy made sense as a way for the church to look after those in need. My understanding is each family was established in their own home, that it was not a harem type arrangement.

To me it makes sense that God would arrange for this. I will add I am glad I am not living in such a time. It must have been very hard on relationships and individuals to practice this.