Sunday activities

havejoy

What about music on the sabbath? What is O.K.? Classical? Country? Jazz? Christian rock? Ordinary pop/rock but with wholesome lyrics? Does it matter? Is it any more wrong to listen to music than to watch sporting events on T.V.? I guess the reason I bring this up is when I was at BYU-I, I came across situations more than once where I would be get into it with some holier-than-thou roommate for listening to music (nothing heavy, just regular radio pop/rock) after church, yet I would see these same people watching football no problem. I would usually keep it within my room when I'd be practicing my guitar and not bothering my roommates, yet there were things still said. I never quite understood this and even thought it was very hypocritical. What's everybody's thinking on this?

Edited by Carl62

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it depends on content and how it affects you spiritually. Developing any musical talent you possess is probably legit on Sunday. (IMO, more so than watching a bunch of guys maiming each other on a football field and all the beer commercials, but I'm no football fan.)

My position is that you (general "you" here, not just Carl in specific) should check out what the General Authorities have said on the subject, pray for specific personal guidance, and keep tabs on how which activities affect your ability to maintain a spirit of worship on Sunday.

What about music on the sabbath? What is O.K.? Classical? Country? Jazz? Christian rock? Ordinary pop/rock but with wholesome lyrics? Does it matter? Is it any more wrong to listen to music than to watch sporting events on T.V.? I guess the reason I bring this up is when I was at BYU-I, I came across situations more than once where I would be get into it with some holier-than-thou roommate for listening to music (nothing heavy, just regular radio pop/rock) after church, yet I would see these same people watching football no problem. I would usually keep it within my room when I'd be practicing my guitar and not bothering my roommates, yet there were things still said. I never quite understood this and even thought it was very hypocritical. What's everybody's thinking on this?

I listen to music 24/7, so music on Sunday is a go for me! haha :D

I try and keep it to music with a positive message though, which for me can be anything from MoTab to Bob Marley.

Several years ago while serving in the Bishopric, our Bishop called me on Fast Sunday at home in the afternoon and ask me to get some old work clothes on and be ready in 15 minutes to help a Brethren. He and the other counselor picked me up and we all went over to an inactive Brethrens house for the purpose of roofing his house. It seems like the Bishop had visited this member and ask him to return to church but was given the excuse that it would be impossible for him to until he got his new home closed in before winter (He was building his family a home by himself, while they lived in a small trailer). So the Biship prayed about it and decided to install the roof on the house with our help. In return, the brethren promised the Bishop he would start coming to church. We got the roof shingled by evening and the next week, the inactive brethren started attending church on a regular basis. Eventually, this same Brethren was installed in the Bishopric and is presently serving as a Sealer in the Temple. Some may take issue with doing such an activity as this on the Sabbath. I know I was somewhat surprised to be asked to particpate, but I learned from this that when one is in the service of his fellow man, he is also in the service of God. The Bishop had this mans interest at heart and was able by inspiration to find a way to reactive a lost sheep.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alana

Two things that were specifically noted by prophets as not appropriate for the sabbath are picnics and joy riding. The primary manual often times lists walks as a good sabbath activity. In my mind I had put these all in the same category. If nothing else, it proved to be thought provoking.

I think that making lists of absolutes in what is acceptable or not on the sabbath smacks of self-righteousness. I also think that what may be acceptable for one person to do on the sabbath may not be acceptable for another person, and both would be equally righteous.

I listened respectfully to a story taken from the Aaronic Priesthood Manual today and had to bite my tongue because it inferred that if a farmer who only has water available on Sundays defers that water all year, he will have a better crop than if he were to actually water his fields. I think that's a load of garbage. There are somethings in life that can't be stopped or left unattended just because of what day it is. Homer Simpson has to be there to push the 'core overload reset' button at the power plant, jailers still have to watch over their wards, firefighters still have to be on duty, and farmers still have to water their crops.

I had Homer Simpson's job for 25 years (I was a nuclear reactor operator) so I worked a lot of Sundays. Now that I'm retired I want to 'do it right' so to speak. I have tons of energy and my brain and body just don't seem to settle down until after I've semi-exhausted myself somehow. This is why I took up bike riding. I ride first thing every morning, except Sunday, and then I can start my day kind of settled down. I don't start Church until 1:00pm this year so this past Sunday I rode my bike for only an hour. It worked for me. I was able to accomplish more in my calling and I was able to think better.

Even if that is coming from the leaders of the Church? Guys we can assume to be spiritually in tune and receiving inspiration?

If they are making absolutist comments, then yes. There are always going to be acceptable exceptions to the rule, and that's okay. As someone else pointed out, the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.

Guest TheLutheran

. . . I listened respectfully to a story taken from the Aaronic Priesthood Manual today and had to bite my tongue because it inferred that if a farmer who only has water available on Sundays defers that water all year, he will have a better crop than if he were to actually water his fields. I think that's a load of garbage. . . .

We raise alfalfa, sweet corn, field corn, sweet peas, and buckwheat. We make every effort to arrange the work around Sundays. Sometimes things beyond our control happen like rain on the hay which might bump the baling schedule to a Sunday. Nature is hard to control. Ever try telling a woman in labor to wait til the Sabboth passes? :sunny:

I'm quite sure there are JUSTIFIED exceptions for natural processes that can't be put on hold (livestock care, crops, childbirth, etc.), but when you (generic you, not a specific individual) start claiming you're the exception to ALL guidance and simply dismiss it with rationalizations about how special you are that it's OK to shop or immerse yourself in worldly recreation on the Lord's day, don't you think there's maybe a pride or rebellion problem there?

I really wonder how many "faithful" members, even here, actually believe the Lord chooses and inspires the leaders of the Church?

I like to think of the Sabbath as made for Man rather than Man for the Sabbath. Hope this idea in not too heretical.

Perhaps the Sabbath was made for man so that he can and will rest from his labors just as God by example rested from his on the 7th day.

The Sabbath comes from the Hebrew word Shabbath meaning day of rest. It is considered a holy day, a day of worship, one in which men turn their souls to the Lord, renew their covenants with him, and feed their souls up the things of the spirit.

This principle is one of our great tests and divides the righteous from the worldy.

We are counseled to Do Good on the Sabbath. We are counseled to do the Lords work on the Sabbath and do it exclusively. Therefore there should be no unnecessary work of a temporal nature, no recreation, no unnecessary travel, no joy riding, and the like. The operative word is unnecessary.

We are also told we will be blessed for keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. It then follows, that if we do not keep the Sabbath Day Holy we will not be blessed.

Guest missingsomething

To steal from someone else on another thread...

To judge a Sunday activity-

"does it edify and bring you closer to christ?" If not... then it probably isnt an activity that is best for Sunday.

Something I was taught as a YW... if in doubt, dont do it.

To steal from someone else on another thread...

To judge a Sunday activity-

"does it edify and bring you closer to christ?" If not... then it probably isnt an activity that is best for Sunday.

Something I was taught as a YW... if in doubt, dont do it.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Guest Alana

About having crops when water is only available on Sunday, of course if you don't water them they'll die. But if that's the case, maybe it's time for a new profession...

Because the Sabbath is a holy day, it should be reserved for worthy and holy activities. Abstaining from work and recreation is not enough. In fact, those who merely lounge about doing nothing on the Sabbath fail to keep the day holy. In a revelation given to Joseph Smith in 1831, the Lord commanded: "That thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day; for verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High" (D&C 59:9–10). In harmony with this revelation, Church members attend sacrament meeting each week. Other Sabbath-day activities may include praying, meditating, studying the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets, writing letters to family members and friends, reading wholesome material, visiting the sick and distressed, and attending other Church meetings. (under th additional information tab under sabbath day)

I simply got this from the official site, lds.org. I think we all know that we aren't to be commanded in all things and this is one that can easily have loopholes. Its indeed left up to us to decide what we should and shouldn't do. What's worthy and wholesome is definitely opinion, but at the same time we know brethren have come out and spoken concerning some things that have been mentioned in this forum. We all have weaknesses and i wouldn't consider it a sin of commission but perhaps of omission as we could be doing "better" things as we have learned about good, better, and best. ;] Just like a mission has strict rules to keep us focused, the Sabbath is given for the same reason to allow us to focus on the savior in our lives and during the week. If we slip up or do other things on that day, we are not going to be damned (i believe) we just may perhaps forfeit some small blessings or feelings of peace we may have otherwise gained. Again, its all individual and family based :]

Guest Alana

So now you have no use for farmers? Who's going to grow your food then?

Luckily the real world is continuing on, and water doesn't only flow on Sunday:)