I'm new and investigating the LDS Church. Maybe.

mhansen

Hello everyone!

I'm Michael. I'm 19 years old, and was raised Catholic. After a year of college, I feel like I'm at a crossroads religiously. I can either strengthen my Catholicism, find the "true" church if I'm not in it already, or simply abandon God altogether and go to the world. The last option is certainly appealing--at least in the short term.

I first heard about the LDS Church in high school, when one of my friends took to calling me "Mike the Mormon" on account of my clean-cut appearance and prudishness. It was because of that friendly teasing that I first read the story of Joseph Smith, and I have to say that to an outsider, the whole thing is, quite frankly, absurd.

But then again, so is the story of a some guy who claims to be God's son coming back from the dead.

So I read quite a bit more, and came to see in Mormondom what has been lacking in Catholicism since Vatican II: a distinct, close-knit culture. I came to see Mormons as a group of hard-working, loving and virtuous people. If I could re-live my childhood, I think that I'd want to do in a Mormon family! Of course, just because Mormons have a positive culture, doesn't make their doctrines correct.

So, I guess that's why I'm on this site: to learn. Hopefully it will be a productive time. I look forward to getting to know all of you, and your church, better!

-Michael

Welcome to the site. I hope you will find the answers you are looking for. I am a convert to the church. I joined when i was 15 and i'm the only member in my family. You will find many, many members with the same story as mine. I learned of the church and prayed. Then I learned for myself that this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope your journey will bring you the answers you seek.

Welcome, Michael. Take your time. By reading here and possibly visiting your local ward you can get some good insights. I am a convert from the Episcopal faith and have never looked back once after my baptism. Don't be intimidated by all the white shirts and ties you'll see, you can wear a striped one with a polka dot tie and no one will care. Honest. ^_^

Freckle

Welcome Mike. I too feel ... or felt like if I could do my childhood and youth again and choose my environement it would have been LDS.

You know what the traain has not left yet for you. OK even though you may not be able to live your life as a child in LDS church you may give the chanse to your kids. You have a perfect possibility to rise your kids... have a great LDS family, greater than most of us, if you just want to.

Abandoning God must sound apealing .. for a short term anyway, but what then? You know the Satan is tempting us as well as he can to abandon God and moore he tries more important we may be to LDS. IF LDS would not be but a religion, it would not interest Satan so much to get the people away from it, but as LDS is on Gods side he wont let us go. Life as an LDS may be hard abandoning would be so easy.... but is abandoning for a while really worth it in all eternity? I doubt it!

God bless you young man (My son is 19 and leaving for a mision in a few weeks. He is not the burning type, just a calm... maybe a bit slow good young man)

Welcome.

I guess I was wondering what it was that made you want to investigate the church. Was it some doctrine that intrigued you or some internal spiritual question that is driving you to find answers?

Well, I'm looking into many churches at the moment. This spiritual searching was brought on, I suppose, by the spiritual and mental shock that came with college. The reason that I am particularly interested in the LDS Church is because of its wholesome reputation, although as I said in my first post, that doesn't make it true. That's why I'm trying to learn more about the unique LDS doctrines, and seeing if they are true.

Michael,

Welcome to this site. You will find a lot of great people here. I too am an adult convert to the church. I've been a member for 2 1/2 years. My husband was catholic, I was raised protestant and later became a Jehovah's Wittness for 6 years. I was so thankful to find this church and to be able to raise my (3) young children with this wonderful gospel. I do hope that in your search you will find the whatever it is your heart is seeking. Ask lots of questions, they are always very open and honest here. Best of luck.

Kim

Welcome Michael. About your crosswords, I urge you not to abandon God and go with the World. While I myself am LDS, I still think it's much better to at least practice your faith in Jesus than to just abandon him. And of course, take your time. And pray. Ask and you shall receive. Good luck in your search for God.

Guest LDSauctionDOTorg

Hello Mike, Mike here. Your post struck me because although I was adopted to an LDS family at age 5. I was very much at a spiritual cross road at the age of 19. I really didn't know if I believed in God. But there was an unstopable and consistant spiritual force pushing me towards Him. Although I was living a life quite contrary to what I had been taught. It wasn't long that all these forces coverged one night in talking to a friend. In talking to him I some how got to explaining to him that it was easier to do things right. As I explained that to him at the same time for the first time in my 19 years of life it clicked in my mind that it was easier to do things right. At the same time that it was easier to do things Gods way. I was transformed from that moment on. Once it really clicks in your mind it is almost impossible to live any other way. Now I can't imagine living any other way. I want everything and anything that has to do with Gods eternal plan. The change in my thought process gave me this intence desire to teach others what I had just newly learned. I called my parents crying and asked them to come pick me up and that I was ready to go on a mission. I moved back home and got my life on track and I served a mission. I want to tell you even though I was raised in the church, I am a convert. When I moved home I quit my job and I read morning to night for two weeks straight. I read the book of Mormon and like 7 other books cover to cover. I prayed and begged for forgiveness during that time for my sins. I for the first and only time in my life heard an audible voice in my mind. I distinctly knew it was the voice of God and not my own. As it was so sweet and gental and clear saying to me "Wax strong and be of great faith." and I said is there anything else and He said "No that is all my son." I didn't even know what wax strong meant at the time. But because He called me son I knew I was forgiven of my sins. I know God lives, I know He Is the spiritual force that is pushing you just as He pushed me.

-Mike

hi mike i was brought up in the church of england ,but to be honest i didn't really know anything ,then the church came into my life and as blessed me more than i can say .

as others have said give your self time to think and pray the lord will direct you ,you are a child of our Heavenly Father and he loves you ,i have depression and illnesses that sometimes are so hard to live with , and the world calls to me often but i know that isn't the answer and so i try to remain strong by reading my scriptures and praying ,i know its hard to change your life and it seems hard to give up things that are in the world a lot of us have done that ,but i haven't found ever in all my 30 years as a member one person who as said its not worth it, and i have met a lot of members , stick to our Heavenly Father he will help you know the truth ,and your life will be blessed.

what you have researched about the history and doctrines of the Catholic faith in which you were raised?

Are there doctrines that trouble you?

Well, the Marian dogmas bother me, because I feel that they put too much emphasis on Mary's role in Salvation History. Historical things that bother me include the corruption of the Church, crusades, etc.

Something that I would sorely miss if I became LDS would be the Catholic belief in the Real Presence: the idea that the elements of bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ. While that may sound appalling to the LDS, to me and many other Catholics it is a beautiful and powerful way to experience God's love physically.

Well, the Marian dogmas bother me, because I feel that they put too much emphasis on Mary's role in Salvation History. Historical things that bother me include the corruption of the Church, crusades, etc.

Something that I would sorely miss if I became LDS would be the Catholic belief in the Real Presence: the idea that the elements of bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ. While that may sound appalling to the LDS, to me and many other Catholics it is a beautiful and powerful way to experience God's love physically.

Well, the Marian doctrines, and the Eucharistic doctrines are well explained from a theological perspective, as well as Biblically. If you're still searching I would be happy to provide you with Biblical foundations for the Marian doctrines.

It sorta sounds like you believe in the Real Presence, is that correct? Because if you do, think about it...would you walk away from a Church that has the authority to consecrate that bread and wine for something else? I mean, that power comes only and directly from Almighty God, which I would think would put every other issue to rest.

Lastly, to the Crusades and various corruptions. Those are not "the Church's" fault, they are a result of the free will of individuals within the Church. Infallibility does not mean the pope cannot sin, and sin grievously!

I think the LDS church has many, many things right. The holiness of the marriage sacrament, their openess to life within their marriages, and that there must be an authority to interpret Scriptures. But, please make sure that you know what you are leaving, as well as what you are going to.

God's Will be done!

I can not fully appreciate how you feel on those issues since I was not raised in that particular faith. I was an adult when I started to research theological issues in general so I did not have an allegiance to or identified with any particular doctrine or religion.

What you were taught as a child that later becomes part of your belief system and traditions MUST give way to truth, spiritual insight from the scriptures and revelation from the Spirit. That is the solid ground on which the worship of God is sets. It is not history or tradition. The scriptures make that fact abundantly clear time and again.

Since yours is a spiritual quest, I do not want to turn this exchange into the historical facts that may negate or affirm the legitimacy of your family's faith. I think you are aware of some of those and are fully capable of researching and study them on your own. I just will exhort you to read what the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints has brought forth in the form of revelation as a second witness of the Savior. Read, ponder and seek the Holy Spirit to reveal to you the truth and you can not err.

We will be happy to answer any questions you may have but the forum is rich in information on every subject you can imagine. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi Michael,

Your story is so very similar to mine! I have posted my story here on this Introduction forum. I was raised Catholic and the same for me i was at a crossroads. I eventually joined the church, it was a great feeling and very rewarding. Sure, do your investigating and find out as much as you can. Dont get discouraged as there is opposition in all things but i really do hope you find what your looking for. The church does offer a wonderful sense of community and purpose :) Once you gain a testimony of the BOM then all falls into place....it did for me :)

TBV x