Some other strange ideas

Jamie123

Having asked about the "large bodies of water" thing, I've been racking my brains for other strange ideas I've heard about Mormonism. Three spring to mind:

• Heavenly Father (on Kolob) communicates with His spirit-children on Earth via streams of "tachyons" (hypothetical faster-than-light particles which lose energy as they accelerate). This supposedly explains how prayers can be answered instantaneously, despite the many light-years between Kolob and Earth.

• Heavenly Father has a physical body similar to ours, but has powder in his veins in place of blood.

• Joseph Smith claimed that the moon is inhabited by a race of tall humans who dress similarly to the early Quakers. During the 1960s and early 70's, Apollo astronauts were contacted by Church members and asked to look for signs of these people.

Any thoughts on where these ideas may have come from? (Please forgive my idle curiosity.)

Those are funny but here's some that takes the cake:

The flood in the days of Noah was a literal historical event as described in the Bible with the water covering the tops of the mountains and 2 of every animal (or 7, depending on which Bible story you believe) preserved on an ark.

or

The first humans were Adam and Eve who lived a mere 6+ thousands years ago.

or

God ordered his followers to murder their enemies, steal their cattle, take their women and booty and kidnap their children as slaves.

Hidden

A little copy and paste info:

2. Since the time when Brigham Young taught that both the moon and the sun were inhabited by people, has the Mormon church ever found scientific evidence of that to be true? (Journal of Discourses (1870), 13:271)

In Brigham (and Joseph's) day, there had been newspaper articles reporting that a famous astronomer had reported that there were men on the moon and elsewhere. This was published in LDS areas; the retraction of this famous hoax never was publicized, and so they may not have even heard about it.

Brigham and others were most likely repeating what had been told them by the science of the day. (Lots of Biblical prophets talked about the earth being flat, the sky being a dome, etc.—it is inconsistent for conservative Protestants to complain that a false belief about the physical world shared by others in their culture condemns Brigham and Joseph, but does not condemn Bible prophets.)

In any case, Brigham made it clear that he was expressing his opinion: "Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is." Prophets are entitled to their opinions; in fact, the point of Brigham's discourse is that the only fanatic is one who insists upon clinging to a false idea.

Learn more here: Brigham Young and moonmen

Learn more here: Joseph Smith and moonmen

Snow, is there a thread here where you've worked out your idea of a) whether Adam and Eve existed at all, b) their role, if indeed they existed, and c) if they didn't exist, then the theological import of their story as related in scripture? I'd be interested to read it.

Thanks--

Hidden

A little copy and paste about moonmen etc.

2. Since the time when Brigham Young taught that both the moon and the sun were inhabited by people, has the Mormon church ever found scientific evidence of that to be true? (Journal of Discourses (1870), 13:271)

In Brigham (and Joseph's) day, there had been newspaper articles reporting that a famous astronomer had reported that there were men on the moon and elsewhere. This was published in LDS areas; the retraction of this famous hoax never was publicized, and so they may not have even heard about it.

Brigham and others were most likely repeating what had been told them by the science of the day. (Lots of Biblical prophets talked about the earth being flat, the sky being a dome, etc.—it is inconsistent for conservative Protestants to complain that a false belief about the physical world shared by others in their culture condemns Brigham and Joseph, but does not condemn Bible prophets.)

In any case, Brigham made it clear that he was expressing his opinion: "Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is." Prophets are entitled to their opinions; in fact, the point of Brigham's discourse is that the only fanatic is one who insists upon clinging to a false idea.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Brigham_Young_and_moonme

Joseph Smith/Moon inhabited - FAIRMormon

Those are funny but here's some that takes the cake:

The flood in the days of Noah was a literal historical event as described in the Bible with the water covering the tops of the mountains and 2 of every animal (or 7, depending on which Bible story you believe) preserved on an ark.

or

The first humans were Adam and Eve who lived a mere 6+ thousands years ago.

or

God ordered his followers to murder their enemies, steal their cattle, take their women and booty and kidnap their children as slaves.

Or

The earth stood still

or

it was darkness for three days

or

the Brother of Jared saw the finger of God. ^_^

Having asked about the "large bodies of water" thing, I've been racking my brains for other strange ideas I've heard about Mormonism. Three spring to mind:

• Heavenly Father (on Kolob) communicates with His spirit-children on Earth via streams of "tachyons" (hypothetical faster-than-light particles which lose energy as they accelerate). This supposedly explains how prayers can be answered instantaneously, despite the many light-years between Kolob and Earth.

• Heavenly Father has a physical body similar to ours, but has powder in his veins in place of blood.

• Joseph Smith claimed that the moon is inhabited by a race of tall humans who dress similarly to the early Quakers. During the 1960s and early 70's, Apollo astronauts were contacted by Church members and asked to look for signs of these people.

Any thoughts on where these ideas may have come from? (Please forgive my idle curiosity.)

never heard of those before , but they worth enough to include in my mormon jokes collection..

Here's some comments from fairmormon--

Since the time when Brigham Young taught that both the moon and the sun were inhabited by people, has the Mormon church ever found scientific evidence of that to be true? (Journal of Discourses (1870), 13:271)

Joseph Smith/Moon inhabited - FAIRMormon

I can't wait to see what a celestial orb would look like and look back and laugh at those who think the Sun was nothing more than a gaseous giant of void, exclaiming it as not a telestial orb for those of receive nothing more than this state.

Interesting:rolleyes:

Bro. Rudick

Snow, is there a thread here where you've worked out your idea of a) whether Adam and Eve existed at all, b) their role, if indeed they existed, and c) if they didn't exist, then the theological import of their story as related in scripture? I'd be interested to read it.

Thanks--

I'm no theologian and no, I haven't worked it out... but briefly, I'd say it is impossible to think of Genesis story of Adam and Eve as a literal, accurate, history. It has to be symbolic. Modern humans - Homo sapiens - were already in existence for 195,000 years before Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden. It makes zero sense to try and deny it. General Authorities accept the idea. However, it seems, in our belief system, that the there had to be some actual living, breathing man known as Adam - who was was also a noble angel prior to mortality, so in some sense Adam has to be considered the first of something, or patriarch. Perhaps he was the first to whom God revealed himself, or the first monotheist or something.