Anyone open to telling me about LDS religon?

I have a few questions for an essay I'm doing and past due questions I have for myself. I have been to the church a few times with close friends and get the "gist," of it.... but need real questions answered. It wont be bias but some of the questions are tough. If they are to tough we will simply continue on to the next question. I am Christian and like I said I have been to the church a few times so I know that the basics....but I'd like to know more.^_^Please be so kind to respond.....and get a chance of your point of view being read :)

Thank you and God Bless!

It is great to find so many people so willing to talk about their religon. Please to NOT take offence to any of these questions...if any of them are touchy or just not one you want to answer please skip and proceed to the next one. I am here only for answers not to judge.

1. How was the book of mormon begin? and what importance does it have to the LDS church? Would you say you learn more from the book of mormon or the bible? You do read both right?

2.Joseph Smith had a vision. Could you tell me more about it? How is it supported?

3.How does your religon inpact your everyday life? Do you read scriptures in the morning with all of your family? Maybe pray more than the average joe? what is unique to your religon when it comes to your average day?

4.Why are missions so important? What does the missionary get out of it? Have you served a mission? If you have a story about it please share.

5. The families are so close, what does your religion have to do with this? What advice would you have for other families?

6. Why are children not aloud in the temple if they have never sinned?

7.What do you feel is the hardest perception to shake?

8. What is the purpose of the full body suit? Is there a name?

9. If you had to define being mormon....what would you say?

10. What do you want people to know about your relgion before judging it?

11. How do you respond when people consider your church a "cult?"

Thank you again,

God Bless,

Mama Moni

Edited by namastic4488

It is great to find so many people so willing to talk about their religon. Please to NOT take offence to any of these questions...if any of them are touchy or just not one you want to answer please skip and proceed to the next one. I am here only for answers not to judge.

1. How was the book of mormon begin? and what importance does it have to the LDS church? Would you say you learn more from the book of mormon or the bible? You do read both right?

2.Joseph Smith had a vision. Could you tell me more about it? How is it supported?

3.How does your religon inpact your everyday life? Do you read scriptures in the morning with all of your family? Maybe pray more than the average joe? what is unique to your religon when it comes to your average day?

4.Why are missions so important? What does the missionary get out of it? Have you served a mission? If you have a story about it please share.

5. The families are so close, what does your religion have to do with this? What advice would you have for other families?

Thank you again,

God Bless,

Mama Moni

This seems a little odd to me. There are some questions you've listed that can be answered by the official church website, lds.org. You can also get those answers at mormon.org.

It appears to me that you should do some research first to get the basics (as asked in questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), then come here to get some of the "how do you live" type of questions answered.

These are good questions, as for the first I guess like most Christian faiths it would be Easter and Christmas.

How has this religion shaped my life, well i can only speak for myself but for me it has answered all of the questions I always had as a child. I now understand our purpose here and no longer feel as if our life here is just a waste of time as I once felt. It doesn't make life less difficult but it does make it more bearable. I now understand that this life shapes our afterlife and that our father in heaven loves us. There was a time i didn't always believe that. Understanding free agency helps me to understand his wisdom and why bad things happen. I now understand that he doesn't cause evil but to stop it would take away our agency.

Now for your last question.I guess you could ask this question of 100 different LDS members and get 100 different answers. For me its not that challenging. I think its more challenging for others to accept our beliefs and practices than it is for us. It bothers me when people make assumptions about our faith and never put forth a genuine effort to understand our beliefs but instead just believe whatever they run across on the internet, or whatever their religious leader tells them about us. Our faith isnt a secret and we are happy to share our beliefs with any who want to know.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for

Despite what we all say, not saying that it is not true, but i would tell to you read the Book of Mormon. It will give you the answers you need far beyond what we can tell you, it will confirm and give you a testimony. I know u may have lots of question, I would suggest you contact the missionaries in your area, if you do it that way they will be able to give you more direct answers to your questions. hope that help.

God Bless

1. What are the important holidays and traditions of this religion?

2. How has religion shaped your life?

3. What are the challenges, if any, to practicing this particular religion?

Ques 2: I grew up with religion in my life.. My parents bought me up in another church and I was baptised in the LDS church when I was 18. Since then I have come to realise that there have been many challenges in my life I would not have got through without my faith and the support I have had from the church, through the priesthood and the leaders. I can't imagine my life without it.

Ques 3: I think the challenges of any religion depend on what trials or addictions people have.. For instance those who smoke may find it more of a challenge adhering to the word of wisdom than those who don't. This is just 1 example.. but there are many more.. Different people struggle with different aspects of the church , but there is always help for those who need it.

I hope this helps.:)

Easter and Christmas, as mentioned are the two religiously observed, but LDS practice cultural and social holidays too. Birthdays are celebrated, as are patriotic holidays. The Hymn book has several US patriotic hymns, and in other countries, the celebratory songs will vary. We also celebrate things like St. Patrick's Day, Valentines Day. New Year's Eve, and even Halloween. Of course, we don't do any special services, but there are sometimes social dinners or youth dances related to such events.

Yes, we use the Bible and Book of Mormon equally.

Joseph Smith—History 1

Joseph Smith—History 1

Probably no moreso than anyone else. Family and personal prayer are encouraged. We always had a prayer on dinner. Sunday is pretty much dedicated to church and family time. Monday evenings are set aside for Family night. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Missionaries are sent out to the world following the standard put forth in the New Testament. It seems to be the best way for people like you to learn more about the church.

Mark 16

Look into why Mormon families are happy, and emulate them.

Children are allowed in to the temple, to be sealed to their parents and if they are over 12, to perform baptism for the dead. Adults also make covenants in the temple that children are not prepared to make until they are older. New adult members also generally wait a year before entering the temple so they can prepare as well.

That we wear full body suits.

Adults who have made temple covenants wear garments. They are not full body suits. They are basically undergarments and serve as a reminder of those covenants.

Being a member of Christ's church. Being a follower of Jesus Christ, and working to build His kingdom on Earth.

Most other religions have just as much (if not more) baggage as does the LDS Church. Most criticisms fail when compared to the practices and beliefs of the Bible, and only the Holy Spirit can speak truth.

Get out a little more. Learn the truth for yourself, and stop blindly following hateful people.

Thank you again,

God Bless,

Mama Moni

and you. :)

You ask good questions. :)

I'd like to share my own answer to #4; why missionaries are so important. I am a convert to the Church. The first day I met a missionary companionship (they always travel in pairs, called a companionship) I had just completed a long run and was checking my mail. The missionaries had an appointment with someone else in my apartment complex and were having trouble finding the building. :lol: I lived and worked there for several years and never figured out the numbering system, but I digress. I walked them over to the building and asked them "What do you guys do anyway?" I ended up taking the discussions. They taught me about what the Church really teaches, not what society thinks they do. They also helped me out in a real bind. I was (still am) a reservist. I got mobilized on a Friday night and had to report Monday morning. This was at the very beginning of the Iraq invasion. I had to move out of my apartment and put everything in storage. I called the missionaries. They got some men from the Church to come over after their service on Sunday (Superbowl Sunday, no less) and help me move the stuff in storage.

That is what missionaries do: they teach about the Gospel and they serve in the community. And they serve members and non-members alike. They also have authority to baptize.

It wasn't until several years later- and many different missionaries- that I joined the Church. Each pair were polite and respectful. They understood my struggle, invited me to participate in Church, and prayed with me.

The missionaries aren't paid for their service. The missionary and his/her family actually pay the expenses of a mission. The young men and women who apply and are called to a mission truly are volunteers in service. Go to this link: LDS Mormon Network On the left side of the page is another link to a corny, but informative, video about missionaries and what they do.

I may try to answer some other questions tomorrow. But, I have to get to work early in the morning and had better head off to sleep now.

Good luck on your report!

Edited by ferretrunner

1. What are the important holidays and traditions of this religion?

We tend to celebrate the standard Christian holidays, with Christmas and Easter as the more important ones.

2. How has religion shaped your life?

The LDS faith becomes a lifestyle, not just a belief. For example, we have a lay clergy (regular members serve in major callings/responsibilities for no pay). We have to be dedicated to donate several hours a week to accomplish the work, particularly in some of the busier callings. And it extends down into the family, as parents are taught to be responsible as the main spiritual guides for the family.

3. What are the challenges, if any, to practicing this particular religion?

It does require dedication to get the most out of it. At the same time, it is very easy to try and "earn" your salvation, by trying to do everything all at once. One soon learns that salvation can only come through Christ's atonement, and that our efforts are there to strengthen us and to help Jesus help others.

Posted Image

Thank you again,

God Bless,

Mama Moni

Perhaps, instead of many questions, start with number one and glean much as you can from members here. You maybe overwhelmed on the response if they answer alll 11 at once.

The Book of Mormon is a record of a group of people who left Jerusalem and sailed to the Americas, it is an account of their history, it is mostly focused on the religious aspect of their history but does focus on some of their wars and so forth. It is an inspired work, like the Bible. Bytebear answers a good amount with his answer. We use both the Bible and the Book of Mormon as well as some additional inspired works which are The Pearl of Great Price and the Doctrine and Covenants. I would say that I learn more from the Book of Mormon, but truly that is personal preference, I find that I can relate to the people in the Book of Mormon more than I can to the people in the Bible.

Bytebear answers this quite well.

It depends on the family, and on the person. If you have a family with children or have developed a schedule with your family then yes you may read scriptures in the morning. It really is personal preference. We are encouraged to read our scriptures, and say our prayers everyday. We are encouraged to fast once a month (usually on the first Sunday of each month), and to pay tithing (10% of our income), and pay a fast offering (generally the cost of the meals you fasted for each month though it can be more). We are encouraged to attend church functions, which can range from Youth Group, Scouts, youth activities, church camp outs, church picnics, conferences both Stake and General (Stake being your regional conference and General being world wide), there are also activities for the men and for the women, although thinking about it now I think the women get together to do things more often than the men do. I am sure I am missing stuff but it is late for me.

Not only do missions help us to share the Gospel with others but a mission allows the missionary to experience a special spiritual experience. It allows them to go and serve others and teach the gospel. I have not gone on a mission myself, I got married before I could, however both my husband and my brother have gone and both often talk about how much they loved it.

Our church focuses on the family. We encourage each family to have a Family Home Evening, which is a small meeting of the family where they often have a lesson an activity and maybe a treat. Many of our church lessons are about families. This does not mean that we have problem free families, but we do encourage people to be family focused.

The temple is not a place you go to worship, the temple is a place you go to make certain covenants with the Lord. Because of this it is not a place you would generally take children because they are not going to be making those covenants yet. Going through the years, a person is baptized at the chapel when they are 8 and becomes a member of the church, when a person reaches the age of 12 they can go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. The endowment is a covenant that is made once you are an adult, generally it is done before marriage. The sealing is a binding of a family together, as in a marriage, because of this if a family has not been sealed then the children can come to the temple to be sealed to their parents. So you see it is not about sinning that children don't come to the temple, it is about the covenants you make at different ages.

From my experience it is the idea that we are polygamous, our church stopped that practice many years ago.

The garment as Bytebear said, is to remind us of the covenants we make in the temple. Because of this it is only worn by adults who have had their endowment.

We are a peculiar people, we tend to live our lives differently because of our beliefs, we are a Christian people and we work to be charitable to all. We do have our faults but then again we are human and humans will have their faults. We are in general a loving people.

That everything you hear about us is not always true, and as bytebear said, every other religion has had just as many if not more problems as we have. Be a little open minded.

So far when people have brought the cult idea up I have taken them to a dictionary which defines a cult in such a way that their church could be classified as a cult as well. That usually shuts them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Go here for you answer to this question.

Here for this one.

3.How does your religon inpact your everyday life?
In every way, as I imagine it does with any truly religious person.
3a.Do you read scriptures in the morning with all of your family?
I wish I could answer this one with an unequivocal yes, but I can't. Instead I'll just leave at a very firm...that depends ^_^
3b.Maybe pray more than the average joe?
Definitely a firm maybe on this one. I don't know how much the average joe prays so I don't know how well I can compare myself to said joe. The average Harry though? Now that's another story.
3c.what is unique to your religon when it comes to your average day?
Probably not much when compared with most other religious individuals.
4.Why are missions so important?

Why was my specific mission so important? Well that depends on the perspective. It was important for my parents because it reinforced that they had brought me up correctly. It was important for me because I was taught many things by the spirit that I don't know if I would have settled down enough to learn otherwise at that age. It was important for those I taught as a missionary because I helped them find the gospel of Christ. Etc...

4a.What does the missionary get out of it?

Lots of things I think. The biggest thing I got out of my mission was a greater understanding of the phrase "have an eternal perspective". In other words, don't worry so much about the here and now, instead be always looking toward the hear and after and you will make the right choices and have greater patience with life. That, when combined with maturity in the gospel, the scriptures, social interactions and an increased self-confidence helped me surmount some of the obstacles I've faced since then.

4b.Have you served a mission?

Yessir (or ma'am, whichever), Utah Ogden '03-'05.

4c.If you have a story about it please share.

You want me to choose just one story? Heh, I don't know that I could sum up 24 months of my life, some of the most eventful 24 months of my life, in just one story. I would be happy to share a specific story if you have a specific topic you would like to hear about.

5. The families are so close, what does your religion have to do with this?
This should help you there.
5a.What advice would you have for other families?
Stop being so selfish, be kind to one another, and remember that they are all you've got.
6. Why are children not [allowed] in the temple if they have never sinned?
The temple is not a place for those who have not sinned (if it were there would only maybe be one, and it would be empty). It is instead a place that adults, who are mature in the gospel, go to make additional covenants or promises with God that are sacred and important. Children do, as has been pointed out, participate in family sealings (which you can read about in the link just above here) and baptisms for the dead when that are twelve or older (which you can read about here and here).

This one is difficult for me because I am chock full of contradictions for a lot of people (see my introduction post) and I've learned not to pay any attention to the misperceptions of others, instead I strive to just be myself.
This was answered perfectly by another poster above.
Continuing Revelation.
I just ask that you give us the same openmindedness that you might give any other religion out there. Don't jump to conclusions based on what somebodies preacher's friend once heard. Do the research, read from the appropriate sources and don't be afraid to question question question, but be willing to listen to the answers.
I usually just chuckle and take a sip of my kool-aide