Help with my investigator friend.

yenni

A friend of mine from school has been taking the discussions for several months now and has set a baptism date for this Friday. Then comes Conference. At the end of the last session yesterday she says, even though she felt the Spirit with the other speakers, she felt nothing when President Monson spoke. She says she believes everything up to this point, just doesn't know about the Prophet. And for some reason was disheartened by the fact that he (and others) had notes to read from, like it was fabricated and he didn't really mean what he said.

Truthfully I felt kind of heat broken when she said she felt nothing when our beloved Prophet bore his testimony. I guess if you don't believe, you don't believe. But when something is true the spirit testifies of it, and I know what he said was true, I always feel such a sweet spirit when he speaks. I just want to know how she can suddenly just not feel it. I know the missionaries asked her to pray and prepare before hand that she might know he's a Prophet. Not wanting to misjudge her, but I really wanted to ask, did you kneel down and pray before you came today.

She was set to have one last meeting with the missionaries after Conference ended. She still met with them and everything, since my brother was there with her I opted out of the meeting to walk around outside. Maybe I should have gone, I don't know. All I know was I was kind of taken aback, kind of angry, mostly sad. It's not even about me, I know that. It's about bringing the truth to a dear friend. The happiness I have because of the Gospel in my life, it's only natural to want to share that with others, though I know it's their choice to accept or reject. I just don't think I could have taken it if any more negative things were said which was probably why I didn't go.

Well she talked with them, they urged her to read some of his talks from the Ensign or online and meet again this Thursday, day before her baptism. I don't know if she'll get around to it with her busy schedule, though I hope she does. At this point I don't know what's going to happen between now and then, if she will go through with the baptism. In the mean time I continue to pray earnestly for her, and myself. I know if she ultimately rejects the Gospel, it's not a personal thing and I shouldn't take it so. I think I just feel sad knowing what she could have had was so close.

I'll try to be positive though and pray she accepts it, whether it be now, or down the road. I guess my only real question is, what can I really do besides pray for her?

I think some investigators have mystical and even superstitious notions of what and who prophets are in general. The scriptures is full of instances where people did NOT believe the prophet, even when he was standing in the room. In fact, many times over they incarcerated the prophet because they refused to believe his counsel.

GC is a public assembly in the church worldwide. It is a time to be instructed from the GA on a wide range of subjects. We are instructed to develop our message in notes to guide our presentation. What can be wrong with that? Often times, the actual speech is different from the notes (if you compare it later to the transcript next month's Ensign) and snippets of inspiration here and there are seen.

The task is centered in the BoM. To receive a witness of the authenticity of it and the revelation that ushered it thru the prophet Joseph at the beginning of the dispensation. The rest will happen as a result.

A friend of mine from school has been taking the discussions for several months now and has set a baptism date for this Friday. Then comes Conference. At the end of the last session yesterday she says, even though she felt the Spirit with the other speakers, she felt nothing when President Monson spoke. She says she believes everything up to this point, just doesn't know about the Prophet. And for some reason was disheartened by the fact that he (and others) had notes to read from, like it was fabricated and he didn't really mean what he said.

Truthfully I felt kind of heat broken when she said she felt nothing when our beloved Prophet bore his testimony. I guess if you don't believe, you don't believe. But when something is true the spirit testifies of it, and I know what he said was true, I always feel such a sweet spirit when he speaks. I just want to know how she can suddenly just not feel it. I know the missionaries asked her to pray and prepare before hand that she might know he's a Prophet. Not wanting to misjudge her, but I really wanted to ask, did you kneel down and pray before you came today.

She was set to have one last meeting with the missionaries after Conference ended. She still met with them and everything, since my brother was there with her I opted out of the meeting to walk around outside. Maybe I should have gone, I don't know. All I know was I was kind of taken aback, kind of angry, mostly sad. It's not even about me, I know that. It's about bringing the truth to a dear friend. The happiness I have because of the Gospel in my life, it's only natural to want to share that with others, though I know it's their choice to accept or reject. I just don't think I could have taken it if any more negative things were said which was probably why I didn't go.

Well she talked with them, they urged her to read some of his talks from the Ensign or online and meet again this Thursday, day before her baptism. I don't know if she'll get around to it with her busy schedule, though I hope she does. At this point I don't know what's going to happen between now and then, if she will go through with the baptism. In the mean time I continue to pray earnestly for her, and myself. I know if she ultimately rejects the Gospel, it's not a personal thing and I shouldn't take it so. I think I just feel sad knowing what she could have had was so close.

I'll try to be positive though and pray she accepts it, whether it be now, or down the road. I guess my only real question is, what can I really do besides pray for her?

Adding to Travelers statement, when I asked the Savior, I received many important answers but of one, I didn’t have a direct personal testimony of Joseph Smith. It was only later, when I finally received it. I still believe on this man as a prophet but didn’t have a personal testimony. It is possible she has the same type of feelings as I did. We simply have a child like faith of such but no real testimony of such.

We need to be reminded; it is the Holy Ghost, which converts the soul and not us, the missionaries, or the leadership of the church. It will come if she is mature and recipient of such. Best thing you can do for her is to be patience and a true friend. Just keep her in your daily prayers, as you already indicated and allow the Spirit to testify to her when she is ready.

If it helps . . . President Monson doesn't really resonate with me, either. Doesn't mean the Church isn't true, or that President Monson is a false prophet. Just means our personalities don't jibe, and I've been slothful obtaining my own personal witness of his calling.

She ought to keep working on her testimony of President Monson, but as long as she has a testimony of the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, priesthood, the restoration, etc.--it shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

In the meantime, show her some vintage Hinckley.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

And for some reason was disheartened by the fact that he (and others) had notes to read from, like it was fabricated and he didn't really mean what he said.

I am non-LDS and I know why I could never become LDS but this reason is crazy. The New Testament is a product of epistles (letters) written by individuals to groups of people (congregations). I can think of reasons to not join but not because President Monson wrote and read his talks. That makes no sense whatsoever.

President Monson only looked at his notes twice {sunday morning} when he was quoting scripture; And his message was most appropriate for these days of economic and financial hardships and how we as l.d.s should always have compassion for and help all others wherever they are or whatever they may need; we need to stand for the things we have been blessed with; to stand for those whom have less, to help with monetery spiritual or any other things we can to help others no matter what faith there are of. I think it was indeed a very inspired and much needed message for the entire world to hear.:)

Cut your friend some slack. Almost all baptisms have a bump or two in the road. Do you think that Satan just gives up and goes away?

The best thing to do is be her friend, keep up talking about the church in a non-forced but natural way, and she'll come around. The Spirit will confirm all things to her in time, and she may just need to do some praying/thinking before she commits.

Better to have doubts now than after her baptism. Then she'd be held accountable for covenants she'd made. If she believes everything but Pres Monson, she'll work it out...

You asked what else you can do besides pray for her. The answer is the same the Lord has always told us.

Love her and be her friend.

My calling I work close with investigators and new members I can tell you Satan works hard on them to find any chink he can. As the others have said many of us upon joining have area's we have not developed a sure testimony of. President Faust never resinated with me but was one of my children's favorites. We are each different and unique we respond to many different things which is one reason Missionaries are moved around so much so that different personalities can interact differently with each area being served.

Let her know that her not feeling anything is no reflection on his being a true Prophet or not. Espicially as you said she had good feelings about other speakers. I don't like every speaker in sacrament each week that does not make their talk any less true then the ones I love to listen to. It just depends on many individual factors.

Show love and support for her no matter what path she takes. We have members who take years to decide to be baptized in the end. Many others take years to fully grow roots to become anchored members with sure testimonies. More then the Missionaries you are the best one for her to talk to, do so not as a member missionary but as a friend. It might be something else that is triggering her concern and GC was just an excuse to avoid something else. Remember many non members are most likely feeding negative and false information as well. It is a difficult time and confusing for most investigators.

Pray but remember be her friend.

when i joined the church at age 30, the only prompting i got was "you should join this church..." what does she want, a burning bush?

A burning bush.. a talking stone.. or a talking ass -- heck, I'll take any of them. :lol: I'm a member and I could still use some extra help. You should be proud that she is skeptical.. this means that she is building her house on solid ground so to speak.