Happy Holy Days--Tis the season to take offence?

Mike Reed

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an official humbug. Fewer folks get offended that way. The athiests and adherents of other faiths are happy to encounter me, because they only vaguely know the story behind the word, none of them realize how Christian a story it is. The Christians are already worried for my soul, so hearing 'humbug' doesn't change what they would have thought of me anyway.

OK, let's spell it out. Some Christians get mad, and a good number are mildly irritated that, in a land that is 85% self-professed Christian, it rather suddenly became rude to "impose religion" by saying "Merry Christmas." Our thought is that most non-Christians should accept the underlying majority culture, and just take it as a generic blessing. However, because a very few chose to take offense, it quickly became wrong to offer a blessing that's been traditional for several generations.

We'll get over it, but why begrudge us to be irritated? If a Buddhist wished me good kharma and a more blessed next life, I surely would not be offended--especially if I were in Thailand! :-)

I have no problem with Happy Holidays, I never have, but I do find it strange and disconcerting that this year Merry Christmas is no longer allowed at certain places. If someone wants to say Merry Christmas then let them, if they want to say Happy Holidays then let them, if they want to wish people well for any of the holidays during the winter season then let them. And if you are a person who takes offense to that then maybe you have too tender feel goods and should stay inside.

The sad irony that I find among all of this is that people have fought over time for their freedom of speech, they have fought for the right to say what they want and put what they want into the media. And yet we find that the freedom of speech for saying things such as Merry Christmas is some how for some reason being taken away.

Ah, you see, what you should have said is this:

From me ("the wisher") to you ("hereinafter called the wishee") please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

Also, a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2010, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects whose contributions to society have helped make Britain great, (not to imply that Britain is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "Britain" in the western hemisphere), and having regard to the species, race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or dietary preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are bound by these terms, inter alia that:

1. This greeting is subject to further clarification or withdrawal.

2. This greeting is freely transferable provided that no alteration shall be made to the original greeting and that the proprietary rights of the wisher are acknowledged.

3. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes.

4. This greeting may not be enforceable in certain jurisdictions and/or the restrictions herein may not be binding upon certain wishees in certain jurisdictions and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.

5. This greeting is warranted to perform as reasonably may be expected within the usual application of good tidings, for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

6. The wisher warrants this greeting only for the limited replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Any references in this greeting to "Father Christmas", or any other festive figures, whether actual or fictitious, dead or alive, shall not imply any endorsement by or from them in respect of this greeting, and all proprietary rights in any referenced third party names and images are hereby acknowledged"

I think that just about covers your back. What do you think, Just_A_Guy, as our resident lawyer?

Seasonal felicitations everyone

Edited by Mahone

I personally think the "War on Christmas" is a bit silly, as it shows how narrow-minded some Christian extremists can be as they refuse to acknowledge that there are other religious holy days during this time of year. As for Kwanzaa, it's more of a cultural holiday, and African American Christians also celebrate Christmas the day before Kwanzaa starts.

With workplaces, I've never heard of one where workers were allowed to swear at customers, even if the customer is swearing at them. It happens, there are customers who are rude enough to use foul language at retail staff. Even if the company has a policy for being politically correct by requiring employees to say "Happy Holidays," they still won't tolerate anyone swearing at customers, even going so far as to fire the employee on the spot.

Ironically, I just received the following email from the same grandmother who sent one last week that ranted about Christmas trees vs. Hanukkah bushes (or anything else lacking the word 'Christmas').

Letter from Jesus about Christmas –

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season.

How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Now, having said that let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it:

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing the President complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up... It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day in church and at home with their families.

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary-- especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember :

I LOVE YOU,

JESUS

The one thing that bugs me is people writing Xmas instead of Christmas. To me that takes Christ out of Christmas. Just a personal thing of mine.

But the X is Greek, representing the Cristos. The Etymology of X-Mas :cool:

Edited by prisonchaplain
add link

Guest xforeverxmetalx

if anyone tells me I can't say "merry Christmas", I'm going for "happy December". covers everything... even atheists believe in December. :D

Edited by xforeverxmetalx

Well like I said..it's just a personal thing of mine.

It is for a lot of people. It used to bug me a lot, too, until I learned the etymology. It bugs me a little still, under certain circumstances. I used to read a blog which was written by an atheist (an anti-Christian, in fact, but it was just a humor blog). She referred to it as Xmas very deliberately, and even spoke it that way in real life. She refused to use Christmas.

Also, laziness about writing annoys me. But unless it's deliberate and demeaning (like the example above), Xmas doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Okay, if my company tells me I can't say Merry Christmas to customers, instead say Happy Holidays, well, it IS a private business and I am on their time, therefore, I will say Happy Holidays, or Season's Greetings, or whatever it is the employee handbook tells me to say. Either that, or find another job. Don't know where the "freedom of speech" comes in.

If I am a Federal or State government that espouses religious freedom, then I would expect my federal/state employees (like teachers and such) to be religious neutral in Federal/State time - I mean, it's a government for the people, yes?

Of course, any other time, you should be able to do/say what you want as long as it's not against the law. Like, students should be able to say I love Jesus Christ, my Savior, on the podium when delivering a graduation speech! Last I checked, students were not employees of the Federal or State government...

Edited by anatess

Anatess, you are right. What many Christians question is how it came to this. "Religious nuetrality," never used to mean that one could not say "Merry Christmas." It's one of the biggest holidays in our country, one full of traditions both Christian and secular. Somewhere along the way, a few chose to take offense, and it seems the tail is wagging the dog here. Sure sure, obey the rules. And Christians lambasting retail employees for saying Happy Holidays is just ignorant. But again, can't the secular or other-religion minority at least understand why we 85% are somewhat irritated at this quick turn of events?

The way that 'religious neutrality' is sought in the public sphere baffles me. It seems that the movement isn't to get all religions included, but to remove religion from the public conscience (since Christianity is indisputably the dominant religion, I think this often takes the form of anti-Christian sentiments or agendas). Instead of tearing down a statue of the 10 Commandments, why not erect one of another religious codex of laws?

It seems to be based on a desire to depart from all religiously-inspired culture and morality, which is IMO folly.

The way that 'religious neutrality' is sought in the public sphere baffles me. It seems that the movement isn't to get all religions included, but to remove religion from the public conscience (since Christianity is indisputably the dominant religion, I think this often takes the form of anti-Christian sentiments or agendas). Instead of tearing down a statue of the 10 Commandments, why not erect one of another religious codex of laws?

It seems to be based on a desire to depart from all religiously-inspired culture and morality, which is IMO folly.

Okay, just so you understand, I'm LDS. I'm completely in the religious camp.

At the same time, I grew up in the Philippines who has 300+ years under Spain who used the Catholic Church to control the people.

So, for me, I have no problem taking out "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance. I don't have a problem with taking out the 10 commandments from the state/federal courts. I especially don't have a problem with taking out the bible from the oath to "tell the truth and nothing but the truth". I mean, let's say you have a Buddhist witness and you ask him to put his hand on the bible to swear to tell the truth. Okay, sure, I'll put my hand on that there bible and swear...

I don't think this is synonymous to removing religion out of the public conscience. The government is not responsible - nor should it be responsible - for promoting religious practice. It shouldn't be responsible for public conscience. The PUBLIC is responsible for that.

Now, there is an American culture formed by the environment in which we live. American culture has shifted slowly from their Christian roots. You can't put blame on the government or any political move for that. Except maybe for the government's hand in fostering an environment where parents/elders do not feel it their obligation to teach children anymore. They leave it all up to the public school system. Maybe it has direct impact to the rise of single parents. Parents who do not spend the energy to ground their kids in any religion or moral standard (because, even atheists have moral standards).

If God is getting removed from the public conscience, it is not because God gets removed from the pledge of allegiance. It is because parents quit teaching their children about God. It is because they buy into this "hollywood style" or subscribe to the news outlets telling them it's not okay to say Merry Christmas. Bah humbug! I don't let CNN or Fox or Brad Pitt tell me what to say.

Edited by anatess

Can someone please tell me what religion celebrates Christmas that would be promoted by stating Merry Christmas, etc?

Then, please explain how Seperation of Church and State means seperation of God and State?

And, when you are done with those, go ahead and tell me what number to stop on to reach infinity. :) LOL

Oh...Wait...Lazy typing. Hmmm...

IDK...

Can someone please tell me what religion celebrates Christmas that would be promoted by stating Merry Christmas, etc?

Christianity

Then, please explain how Seperation of Church and State means seperation of God and State?

Ask an atheist

And, when you are done with those, go ahead and tell me what number to stop on to reach infinity. :) LOL

Oh...Wait...Lazy typing. Hmmm...

IDK...

Infinity

Christianity

Not a 'religion'. It is a faith. A religion or church, as utilized at the time the founding documents were written, would refer to the Church of Christ, teh Church of England, the Catholic Church, the First Baptist Church of the United States, etc.

Ask an atheist

If I can find one who can answer based on the Constitutional intention of the founding fathers, I would be happy to. :) In fact, MOST atheists do not particularily care. It is the zealot atheists who do. Amazing, that a group who suggest that 'faith' is mistaken, they have a mighty strong group of extremist zealots of their own. :)

Infinity

Okay, what number comes just before infinity? :)

So, for me, I have no problem taking out "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance. [Other examples.]..

I don't think this is synonymous to removing religion out of the public conscience. The government is not responsible - nor should it be responsible - for promoting religious practice. It shouldn't be responsible for public conscience. The PUBLIC is responsible for that.

I don't disagree wth you here. In my opinion, the removal of more overt religiosity in government is a symptom of the degredation of the government and the people, not the degredation itself. I think such acts are but a few of the physical deeds in which the changing national sentiment manifests itself.

Now, there is an American culture formed by the environment in which we live. American culture has shifted slowly from their Christian roots. You can't put blame on the government or any political move for that.

I haven't tried (at least not in recent years :D). I think such things can be directly related to the breakdown of the family as the nationally recognized, fundamental unit of society. I think this goes hand-in-hand with the moral degredation of society.

If God is getting removed from the public conscience, it is not because God gets removed from the pledge of allegiance. It is because parents quit teaching their children about God. It is because they buy into this "hollywood style" or subscribe to the news outlets telling them it's not okay to say Merry Christmas. Bah humbug! I don't let CNN or Fox or Brad Pitt tell me what to say.

Amen.

Although I do take my marching orders from Glenn Beck... :eek: