Temple Recommends And Blessings

jared007

I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd get some input about an issue that's bugged me lately. A couple of years ago, I had the priviledge of blessing my daughter. Before the blessing took place, my bishop mentioned that it used to be that the brethren involved in the circle would have to flash their recommends to the Bishop as a sign of their worthiness to be there, but they don't do that anymore. It struck me as a bit of an intrusive and faithless practice. Nevertheless, I was glad that it was no longer done. Last week, however I attended my nieces baptism. I was in between renewing my recommends (I'm the worst at putting things off) or in other words the thing had recently expired. My brother inconveniently informed me that church is now back to the practice of carding priesthood holders before ordinances like a blessing or confirmation. As a result I was not allowed to participate in the confirmation. I'll have to admit even if it was current, I wouldn't have wanted to show it to him because I don't think that's any of his business unless he is my Bishop which he wasn't.

I do understand the principle and logic behind the policy and if that's the way things are gonna be done now then I'll go along with it. I just don't think it's a very fair and accurate way of measuring a priesthood holder's eligibility to participate in blessings and such. Too many variables involved. Anyway, I just had to that out of my system.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by jared007@Nov 6 2005, 08:19 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd get some input about an issue that's bugged me lately.  A couple of years ago, I had the priviledge of blessing my daughter.  Before the blessing took place, my bishop mentioned that it used to be that the brethren involved in the circle would have to flash their recommends to the Bishop as a sign of their worthiness to be there, but they don't do that anymore.  It struck me as a bit of an intrusive and faithless practice.  Nevertheless, I was glad that it was no longer done.  Last week, however I attended my nieces baptism.  I was in between renewing my recommends (I'm the worst at putting things off) or in other words the thing had recently expired.  My brother inconveniently informed me that church is now back to the practice of carding priesthood holders before ordinances like a blessing or confirmation.  As a result I was not allowed to participate in the confirmation.  I'll have to admit even if it was current, I wouldn't have wanted to show it to him because I don't think that's any of his business unless he is my Bishop which he wasn't.

I do understand the principle and logic behind the policy and if that's the way things are gonna be done now then I'll go along with it.  I just don't think it's a very fair and accurate way of measuring a priesthood holder's eligibility to participate in blessings and such.  Too many variables involved.  Anyway, I just had to that out of my system.

Well I have been around for a very long time and have never heard or seen anything like what you describe...

I would report what you experienced to the church offices... NOW.

Originally posted by jared007@Nov 6 2005, 08:19 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd get some input about an issue that's bugged me lately.  A couple of years ago, I had the priviledge of blessing my daughter.  Before the blessing took place, my bishop mentioned that it used to be that the brethren involved in the circle would have to flash their recommends to the Bishop as a sign of their worthiness to be there, but they don't do that anymore.  It struck me as a bit of an intrusive and faithless practice.  Nevertheless, I was glad that it was no longer done.  Last week, however I attended my nieces baptism.  I was in between renewing my recommends (I'm the worst at putting things off) or in other words the thing had recently expired.  My brother inconveniently informed me that church is now back to the practice of carding priesthood holders before ordinances like a blessing or confirmation.  As a result I was not allowed to participate in the confirmation.  I'll have to admit even if it was current, I wouldn't have wanted to show it to him because I don't think that's any of his business unless he is my Bishop which he wasn't.

I do understand the principle and logic behind the policy and if that's the way things are gonna be done now then I'll go along with it.  I just don't think it's a very fair and accurate way of measuring a priesthood holder's eligibility to participate in blessings and such.  Too many variables involved.  Anyway, I just had to that out of my system.

The way thats suppose to work is.....the Bishop or Branch President approves all who stand in the circle...if they are from another ward they need approval from their Bishop they are worthy to do so...their Bishop needs to send a note or call the Bishop to let him know this. If a recommend is needed to participate then I have been doing this wrong for the last 6 years...

Originally posted by Palerider+Nov 6 2005, 07:42 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-jared007@Nov 6 2005, 08:19 PM

The way thats suppose to work is.....the Bishop or Branch President approves all who stand in the circle...if they are from another ward they need approval from their Bishop they are worthy to do so...their Bishop needs to send a note or call the Bishop to let him know this. If a recommend is needed to participate then I have been doing this wrong for the last 6 years...

That makes a little more sense. It could be that this was some personal discretion by that particular Bishop. Of course the way things are supposed to be done and how things actually get done in the church are often 2 different things.

Ive never seen that. What is usually asked if you are visiting and involved in the circles is if you are a worthy MP holder or if you are performing the ordinance have a letter frm your bishop. Its just a courtesy. I would suspect that its easier to show your recommend then the other bishop having to ask for a letter.

Originally posted by jared007@Nov 6 2005, 06:19 PM

A similar thing happened with my husband with my son They said his recomend wasnt up to date and was not allowed to do it......

Guest Member_Deleted

I have known a few non-temple recommend holders who participated in blessing their babies...

What are we saying here... that you don't have the priesthood unless you have a recommend? A father's blessing isn't an ordinance... it is just a father's blessing and naming their child...

Guest ToasterOfen

Originally posted by Palerider+Nov 6 2005, 07:42 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-jared007@Nov 6 2005, 08:19 PM

I don't know how this could be accomplished. My husband's family is HUGE! At baby blessings or confirmations, there can be more than 20 worthy MP holders participating (there are many more worthy that are worthy, but some choose to sit out just because the circles get too large). At no time have they ever been asked to show a letter from their bishop saying that they are worthy. It would take the bishop an hour just to read and confirm all of them.

At all the wards I have attended, it is said, "We would like to invite all those worthy Melchezadik Priesthood holders who have been asked to join the circle to please come up now." It sits on the shoulders of the priesthood holder to be honest about whether he is or isn't worthy. And, if they aren't worthy, the Lord will know and they will be judged by the Lord. It isn't going to lessen the importance of the blessing, or nullify it.

I agree with the statement that you don't need a temple recommend to be worthy of your MP and to stand in a circle. I don't see the logic behind it.

Handbook of instructions says that it is Bishop or Branch Presidents responsibility to make sure those participating in priesthood ordinances. Baby blessings is a recorded event. Not an ordinance such as baptism or confirmation. All who participate are to be worthy priesthood holders. No requirement to hold a recommend. Handbook does say that a letter if performing in a visiting ward. Only person performing the blessing is the one they worry about worthiness. I have performed baptisms, confirmations and blessings in wards other than my own and in the privacy of the Bishop's office shown him my temple recommend to show that I have been found worthy by my Bishop and Stake President. I have also signed my own recommend. As I am sure PaleRider has. :)

yeah ive never heard of such thing, but when my kids have been blessed they do say " all those that have been asked and are worthy please come up and join the circle." God knows who that is and hopefully you do to for yourself, and even if someone has a current two year temple reccomend but isnt worthy, they will be in trouble if they practice and know that they shouldn't be.

We had the same thing happen at a nephew's blessing. Our recommends had expired the month I gave birth to my first son. They were actually a few months expired if I remember right. The bishop said it was fine (and to get it renewed!) but that they had some concerns in the past where family members were having non-members in the circle.

Originally posted by Please@Nov 7 2005, 12:07 AM

I have known a few non-temple recommend holders who participated in blessing their babies...   

What are we saying here... that you don't have the priesthood unless you have a recommend? A father's blessing isn't an ordinance... it is just a father's blessing and naming their child... 

It is true that a father's blessing can be done without the priesthood, but the a baby blessing is an ordinance and is performed by the power of the MP, albeit not a saving ordinance.

Also, any MP holder should have a valid temple recommend, if they are worthy, although I agree that to expect all people present to have there recommend handy is not very realistic. How many of us can't remember our recommend when we are on our way to the temple.

There is a special recommend booklet that is used for members traveling that wish to perform a baptism, bless a baby or other ordinance as the one doing the ordinance. There is no actual requirement for those participating. The assumption is the person performing the ordinance has invited people that he believes to be worthy to stand in with him.

Originally posted by Ray@Nov 7 2005, 05:43 PM

That's an interesting way to put it.. being "carded" for our recommend.

And considering that we are "carded" in the temple, I really don't see any problem with it... though I do now see the "carding" process in a whole new light.  :)

I didn't mean to make it sound too negative. I was just looking for a word that describes how I felt during that experience. Being "carded" while going to the temple is a little different. You have a pass to enter into the temple. In the case of a child blessing of confirmation, you're not trying to get into the temple. You're a Melchizedek preisthood holder exercising that power and authority. I'd have no problem if a Bishop required proof of that such as a Melchizedek priesthood certificate, but I just didn't see how a current temple recommend was a valid prerequisite in that setting other than documentation of assumed worthiness.

Maybe I should clarify what I have said also. This is when you are performing an ordinance not in your ward of record. In your home ward your Bishop should know if you are authorized to perform an ordinance in his ward or not and each Bishop or Branch President is responsible for what goes on in his ward. It is his stewardship

I have never heard of anyone being turned away from this type of ordinance for not having a current recommend. If this was something we needed to worry about I would have been told to be the reminder of that and I have not... thus far. ;)

Regardless of what ever opinions we hold there is revelation specific to this matter. When someone is among a congregation other than where they are known they are instructed to take a letter signed from the presiding priesthood holder where their records are held. (See D&C 20:84)

A while back (I do not remember exactly which conference) during a priesthood session, President Hinckley addressed the importance of maintaining a temple recommend. He said that it was the most important item he carried with him. This included personal id, money, credit cards or pass port. A temple recommend is the letter of recommendation called for in D&C 20:84. As an international traveler I cannot imagine someone even thinking of traveling abroad without a current pass port (recommend of sorts) or with the excuse that they intended to renew it but just did not think it important for just the current trip.

I am personally appalled with the rather childish behavior and cavalier attitude toward sacred covenants. Why esteem sacred things so poorly. I would think if one had an inheritance from which they received $25,000 every month if they would present themselves before a magistrate once every two years to demonstrate compliance with requirements of the inheritance. Who among you would allow such a valuable reward to laps saying they meant to get it done and blame the magistrate for not extending their monthly payments till they got around to updating their compliance? Are we to esteem the things of mammon above the things of G-d?

ARE THE SACRED THINGS OF G-D OF SUCH LOW ESTEEM TO US THAT WE CAN NEGLECT COUNSEL GIVEN BY REVELATION AND EXPECT NO CONSEQUENCE?

The Traveler

Guest ToasterOfen

Well, I for one am glad it went from having to be renewed every year, to every two years. Like Ray, I do keep mine in my wallet, but in my rush to get out the door I have forgotten to grab my purse. And, I do try and make every effort to keep my recommend current, but sometimes I'm not always successful. Sometimes it isn't just because I couldn't find the time or forgot.

For instance, when I was pregnant with the twins, I was put on bedrest and during that time was when my recommend expired. I was not being negligent, I was not being irresponsible...I could not forsee that I would be on bedrest for 3 months (4 if they had been full term). Sometimes there are unforseen things that happen. Given a lot people get busy and forget to renew it, but sometimes there really are very good reasons a person is unable to and it lapses.