Who is not required to tithe?Question about a mother

Nobody is required to tithe, unless you wish to follow God's commandments. If you do, you tithe on your increase - regardless of whether you're a student, or a single mother on welfare with 5 kids, or a rich person.

Mark 12:42-44 - And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

LM

Would a sole support mother who is on welfare with 5 children be required to tithe? I know students are not, what about this situation?

Not entirely true. If a student is working while attending school they therefore have an increase which is subject to tithing.

Anyone working for an income needs to tithe in order to receive a temple recommend. This includes students if they have a part-time or full-time job, and yes members on welfare.

One thing to think about is that the church has welfare programs in a way too. Have you heard of a fast offering? If you are making a sincere effort to tithe regularly, then you are well within your right to ask the bishop about receiving assistance if it's available.

Sometimes there are situations in which bishops see it fit to grant a recommend without receiving tithing. But that's their call and there is no magic formula for this.

One thing to think about is that the church has welfare programs in a way too. Have you heard of a fast offering? If you are making a sincere effort to tithe regularly, then you are well within your right to ask the bishop about receiving assistance if it's available.

It's not a requirement to pay tithing to receive assistance from the Church. A requirement to get a temple recommend but not to receive assistance. I've received assistance before and the ONLY thing that was suggested to me (but not required) is donating some of my time to stocking shelves etc. at the Bishop's storehouse.

Would a sole support mother who is on welfare with 5 children be required to tithe? I know students are not, what about this situation?

Along the same lines of previous posters, I would encourage the mother to talk to the ward's Bishop and seek assistances. If not already, talk to the Relief Society President and the home teachers. The church is here for the mother much as possible.

However, it is customary to still tithe if there is any income regardless the circumstances. No one is escapable. But it is true; there is no compulsion here to pay tithing.

Regarding temple holders, they are under a different obligation than tithing and need to remind themselves of the covenants they made. It is not tithing but to consecrate their time, talents, income, and means to the church [meaning – to the Savior]. They live under different sets of rules than tithing. Though, it is still part of the recommend that we are 100-percent tithe payers but need to realize the circumstances to the oaths we made with the Lord.

A small excerpt from the church handbook of instructions (this does not break copyright).

All Church members who have income should pay tithing, with the following exceptions:

1. Members entirely dependent on Church welfare assistance.

2. Full-time missionaries. (However, missionaries should pay tithing on personal income beyond what they receive for their support from families and others.)

So the short answer is yes. To get the long answer, the bishop of your ward / branch will be able to help you further. There are other potential exceptions.

my six yr old was handed a tithing enevelop to give me after primary. We do not get assistance from the church and 2 weeks into the month we are literally scrambling for food and other basics. I have never been to the temple. I am only real new to the church. I am worried about this as she was handed an enevelop, to me that says tithe. I remember in the past when i was a member (only for a few months about 8 yrs ago) i was living on student loans and they said do not pay. I have even less money now and 3 more people to support and i think they are requiring me to. i cannot fast as i am pregnant with number 5. husband does not live with us or help. I know i have to talk to the bishop about this. Thanks for your input

Do you have visiting or home teachers? Do they actually visit you? That's one of the things they should be assessing when visiting. If there are any physical or spiritual needs you might have.

I remember in the past when i was a member (only for a few months about 8 yrs ago) i was living on student loans and they said do not pay.

Debt isn't income/increase. I pay tithing on my Pel Grant but not on my student loans, I will however be paying tithing on the income that pays back the student loan. So it isn't a student exemption, they probably were thinking that same thing I thought and reached the same conclusion. I did make $300 on an odd job, and that I paid tithing on even though I'm a student. This is of course my own conclusion, you get two Mormons in a room and you'll get 3 ideas on just what is and isn't considered income/increase and thus requiring of tithe. :)

I am worried about this as she was handed an enevelop, to me that says tithe.

Was the lesson on tithing? Teachers will show the kids the envelope and slip so they are familiar with it and lots of parents have their children learn to tithe (their allowance and odd jobs). Lacking any other information that would be my assumption as opposed to some sort of hint that you start tithing.

i think they are requiring me to

If it is increase/income you should be tithing, as others have pointed out, even if that means you have to go to the Bishop for help. That seems weird to pay tithing so you can't afford food and then need help getting food from the church but tithing is a large part about sacrifice and humility not simply a way to finance the Lord's Church.

Edited by Dravin

They would not hand a child an envelope for you. I am sure they must have had a lesson on tithing. Seriously, if you are scrambling for food, then you need to make an appointment with the Bishop, there is help available. Talk to your Ward Exec Secretary to make an appointment and if you don't know who that is, just ask someone (member of the Bishopric, Releif Society President, etc)

There are blessings received from Tithing but not all are temporal blessings for the here and now, it may be that the Bishop will ask you to pay tithing and then will help you out with food or bills - that is what our fast offerings go towards, heping the needy and most people I know have had to have help from time to time, just lay out to the Bishop what your financial situation is.

Edited by mnn727

I have never been in a position to discuss a situation where the payment of tithes was a commandment that didn't apply. I think that in the case of student loans, it wasn't required because it isn't an increase of your money, it's borrowing someone else's money. Forgive me though as I am not really certain how student loans work.

As for your present situation, I personally advise heavily that you pay tithes. The blessings you would get for your expression of faith in this manner would far outweigh whatever capability that 10% could grant you.