Church discipline

because1

Honestly I don't know exactly, my understanding from my time as a clerk was that it was up to the Bishop or Branch President and there was no set items.

I know of one who held a calling, could offer prayer but not take the sacrament. Another had the calling but could not do prayer or sacrament. Some also had other conditions such as set amounts of scripture reading and then reporting back, extra service work etc.

If someone needs to know I would suggest asking the local Leadership.

The conditions of informal probation are entirely up to the discretion of the bishop/branch president. The conditions may be restrictive or prescriptive. In other words, the leader will seek to set conditions that are geared towards positive growth and repentance and since each individual's situation and needs are unique, the conditions are left to inspiration.

Thanks for your posts. When the Bishop says I am not to say public prayers, does that mean not to say any of the out-loud family prayers with my family?

It would be best to speak with your bishop directly for clarification. There is no way for us to know what he intended.

What qedd and LDSValley said. We're not your bishop - you need to ask him if there's a question.

When I was on informal probation, the Bishop told me "no public prayers" was something that was often done. However, because I was the gospel principles instructor at the time, he told me specifically I could pray in that class if there was nobody else that felt comfortable doing it.

The Bishop specifically tailors the discipline to the individual member's needs, in a way that will help the member the most.

LM

I suggest finding another religion that is more loving, and caring. And, won't treat it's adult members like mindless, misbehaving children...just my 2 cents for what's it worth...

my 5 cent reply.

Because it is a loving and caring religion we have standards and consequences. Just as I do for my children so God has for his.

But you are welcome to your 2 cents of course, Because God has given it to you.

Peace and joy this season Metis.

Guest mormonmusic

I suggest finding another religion that is more loving, and caring. And, won't treat it's adult members like mindless, misbehaving children...just my 2 cents for what's it worth...

Even though le_Metis is banned, I'd like to echo LDSValley's comment -- the purpose of Church discipline is multi-faceted, and one purpose is to help the person recognize the mistake they made and its gravity. The fact that there are consequences in this life for certain behavior helps others recognize what the Lord expects.

I also want to speak personally. With some of the challenges I've faced in my marriage, and since overcome, the knowledge that I'd be risking my church membership if I strayed from the path of fidelity helped me remain faithful, along with my testimony. Even during times of intense temptation. I'm grateful that we are a Church with standards as they've helped me stay on the straight and narrow.

Also, knowing that certain kinds of behavior need confession helps Bishops know his membership, and he can be careful not to put people with certain tendencies in positions where they can hurt the innocent.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I've seen people come to disciplinary councils and leave feeling a burden has been lifted, even though they've been subject to discipline.

Thanks for your posts. When the Bishop says I am not to say public prayers, does that mean not to say any of the out-loud family prayers with my family?

What that means is in class or sacrament meeting or some other Church function. Praying out loud at home with your family is not one of those things he has any authority over. The father and/or mother preside in the home.

In the home the presiding authority is always vested in the father, and in all home affairs and family matters there is no other authority paramount” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1975], p. 27; italics added).

“God established that fathers are to preside in the home. Fathers are to provide, love, teach, and direct” (Ezra Taft Benson, in Conference Report, Apr. 1984, p. 6; or Ensign, May 1984, p. 6; italics added).

“ ‘Fatherhood is leadership, the most important kind of leadership. It has always been so; it will always be so. Father, with the assistance and counsel and encouragement of your eternal companion, you preside in the home’ ” (Father, Consider Your Ways [pamphlet, 1973], pp. 4–5; as cited by Ezra Taft Benson, Ensign, Nov. 1987, p. 49).

By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed. (LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - “The Family: A Proclamation to the Worldâ€)

It's important for you to know that God wants you to pray to Him, as an individual and as a family. That is part of holding onto the Iron Rod, and navigating the challenges in your life. Whatever you are going through right now, personal and family prayer are vitally important observances in helping you through it.

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

As others have said, ask your bishop. However, I feel very confident in stating that the bishop would never, ever tell you not to pray in your own home, either by yourself or with your family. Those are private, not public, prayers. I am 100% certain the bishop had no idea of limiting you from praying at home.

Actually, I have to say that this process (though difficult to accept at first) has made me really become introspective to the gravity of the importance of living the commandments of God. I really believed that since my behavior was mutual and didn't really harm anyone, that I was okay. I was wrong. It absolutely decays at my mind, heart, and spirit. In this process, pride and lack of humility would prevent me from being truly repentant. Though this has been a hard pill to swallow, I realize that it has caused me to realign myself to God. The scripture "Thou shalt love the Lord, they God, with all thine heart" as the single greatest commandment have run through my mind. I do love him. No matter what I do, he will love me. However it is also written "If ye love me, keep my commandments." I had deceived myself by relaxing the laws of God. Though my sin is not grievous, it does require rectification. Though this discipline is still quite fresh for me and I may need some clarification to what the guidelines were that were set, I don't see it as punishment. The truth of it is that I was behaving quite mindlessly like a misbehaved child. This reminds me that I need to be responsible for that behavior. I am genuinely sorry if you've had an experience that has soured your feelings towards this church. For me, I realize the blessings I've partaken of and the joy I used to have. I wish to freely partake of it again. That can only happen as I sincerely repent.

As others have said, ask your bishop. However, I feel very confident in stating that the bishop would never, ever tell you not to pray in your own home, either by yourself or with your family. Those are private, not public, prayers. I am 100% certain the bishop had no idea of limiting you from praying at home.

Ditto

Hidden

Another Ditto

The Bishop does not have stewardship over what happens in your home unless it is a church related thing or something such as using your priesthood authority.

Actually, I have to say that this process (though difficult to accept at first) has made me really become introspective to the gravity of the importance of living the commandments of God. I really believed that since my behavior was mutual and didn't really harm anyone, that I was okay. I was wrong. It absolutely decays at my mind, heart, and spirit. In this process, pride and lack of humility would prevent me from being truly repentant. Though this has been a hard pill to swallow, I realize that it has caused me to realign myself to God. The scripture "Thou shalt love the Lord, they God, with all thine heart" as the single greatest commandment have run through my mind. I do love him. No matter what I do, he will love me. However it is also written "If ye love me, keep my commandments." I had deceived myself by relaxing the laws of God. Though my sin is not grievous, it does require rectification. Though this discipline is still quite fresh for me and I may need some clarification to what the guidelines were that were set, I don't see it as punishment. The truth of it is that I was behaving quite mindlessly like a misbehaved child. This reminds me that I need to be responsible for that behavior. I am genuinely sorry if you've had an experience that has soured your feelings towards this church. For me, I realize the blessings I've partaken of and the joy I used to have. I wish to freely partake of it again. That can only happen as I sincerely repent.

Return to the Bishop and ask him to be more explicit on what was previously given.

What Vort and the others have said is correct. Check with your bishop, this year I have been going through informal probation and have had to ask for clarification many times from my bishop. This has helped me to keep doing what I need to. It has also helped me to not break that probation. You should be visiting with your bishop on a regular basis, so on one of your visits ask for clarification on those things you are confused about.