Prayers For The Haiti Earthquake Victims

Melissa569

If you turn on the news, the headlines are all over-- a powerful earthquake has rocked Haiti, causing devistation, and possibly up to 1000,000 deaths! Their palace was destroyed, and so were countless homes and buildings. The reporters say the wide-spread sound of cries are ringing out everywhere. There is also a tsumani warning in the area and many roads are destroyed, so it will be hard for help to come to the people.

I wanted to submit this thread so we can all offer prayers for the victims in the Haiti earthquake. Those, poor, poor people! The damage is going to be unimaginable, and they have so few resources to recover. The power of prayer can work miracles though, so I think that if we all pray together, we can help to minimize the damage.

I hope everyone else will please add their prayers and blessings as well, and if there are any sunday school class teachers or bishops reading this, please be sure to ask your church to pray for the victims this comming Sunday.

Prayer:

Dear heavenly father, we ask that you look after the victims in this catastrophe, and keep the survivors safe in your care. Let love enter their hearts and compel them to help each other as much as possible. Keep hope for help to arrive in their hearts, and allow the best of circumstances for aid from other nations to reach these people. Let there be widespread love around the world that will provide plenty of aid from many countries, and let the people of Haiti find ways and means to recover and rebuild in the future. We ask these things in your name, and in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Edited by Melissa569

I can guarantee that right now the Church is already in action to send relief there.

But yes very devastating. One of the poorest places on earth already so you know there will be much help needed.

Church response

SALT LAKE CITY | 13 Jan 2010 | We express our sympathy and prayers on behalf of the citizens of Haiti following the recent devastating earthquake. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is immediately shipping humanitarian relief including personal hygiene kits and supplies for newborns. Efforts are underway to determine further humanitarian response in coordination with government and disaster relief organizations. Donations for relief efforts can be made at LDS Philanthropies. All missionaries serving in the country are safe and we continue efforts to account for Church members in the area.

If you're interested in doing something relief-related, here is a post I just found on some efforts already organized: Mormon Mommy Wars: Help for Haiti

It's interesting to read a paragraph of the article from the Church:

Two planes, one departing from Denver as early as Thursday and another leaving from Miami later this week will each include over 80,000 pounds of food and emergency resources such as tents, tarps, water filtration bottles and medical supplies donated by the Church. Transportation is being provided by Airline Ambassadors and Food for the Poor will aid with distribution in Haiti.

80,000 lbs of supplies. That just boggles the mind to think that all of that can be put together in a matter of a couple of days. Let our critics talk all they want.

I'm proud to be a member of this Church and know that they act on a moments notice to assist others around the world. LDS or not.

Pam-- ditto! I couldn't be more proud of this church I was lucky eough to be baptized into. When I think of our missionaries who devote 2 years of their life, unpaid (in fact they spend their own money on their duties), and all the work they do each day, all the challenges and dangers they face-- I feel so proud. I feel even more proud when I hear about the donations, the aid efforts, not just to our own people but to many may others, and not jsut during times of distress, but any time-- again I am so proud. This church is so big, with amazing numbers, and therefore the power to reach most corners of the world with its goodness. Its so amazing to me! This church must be true, no false church could make it so far.

and wow, you mean you can donate actual supplies?? That's cool!

I remember a long time ago, there was a massive fire up in the coutnryside where we used to live. My mother and her friends tried to donate to the overworked firemen. They helped set up the portable showers, tents, cooking grills, and tables at the camp. Then they brought in some first aid supplies, eye drops for the firefighter's irritated eyes, water bottles, etc. The people taking donations said, "No we don't take supplies, we take money".

So my mom just snuck the supplies up to the camp herself (my uncle Phillip was a fire fighter, so we gave it to him to share with the guys).

Edited by Melissa569

I don't know so much about donating actual supplies. I think even with the Church, donations of money is what is needed. That way they can purchase the necessary medical supplies etc that are needed. So my recommendation is to donate via the website provided. JMHO Let the Church purchase the items they have been informed are needed the most.

But with that being said, donations of clothing to Deseret Industries makes it's way as well to many of these places in need.

I look at it this way. The Church has set up a website for donations that apply to people from around the globe. So that members all around can help.

Let's use one example: The Church has been informed that there is a need for 20,000 personal hygiene kits. (this is just an example keep in mind). Okay so think of the logistics in this. Either we donate the money so the Church can purchase from a manufacturer (hopefully getting a deal in the bargain) ones that are already made up and get them to the people in need rather quickly.

What would be faster? Doing it this way..or spending the little time they have having to post what items are needed in a personal hygiene kit..having people having to go purchase these, gathering these from around the globe and then getting them to Haiti. Putting the kits together and then shipping. What takes more time?

It just makes more sense to me since this is not local to the majority of us to donate money.

What if they said they needed 20,000 tents? So you get donations of 40,000 tents from around the world. So now you have twice the amount needed when those same resources for the excess could have been used for other items of necessity and need.

I remember several years ago there was some severe flooding in the South -- Mississippi or Louisiana? -- and there was a newspaper article that ran about the relief efforts. The author commented that there were two big groups that had really contributed a lot and seemed really organized and got there right away: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the Mormons.

More from the LDS Newsroom: Church Sends Additional Aid to Haiti Earthquake Victims - LDS Newsroom

It also amazes me that our critics would call us a cult and that we stay within ourselves. Yet when something like this happens, we are one of first to respond. Do we help just those that are LDS? Nope..the aid goes to everyone in that area that needs help.

It also amazes me that our critics would call us a cult and that we stay within ourselves. Yet when something like this happens, we are one of first to respond. Do we help just those that are LDS? Nope..the aid goes to everyone in that area that needs help.

You're right Pam! And it really gets me when you won't here a word about this on the news because God forbid we should ever be put in a good light but noooooo, if some Mormons put out a provocative calendar or some goofball FLDS gets put on the news for sleeping with 14 year old girls, then all of the sudden we're put in a derogatory and disrespectful position that we are not allowed to really respond to because this helps the newsmakers reinforce their already negative perception of Mormons and therefore, they don't want to hear anything to the contrary. Welcome to the 21st century lamestream media.

Edited by Carl62

Hi everyone.

I have been training in disaster relief from a emergency communication perspective as a part of FEMA sponsored ARES training.

From a logistics point of view, what these people need is heavy equipment along side USAR trained teams to extract the living. Almost every major facility in Porta-prince has been leveled according to this article The Bellingham Herald / News Update / Bodies piled on streets after powerful Haiti quake

UN, Canada, and the United state are currently sending this and medical teams to the most affected areas of Haiti. What is best is donation as stated above. That will help to pay for much needed medical supplies, food and water and emergency portable shelters.

Now, I have to be really critical on the Hatian goverment and the building contractors for allowing these substandard building to be built with NO rebar or reinforced steel. I have seen countless buildings in these images and almost no rebar has been shown in the slabs of concrete or cinder blocks. Concrete by nature is strong, but also very brittle. A few months ago, I saw a demonstration where a 8x4 slab of concrete was suspended on its ends by two 4x8 slabs of concrete. A bowling ball was dropped from a hight of 3-4 feet. Apon impact with this horizontal slab of concrete, the concrete fractured and dropped instantly onto the ground. Yes, sounds very shocking but true. Had these buildings been built with concrete reinforced rebar, there would not be nearly as many fatalities as we see in the daily news cast.

To prevent disasters like this from happeneing to this severity, building codes need to be required so there would not be so many fatalities as a result of quakes of this magnatude.

Edited by bcguy

I'm in total agreement with you bcguy about building codes. But when you are the poorest nation in the world..well you know the standards of building will not be the same..no matter what the danger is.

Since the Church is usually the first to arrive with help when disaster strikes anywhere in the world, and since they don't brag about it and publicize it, does anyone know how, what the churches assistance is so far?

isn't it interesting that the person who has been known his whole life for his charity and love for those suffering is the Prophet?

There are several posts in this thread already with links to the Church website (where they do publish information about disaster relief): http://www.lds.net/forums/general-discussion/29397-prayers-haiti-earthquake-victims.html

Additionally, though I hadn't posted it there yet, this article was posted in the LDS Newsroom this evening: Church Sending Team of Doctors to Assist in Haiti - LDS Newsroom