LDS or not?

mary1

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.I am a baptized member of the LDS church for many years.Last year after being a member of a new ward for 2 years I drifted away and became inactive.I felt like I didn't fit in to the new ward and failed to make any friendships and at times felt slighted.During this time period I was being fellowshipped by baptists and in timed joined their church through baptism.I didnt really understand their beliefs .There was no instruction in faith,they simply asked me if I accepted jesus as my savior and of course I do and was baptised at their church.They never even asked what church I came from and I didnt discuss it with them.

Iam now regretting my decision to leave the LDS Church.The baptist church folks are wonderful people they have fellowship down to an art but they lack the fullness if the gospel.I know this may sound crazy but I never stopped believing in the gospel when I joined the baptist church I just wanted to feel wanted. I know the LDS church is true.I want to come back I just dont know if Iam still a member after joining the baptist church.

Does anyone know?Sorry for the long lenghth of this post.

Mary

Absolutely you are still a member of the LDS church. Being baptized as a Baptist in no way took away your baptism into the LDS church.

So come back..we welcome you with open arms.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.I am a baptized member of the LDS church for many years.Last year after being a member of a new ward for 2 years I drifted away and became inactive.I felt like I didn't fit in to the new ward and failed to make any friendships and at times felt slighted.During this time period I was being fellowshipped by baptists and in timed joined their church through baptism.I didnt really understand their beliefs .There was no instruction in faith,they simply asked me if I accepted jesus as my savior and of course I do and was baptised at their church.They never even asked what church I came from and I didnt discuss it with them.

Iam now regretting my decision to leave the LDS Church.The baptist church folks are wonderful people they have fellowship down to an art but they lack the fullness if the gospel.I know this may sound crazy but I never stopped believing in the gospel when I joined the baptist church I just wanted to feel wanted. I know the LDS church is true.I want to come back I just dont know if Iam still a member after joining the baptist church.

Mary

Come home; the lord welcomes you with loving embrace;:)

Yep, agree with everyone else! You were just visiting for a while and are now ready to come home! Your experience with them should only add to your testimony of the True Church! They didn't even consider you were already a Christian! If so they would have asked you where you were baptized! I used to be Baptist so I definitely know they are good people, just lacking the fullness of the Gospel!

I know the LDS church is true.I want to come back I just dont know if Iam still a member after joining the baptist church.

Mary

It's pretty simple really. The only thing that would have invalidated your baptism and membership would be:

1.) Excommunication. This would only have been for extremely bad sin, and you'd have received notification. This is almost certainly not true in your case. Excommunicated members have to be re-baptized. Excommunication is usually reserved for murder, unrepentant adulterers, child molesters, and other such extremely bad sins. Excommunication is used EXTREMELY sparingly.

2.) You personally having sent a letter to your Bishop requesting that your name be removed. The Church would have complied and removed you from the records of the Church, but would have retained a record that you were once a member. The re-reinstatement process for that is quite simple, and doesn't require re-baptism.

From what you've described, neither of those things happened. You can return to full activity in the Church at any time. You're still a member in good standing, though you may need to be actively attending for awhile before you're going to get a Temple Recommend.

Thanks everyone .Iam trying to work up the courage to go back to church tommorow.I was afraid I might have done something irreversible.Its scary but I want to go back so bad. I plan on making an appointment with my bishop as well.Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with most, you are just as welcome as ever to come back. To be honest I have seen your story many times over. My suggestion to you is to really cling to your faith. I know that sometimes members in the church have an issue with fellowshiping and making new members or seekers feel comfortable. However, the church is true and the people within the church are second to none in this flawed society. Every week I look around and feel so grateful to be associated with so many good people, even if they are less friendly sometimes. Your father in heaven loves you and so do all the people in the church.

Somebody said in another thread that if you are baptized into another church it is a reason to be excommunicated.

So if you if you join/are baptized into another church you are NOT excommunicated?

excerpt from

2006 Church Handbook of instructions.

Apostasy : refers to members who "repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders" and also includes those who repeatedly present information as church doctrine that is not church doctrine and those who repeatedly follow the teachings of apostate sects or those who formally join another church. Merely failing to attend church meetings does not qualify as apostasy.[5]

It is a reason to hold a disciplinary counsel It is considered Apostasy (so i think it's a mandatory counsel). So yes it is a reason to be excommunicated, not a mandatory excommunication but a reason for excommunication

While it's in the same sentence as providing deliberate public opposition to the Church and it's leadings..following apostate sects..I'm not sure if it qualifies entirely.

But not for us to decide. As some have mentioned and as she has mentioned herself..meet with the Bishop and let him know what's been going on. He is the one who has to make any kind of decision. But honestly, many have gone inactive and joined other churches only to come back.

Apostasy : refers to members who "repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders" and also includes those who repeatedly present information as church doctrine that is not church doctrine and those who repeatedly follow the teachings of apostate sects or those who formally join another church. Merely failing to attend church meetings does not qualify as apostasy.[5]

While being baptized into another Church might be in the handbook as grounds for Excommunication, it is almost never done. The exceptions have already been noted: Joining apostate sects or religious organizations that are specifically focused on attacking the LDS Church. Ex-Mormons for Jesus (aka Saints Alive in Christ) would be an example.

And like I said, excommunication is VERY sparingly used across the board. The Church is very cautious about formally removing anyone who is in the Original Poster's situation: Wandered away for whatever reason and might very well return home to us. The general approach is to leave the light on and the door open.

i know its scarey, but dont worry the building wont fall down on all your brothers and sisters . big smile here. Its the best thing to do what u have to do and talking with the bishop is the way to go. you will be welcomed back. and excepted. and loved. Remember the Gospel is true. But we the people run it and we are imperfect. YOU wil also be making Heavenly Father and Jesus very very happy. They want you and need you.

I also was inacive for a few years. I didn't join another church, I just stopped going to the LDS church..stopped reading the scriptures...stopped praying...and promptly began the task of messing up my life completely.

I never did anything horrible, I never openly rebelled against the church, nor did I commit any crimes. What I did do is cause myself some problems I'm still sorting out today.

The point is that even at that point, when I finally came to my senses, I realised the Lord was more than ready to welcome me back. Life has bee much much better since then, and I am very happy I decided to come back to what I always knew was right.

You see, the Lord loves us no matter what we do. Really. Even after what he did for us in the garden and on the cross, he is still willing to let us walk away from him should we decide to.

I sensed that he was saying to me "Okay, you want to go it alone? I'll let you. I don't want you to, but please remember that I'll still be here when you want to come back."

Now that you want to come back don't ever doubt how much the Lord loves you and wants you to be as happy as you can be.

Oh, and we are all praying for you. Follow the Spirit.

Thanks everyone .Iam trying to work up the courage to go back to church tommorow.I was afraid I might have done something irreversible.Its scary but I want to go back so bad. I plan on making an appointment with my bishop as well.Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how happy it makes me anytime I see someone coming back who has been away for awhile. It's such a wonderful thing! Your Heavenly Father wants you to go. The devil will try to work on your insecurities and fears -- and it's important to realize that he is the source of them.

I'm certainly excited for you.

Have you committed multiple murders?

If not, then you have not done anything irreversible.

:)

While being baptized into another Church might be in the handbook as grounds for Excommunication, it is almost never done. The exceptions have already been noted: Joining apostate sects or religious organizations that are specifically focused on attacking the LDS Church. Ex-Mormons for Jesus (aka Saints Alive in Christ) would be an example.

And like I said, excommunication is VERY sparingly used across the board. The Church is very cautious about formally removing anyone who is in the Original Poster's situation: Wandered away for whatever reason and might very well return home to us. The general approach is to leave the light on and the door open.

Just to point out i'm not saying it is mandatory, and in this case, while it is up to the Bishop, i doubt anything will come of it. But on another thread i said joining another church is reason to be exed, desertgov asked about it, so i clarified.