LDS or not?

mary1

2.) You personally having sent a letter to your Bishop requesting that your name be removed. The Church would have complied and removed you from the records of the Church, but would have retained a record that you were once a member. The re-reinstatement process for that is quite simple, and doesn't require re-baptism.

From personal experience I can tell you that it does, and an interviewwith the Bishop and Stake President was necessary before that baptism was allowed to take place.

I agree Willow. I do believe that if you have asked to have your name removed, re-baptism is required. I could be wrong but that is what my understanding has been all these years. When it says stricken from the records of the Church, I believe it means that literally.

I understand the feeling of being in a new ward and feeling alone. Here's how I found a way to deal with it. I spent several years in the Air Force and we moved around a lot. My work schedule often made it difficult to attend church meetings regularly, so it was hard for people to get to know me.

The best thing I found to do was to go to the bishop and tell him my situation and ask if I could have a church calling that allowed me to do things that I might be able to do on my own schedule. In one ward, I was a Webelos scout leader. In another, I was an assistant membership clerk. Both of those callings allowed me to be active, to serve, and feel like I was helping the Church and I could do those things on other days than Sundays.

The best way to feel involved is to get involved. Volunteer. Take assignments. Look for opportunities to help. Another thing is, if you're feeling lonely, more than likely someone else is feeling that way also. When you go into the Church, look around and see if there is someone sitting all by himself or herself. Go up and introduce yourself. Learn his or her name. Get to know them. Then you won't feel lonely and they won't either.

The Lord Jesus was all about serving others and reaching beyond yourself to bless others. Don't wait for someone to ask. Jump in and take ownership of your new ward and make others feel welcome. You'll find very shortly that your loneliness disappears.

Well I didn't go to church today.I think I let my fears get the best of me. With excommunication a possibility I don't really know where I stand as far as sacrement etc... I want to talk to the Bishop first. I did make an appointment today to talk with the Bishop.I will meet with him wednesday night.Could you all remember me in prayers. Iam very nervous but I feel in my heart it is definitely the right thing to do.

Mary

Mary I'm very happy that you at least made an appointment to go see and speak with the Bishop. That is a great step that you made.

I'm just sorry that some comments (though I'm sure well meant) can sometimes be more damaging than helpful.

Please don't let comments stop you from doing what you feel to be right.

Good on you for taking the brave and right move to speak to your Bishop.:)

Mary please remember you are loved so very much. Our Saviour atoned for all our sins and those who sin against us. It is not up to any of us to say whether you have done the wrong or wight thing by joining with a lovely group of people who also love the Lord. :)

Sometimes we are like lost sheep wandering and searching for something we are needing in our hearts that can only come from fellowship with our Saviour. He's the only one who can through the Holy Ghost provide that comfort, that peace that love we so deperately need to sustain us. We can receive it in certain degrees from our fellow man but ultimately we need to look to Him.

Opinions will vary remarkeably and this will only lead to a feeling of confusion and that is where Satan really wants us to remain - he is after all the author of confusion. Take what you want from our comments that you feel is right and leave the rest. Please know ultimately, it is really between you and the Lord with His representative - your Bishop. Not anyone else - no-one!

I 'see' you have the strength to come back and I am so pleased for you. :cheerleader:

Here's a scripture for you

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Posted Image He loves you so much

I love this article about the the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin and the prodigal son.

As we seek to know and to understand those we should invite back into the mainstream of the Church, we might consider the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son. (See Luke 15.)

The lost sheep spoken of by the Savior could represent the member of the fold who strays from the path, following rather passively the enticements of the world. He may not do so with planned or malicious intent; he simply follows the crowd and melds into the group that shows him the greater interest. Usually, a lost sheep will respond to overtures of genuine love, concern, and proper fellowship.

Perhaps the Savior used the parable of the lost coin to demonstrate that a valuable soul, like a piece of silver, may be lost through neglect. At times, leaders and teachers become neglectful, even offensive, and allow others to slip away. If this happens, and it can happen very easily, the responsible party should light the candle, sweep the floor, and do all within his power to recover the coin before it becomes encrusted with dust and is lost forever.

The prodigal son may represent those who openly rebel against heaven and home. The prodigal is often one who feels he might know more than his elders, who wants to try his own wings in uncertain areas, or who stumbles and falls while walking the slippery path of youth. Those close by may not understand the exact reason for the rebellion. However, the prodigal’s soul is of great worth and he should never be abandoned. Prayers, pleadings, persistent love, and the welcome mat at the door often win him back. (See James E. Talmage, Jesus the Christ, 3d. ed., Salt Lake City, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1916, pp. 454–61.)

We must understand and seek out the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son. Whatever the reason for their loss or estrangement, their souls are of infinite worth; they are vital members of the body of Christ.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Nurturing the Less Active

Our Prophet issued this call to all who are lost sheep, lost coins or prodigal sons to COME BACK Listen to the words of the Prophet and please come back

"Over the years we have issued appeals to the less active, the offended, the critical, the transgressor—to come back. “Come back and feast at the table of the Lord, and taste again the sweet and satisfying fruits of fellowship with the Saints"

In the private sanctuary of one’s own conscience lies that spirit, that determination to cast off the old person and to measure up to the stature of true potential. In this spirit, we again issue that heartfelt invitation: Come back. We reach out to you in the pure love of Christ and express our desire to assist you and to welcome you into full fellowship.

To those who are wounded in spirit or who are struggling and fearful, we say, Let us lift you and cheer you and calm your fears. Take literally the Lord’s invitation, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Looking Back and Moving Forward

I didn't know you could volunteer to be called. I thought everything to do with callings was up to the bishop. Intriguing.

If you want to make your bishop's day, just walk in the door and say, "Bishop, I don't feel like I'm doing enough to serve. How can I help?"

Having sat in bishopric and branch presidency meetings continuously for the last 9 years, I can tell you that the bishopric has jobs that need doing and callings that need filling. They follow the admonitions to "search, ponder, and pray" to get inspiration. That inspiration does come, but the process is much easier when you have a pool of candidates who are eager and willing to serve.

I think you maybe right spamlds.When I went to the baptist church and I mentioned I liked kids,the next week I was handed a name tag and was made an awana leader(very similar to primary) for a year. I loved it! I will certainly tell the Bishop when he feels Iam ready I would really like to serve.Yes,I work but I know there are still things I can do! Thanks for your post!

Apostasy : refers to members who "repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders" and also includes those who repeatedly present information as church doctrine that is not church doctrine and those who repeatedly follow the teachings of apostate sects or those who formally join another church. Merely failing to attend church meetings does not qualify as apostasy.[5]

The Baptists will tell you that baptism does not make you a Christian (or even a Baptist). It is merely a public demonstration of your faith. Simply being baptised in a Baptist church does not make you a member of that church; to formally "join" you would need to be interviewed by the pastor and elders, and then elected in by the existing members. (This again wouldn't necessarily make you a Christian, but it would allow you to vote in Church meetings etc.) So you can't really be accused of "formally joining another church", though I agree it's possible that many LDS members who don't understand Baptist beliefs will assume otherwise. Edited by Jamie123

Well I didn't go to church today.I think I let my fears get the best of me. With excommunication a possibility I don't really know where I stand as far as sacrement etc... I want to talk to the Bishop first. I did make an appointment today to talk with the Bishop.I will meet with him wednesday night.Could you all remember me in prayers. Iam very nervous but I feel in my heart it is definitely the right thing to do.

Mary

Mary i sincerely apologizes if i "scared you off" and just meant to prove a point to desertgov.

Every situation is different and will be handled differently be different Bishops.

We have a tendency to build these things up in our minds worse then they actually are.

I went back after years of premarital sex, and alcohol use. I went in all nervous laid it all out on the table with a choppy stutter in my voice and "explanations" in the back of my head and the Bishop just looked at me and said..

Welcome back.

THe adversary doesn't want you to return to the Church. ANything that keeps you from going is from him. If you don't go he wins.

As far as being baptized, you said yourself you were doing it for friendship. YOu never denounced your testimony. Everybody does dumb things. People aren't excommunicated for being dumb.

Excommunication could possibly come if you publicly denounced the church, went in full knowledge to the pastor and told him you made a gross error by joining the Church of jesus Christ. Then asked the Church to remove you from the records.

And even then, if that was the case, t would be up to the Bishop to pray and ask for revelation as to how to handle this scenario.

All in all, go back to Church. Talk to your Bishop. He is the representative of Christ. Listen to what he says,

Well I talked with my Bishop tonight about coming back.It was fantastic!!!!!!!!! I'am on a spiritual high right now. I went in and basically just spilled everything out along with my request to return.I was so afraid of what he was going to say. Do you know what he said? Welcome home,we are so glad to have you back!. We talked for a while about things and it just felt so good to be back. We are going to meet again in 2 weeks so we can discuss what I need to do to get my life back in order to go to the Temple. Iam just so happy right now.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and support.I would definitely encourage anyone who is debating going back to just do it! It feels so good. Iam looking foward to Sunday. To be able to return to full activity again was more than I could have hoped for.

Thanks Again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary

Well I talked with my Bishop tonight about coming back.It was fantastic!!!!!!!!! I'am on a spiritual high right now. I went in and basically just spilled everything out along with my request to return.I was so afraid of what he was going to say. Do you know what he said? Welcome home,we are so glad to have you back!. We talked for a while about things and it just felt so good to be back. We are going to meet again in 2 weeks so we can discuss what I need to do to get my life back in order to go to the Temple. Iam just so happy right now.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and support.I would definitely encourage anyone who is debating going back to just do it! It feels so good. Iam looking foward to Sunday. To be able to return to full activity again was more than I could have hoped for.

Thanks Again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary

Good on you Mary you have done well - thank you for sharing the good news with us.

Posted Image

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.I am a baptized member of the LDS church for many years.Last year after being a member of a new ward for 2 years I drifted away and became inactive.I felt like I didn't fit in to the new ward and failed to make any friendships and at times felt slighted.During this time period I was being fellowshipped by baptists and in timed joined their church through baptism.I didnt really understand their beliefs .There was no instruction in faith,they simply asked me if I accepted jesus as my savior and of course I do and was baptised at their church.They never even asked what church I came from and I didnt discuss it with them.

Iam now regretting my decision to leave the LDS Church.The baptist church folks are wonderful people they have fellowship down to an art but they lack the fullness if the gospel.I know this may sound crazy but I never stopped believing in the gospel when I joined the baptist church I just wanted to feel wanted. I know the LDS church is true.I want to come back I just dont know if Iam still a member after joining the baptist church.

Does anyone know?Sorry for the long lenghth of this post.

Mary

Glad to hear that your making a comeback :)

And now you have experience of both walking in the desert and in the promised land.

I know t can be hard sometimes- I know i'm not a very social person myself, both in being a new member to a ward or being in an old one.

Until a person's name is removed from the church records, that individual is considered a member of the LDS church, and about the only way that happens is by request of the individual, or partaking in rather serious sin and is not repentant, or decides to fight against the church.

Edited by Blackmarch