19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

To what extent are we commanded to "Honour thy father and thy mother"? And to what extent do we honour them? What does "honour" entail? Is cultural upbringing a factor in how one perceives and shows honour?

In some cultures, honouring thy father and thy mother, might be accepting their wisdom in arranging your marriage. In other cultures, honouring thy father and thy mother, might be taking responsibility as their keeper and caring for them regardless of how sickly they become or how much a burden they are in their old age. And yet, there are cultures with a mindset of "When I'm eighteen you can't make me or stop me!" and honour flies out the window.

These are just a few thoughts I've had on this subject throughout the day. What may be considered honouring parents in one country, region or group, is likely to vastly differ from honouring parents in another country, region or group. Even within LDS families, I would think that people's cultural backgrounds play a big role in how children are raised to "honour thy father and thy mother".

Feel free to share your thoughts on these questions.

To what extent are we commanded to "Honour thy father and thy mother"? And to what extent do we honour them? What does "honour" entail? Is cultural upbringing a factor in how one perceives and shows honour?

In some cultures, honouring thy father and thy mother, might be accepting their wisdom in arranging your marriage. In other cultures, honouring thy father and thy mother, might be taking responsibility as their keeper and caring for them regardless of how sickly they become or how much a burden they are in their old age. And yet, there are cultures with a mindset of "When I'm eighteen you can't make me or stop me!" and honour flies out the window.

These are just a few thoughts I've had on this subject throughout the day. What may be considered honouring parents in one country, region or group, is likely to vastly differ from honouring parents in another country, region or group. Even within LDS families, I would think that people's cultural backgrounds play a big role in how children are raised to "honour thy father and thy mother".

I like to think it would be acting in a way that would cause God to bless them for raising you.

• 4 weeks later...

What does "honour" entail?

I've been thinking about it latlely. I wonder if it doesn't mean that we should try to uphold their name(?) Perhaps, it means that we give them the benefit of the doubt and do our best to keep our relationships with them uplifting. Of course, I don't believe we have to do whatever they say.

Good question, Bini!

Obviously, 'Obey thy father and thy mother' is not a commandment, but rather 'Honour thy father and thy mother'. If it were not so, those with parents who oppose the church or who are less than honourable themselves would cause those people to drift further from God.

To honour your father and your mother requires that you respect them, that you consider their words and love them. You are not bound to do what they command.

It's a tough question, one that takes a lot of courage to ask. :) Can I ask what brought it up?

Good afternoon Bini. It is a pleasure to meet you! I hope this day has been a wonderful day for you. :)

My thinking is along the same line as the sentiments that Blackmarch expressed. I think that the greatest honor one can do for their parents is to live the gospel of Jesus Christ as completely as possible. I think this is true even when the parents may loathe how you live and/or your beliefs. One day they will know how much honor you brought to them and your family by chosing to follow Jesus Christ.

Of course my response entails a broad spectrum of specific actions, but I think when one is truly living the Gospel they, amongst other things, will be persons who show respect, kindness, humility, meekness, and charity towards their parents. I am certain, however, that honoring one's parents never entails making choices that are contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, I think if we accept that honoring one's parents is to live the Gospel as completely as we can, then perhaps cultural considerations aren't as important any more.

Regards,

Finrock

To honour your father and your mother requires that you respect them, that you consider their words and love them. You are not bound to do what they command.

My wife's parents shelter, hide, and protect child molesters, even going to the lengths of lying to lawyers in court rooms to keep molesters from getting in deeper trouble.

Funky's statement is pretty good. We've distanced ourselves from them and the dangers they bring with them, but continue to honor them. My wife respects that her parents are inheritors of a divine birthright, are fellow sons and daughters of God. She's greatly pained that her parents do what they do. She loves them with the closest approximation of genuine Christlike love I've ever seen - yearning for the day when they can stand spotless before God - pained with the knowledge that that day might be a long way off.

I think honor looks something like that.

LM