DHOFAR.. Is it Nephi's Bountiful?

Alshaikh

Hello everybody,

First of all, I want to introduce myself, my name is Abdullah Alshaikh from Dhofar the southern region of Oman in Middle East. I have read about the book of mormon and I found out that there is a belief that Dhofar where I am from is the holy Bountiful where Nephi built his ship that travelled to the new world. I have some questions I would like the members to answer and give opinions:

1. Do you believe that Dhofar is the old Bountiful?

2. If yes, how should the LDS committee consider Dhofar? E.g a holy place..

3. Will you think of visiting Dhofar as a pilgrimage?

I may ask further questions depending on the members responds.

1. Seems reasonable. I don't have any faith invested into that supposition though.

2. Probably a historical site of interest.

3. Well, for me I see two questions there.

-- A. Would I ever consider visiting Dhofar

-- B. Would it be a pilgrimage.

A. Unless some amazingly spectacular deal came up probably not.

B. I wouldn't consider it a pilgrimage. Of course I may just have some weird connotations of the word. The Sacred Grove (Where God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith in his First Vision) is a sacred place but I probably wouldn't consider a journey there a pilgrimage, more like a Church History tour. Likewise if I ever journeyed to Jerusalem I'd probably not consider it a pilgrimage but a historical trip.

Edited by Dravin

I'm in agreement with Dravin.

1. I'm not familiar enough to know if the same place but could be.

2. To me it would be more of an historical place verses holy place.

3. I don't do or specifically believe in pilgrimages...but I don't mind visitng sites of history significance if I'm in the area.

I have read up on that area. It is the only spot on the continent of arabia with vegetation. It does fit the desciption of a bountiful place and could be the location. Other places in the world also could be possible also. If you want to believe that is the location there is nothing wrong with it. There is no definate proof is all.

Are you thinking of developing the area with LDS tourists in mind? Certainly seems like that.

Edit to add:

You aren't Omar Bin Ahmad Abdullah Mahfoud Al Shaikh with the Dhofar International Development and Investment Holding Company, are you?

Edited by volgadon

I have read up on that area. It is the only spot on the continent of arabia with vegetation. It does fit the desciption of a bountiful place and could be the location. Other places in the world also could be possible also. If you want to believe that is the location there is nothing wrong with it. There is no definate proof is all.

Can I know if there is other places with these specifications?

Let me add this to my thoughts I mentioned earlier. If that were the same place and I was in that area...I think it would be amazing to visit a place that Nephi once stood and worked.

Are you thinking of developing the area with LDS tourists in mind? Certainly seems like that.

Edit to add:

You aren't Omar Bin Ahmad Abdullah Mahfoud Al Shaikh with the Dhofar International Development and Investment Holding Company, are you?

No this isnt the plan, but if you are interested we can work together.. kidding :lol:

for the other question, I'll send u a private msg

Mormons don't really do pilgrimages. There was a time when temples were few, and families would make a special trip to visit and take out sacred covenants, but the church no longer builds Zion as a specific location, but as any place the saints are to visit. There are some places where we know special events in history occur, like the Hill Comorah, or Bethlehem, but even then, we may visit them, but it is not the same as a pilgrimage and it is not a requirement of the faith.

Mormons don't really do pilgrimages. There was a time when temples were few, and families would make a special trip to visit and take out sacred covenants, but the church no longer builds Zion as a specific location, but as any place the saints are to visit. There are some places where we know special events in history occur, like the Hill Comorah, or Bethlehem, but even then, we may visit them, but it is not the same as a pilgrimage and it is not a requirement of the faith.

Thanks for the information

Hello everybody,

First of all, I want to introduce myself, my name is Abdullah Alshaikh from Dhofar the southern region of Oman in Middle East. I have read about the book of mormon and I found out that there is a belief that Dhofar where I am from is the holy Bountiful where Nephi built his ship that travelled to the new world. I have some questions I would like the members to answer and give opinions:

I believe that the Book of Mormon Bountiful on the Arabian coast was indeed in Dhofar. In particular I am interested in the place called Taqah/Kohor Rori. I believe Kohor Rori was a designation given by the ancient Greeks. I hope to visit as a personal pilgrimage. Have you been there?

The Traveler

I believe that the Book of Mormon Bountiful on the Arabian coast was indeed in Dhofar. In particular I am interested in the place called Taqah/Kohor Rori. I believe Kohor Rori was a designation given by the ancient Greeks. I hope to visit as a personal pilgrimage. Have you been there?

The Traveler

Dhofar is the general name of the region, (Kohor Rori, Taqah, Salalah etc..) are towns and cities. Actually I am from Dhofar and and I have visited most of the historical places, unfortunately there isnt much studied about the ancient civilizations lived in the area.

Hello everybody,

I don't know if it is.. however there are a lot of features that match the description as given in the Book of Mormon, enough to make it a decent candidate.

I wouldn't know. Perhaps one day when the situation permits, bnuild a temple there.

I would love to visit there, and reflect upon many things, both spiritual and mortal.

I don't know if it would count as a piligrimmage.. at least in the same sense as jews and muslims pilgrimmage to their holy sites. But in some ways it would be similar.

Great :)

Dhofar is the general name of the region, (Kohor Rori, Taqah, Salalah etc..) are towns and cities. Actually I am from Dhofar and and I have visited most of the historical places, unfortunately there isnt much studied about the ancient civilizations lived in the area.

Any information you have about the area would be most helpful. I do not know anyone from that area. My Islamic friends are from other areas. I understand that the ancient stories of Sinbad the saylor come from this area and that in ancient times there was much trade with India.

I also understand that this is the only area where wild honey is sold.

Can you tell us how you came to know about the Book of Mormon history and our interest in Dhofar? What is your religious background?

Thank you

The Traveler