Do you get less flat tires if you are righteous?

PeterRiley

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just say this: if you have paid attention to certain speakers in General Conference during the past 30 years, you may have heard things over the pulpit that, while not coming right out and saying so, surely make the in-tune person wonder if the speaker has not had a face-to-face conversation with Christ.

The reason I was questioning you was that this statement sounds as if you think some GA's think they are on God's errand when they may not be.

I wasnt referring to GA's who thought they walked and talked with God everyday, I was referring to some "lay people" who think that most GA's do this. Please dont read into my comment too much, I dont know either way, I believe it is quite possible. Elder McConkie's last testimony for example.

JD, If I'm reading PeterRiley's comments the way he intends them, I'm actually with him on this issue. While I do believe that the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve (if not all, then most of them) do have very close interactions with God, I don't believe that they literally walk and talk with Him on a daily or even weekly basis. I also don't believe that most other General Authorities (Seventies, etc.) have probably ever had face-to-face contact with God. It doesn't mean though, that they aren't in tune with the Spirit and delivering the messages that He would have us hear from them.

I currently serve as the clerk in my ward. It isn't uncommon for me to wake up on Sunday mornings and begin preparing for meetings at around 7:00 AM. I have my first meeting at 9:00 AM. I get home from church at 5:00 PM, and then finish wrapping up my reports around 8:00 PM. I get absolutely nothing out of my calling but stress and frustration. But my talents and the work that I do make it possible for the leaders in my ward to focus their efforts on the members. I feel absolutely no reward or benefit for my service, and can only have faith that what I do is helping to enrich the lives of others.

You do more work than I do as a Ward Clerk. I usually show up at around 07:30 on Sundays and leave by 15:30. I was also feeling frustrated by the work but I asked God that I might find joy in serving in my calling. He gives me joy as I do His work.

Do you get less flat tires if you are righteous? .

Yes and you find lost keys faster also

The Supreme Ruler in the Universe has nothing better to do with his time than to preform miracles like preventing flats and finding keys

Edited by mnn727

I realize this is a silly thread title, but I got to wondering if by following the commandments we are in a better position to receive blessings other than the three most talked about blessings: personal revelation, the feeling of the Holy Ghost, and being financially rewarded for paying tithes and offerings.

It goes without saying that there are natural benefits to keeping the commandments, like better health if one keeps the Word of Wisdom, but does the Lord grant blessings other than the three mentioned above? For example, say for example one day I say my prayers, read my scriptures, think pure thoughts, etc. Will I be less likely to get a flat tire on this day than on a day that I am being unrighteous? I realize that following the gospel gives one the Spirit, which gives one the strength to pass through trials whether it be a flat tire or experiencing the passing on of a loved one. And it seems that faithful active members experience the same amount of trials than non-members do. But does anyone think that there are good and bad things that naturally occur to someone that might be seemingly unrelated to the commandments he/she keeps or breaks?

The reason why I ask is that I want more of an incentive to follow the Lord, and if I hear other's examples and opinions, it might help with this. Thanks a lot.

generally it means you'll be travelling the road of nails for a long time (with the occasional break).... but with the promise not getting any flat tires after a certain point.

Altho it also means that one will be more likely to buy puncture resistant tires.