Church Invitation to Vancouver Temple Open House

rameumptom

I'm curious about the recent temple designs. The Edmonton Temple is only 10,700 sq. feet and there are 37 other temples with this same temple design. The Vancouver Temple is over 19,000 sq. feet and the Calgary Temple will be over 29,000 sq. feet and a two-storey.

Does anyone know how the LDS church decides on Temple design? I'm guessing location would be a factor but is there anything else?

M.

I'm scheduled to go on Thursday, April 15th, unless someone notifies Border Patrol or the Mounties, and I get detained. :-) BTW, someone here suggested that besides the official tour, I'd be able to take my time just looking around. Does that sound right?

Edited by prisonchaplain

i think they do a tour just for clergy and city officials and such. it's a special invite tour. i don't know what all they do or how it's different than the one the rest of us do. are you going to that one or can you contact someone to try to go? i think that would be cool. lol

the ones i've been to the regular tour you don't get to wander around. the tour does go slow so you will get to really look.

i think they do a tour just for clergy and city officials and such. it's a special invite tour. i don't know what all they do or how it's different than the one the rest of us do. are you going to that one or can you contact someone to try to go? i think that would be cool. lol

the ones i've been to the regular tour you don't get to wander around. the tour does go slow so you will get to really look.

I was invited to that, but it's today...I couldn't make it. So, I'll just go with the common folk. That suits me fine.

I'm scheduled to go on Thursday, April 15th, unless someone notifies Border Patrol or the Mounties, and I get detained. :-) BTW, someone here suggested that besides the official tour, I'd be able to take my time just looking around. Does that sound right?

Being as that is tax day,the IRS may be checking for tax dodgers, so make sure you have copies of your 1040 form and all supporting documents when you cross.

I'm curious about the recent temple designs. The Edmonton Temple is only 10,700 sq. feet and there are 37 other temples with this same temple design. The Vancouver Temple is over 19,000 sq. feet and the Calgary Temple will be over 29,000 sq. feet and a two-storey.

Does anyone know how the LDS church decides on Temple design? I'm guessing location would be a factor but is there anything else?

M.

Maureen,

President Hinckley announced the building of "smaller temples" back in the April 1998 General Conference. Since then, there haven't been any temples built that are on the scale of Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., San Diego, Los Angeles, or Cardston. Some are very small -- one story, hardly bigger than a stake center building, like the one I attend in Columbus, OH; others are big(ger) -- the baptistry in the basement level, the sealing and endowment rooms on the second floor, but still only two endowment rooms, like the Boston, MA temple.

The impetus behind smaller temples has been to bring the blessings to the people. The full article (which includes the initial announcement) can be read here, but I'd like to share just a few remarks from it:

Now, in conclusion I wish to make an announcement. As I have previously indicated, in recent months we have traveled far out among the membership of the Church. I have been with many who have very little of this world’s goods. But they have in their hearts a great burning faith concerning this latter-day work. They love the Church. They love the gospel. They love the Lord and want to do His will. They are paying their tithing, modest as it is. They make tremendous sacrifices to visit the temples. They travel for days at a time in cheap buses and on old boats. They save their money and do without to make it all possible.

They need nearby temples—small, beautiful, serviceable temples.

Accordingly, I take this opportunity to announce to the entire Church a program to construct some 30 smaller temples immediately. They will be in Europe, in Asia, in Australia and Fiji, in Mexico and Central and South America and Africa, as well as in the United States and Canada. They will have all the necessary facilities to provide the ordinances of the Lord’s house.

This will be a tremendous undertaking. Nothing even approaching it has ever been tried before. These will be in addition to the 17 buildings now going forward... In this program we are moving on a scale the like of which we have never seen before.

If temple ordinances are an essential part of the restored gospel, and I testify that they are, then we must provide the means by which they can be accomplished. All of our vast family history endeavor is directed to temple work. There is no other purpose for it. The temple ordinances become the crowning blessings the Church has to offer.

I can only add that when these 30 or 32 are built, there will be more yet to come.

Re: Vancouver Sun article

This is the least flattering article of all about the temple.

MormonTimes did a very good job at dissecting it. The article has added a few more pictures than it originally had. It originally only had the black and white ones, and the temple image was cropped. I actually had a bit of an email discussion with one of the editors regarding the images and some of the content. At least it's been improved slightly. It's no wonder the reader comments are so negative. The front page was nice however.

Edited by bytebear

More like the Salt Lake Tribune.

I'll take your word for it, I've not read the Salt Lake Tribune's online comments. I just remember reading when Sister Monson had her injury and the comments section was page after page of such drivel.

The Sl Trib is horrible! The only good part is Kirby. I kind've see him as a Lot, being the last good man in a terrible place lol.

About the Vancouver paper, I saw 'L Ron Hubbard' on the 'Filed under' field below the headline and decided I had better things to do than read the rest of the article :P

Edited by talisyn