My wife and the priesthood

interalia

Hello all it has been a while.

My wife is taking the missionary discussions for the first time since we met nearly 10 years ago. She actually seems interested in moving forward, but she has one hang up and it is a BIG on - in fact it is the same hang up I had (ok still have somewhat).

When we go to church together ANY time the priesthood is mentioned with regard to it being only male, she gets irritated. If she hears it enough, she leaves in a blind fury. We often have talks later where she lets out all of her emotion on it then calms down.

It's like this: if we started letting women be bishops, pretty soon they would want equal pay for it. Then they'd want FMLA for maternity leave. It would bankrupt the Church... and then where would we be? Out on the corner in the rain jostling with the Salvation Army for prime solicitation space; that's where.

Keeping women out of the priesthood may not be fair but at least it keeps us out of the rain.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Priesthood has been handed down to worthy men ever since Adam, and I've read, since even before that. The only thing that women have had that long is motherhood and marriage. And those don't have the requirement to be worthy before you perform their duties.

Well - the Bible is clear that there were, anciently, female prophets, deacons, teachers, pastors, and at least one apostle.

Well - the Bible is clear that there were, anciently, female prophets, deacons, teachers, pastors, and at least one apostle.

Yes, you are right, I am familiar with that. I had just about forgotten. The point is that I have heard practically no church acknowledge it. At least, I've heard more than one religion say Adam was the first given authority. In seperate studies, way back when, I read otherwise.

The Priesthood has been handed down to worthy men ever since Adam, and I've read, since even before that. The only thing that women have had that long is motherhood and marriage. And those don't have the requirement to be worthy before you perform their duties.

yes they do, worthiness is vital to Motherhood, and its something you start as a child. Chastity, keeping yourself healthy, cleanliness etc learning skills, all this begins long before you are married with a child. You stand a much a better position of guiding your children if you are educated, and set the example yourself right from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have felt the same as your wife. It was one of the big reasons why i went inactive for a long time. Because in sted of trying to understand it, i let myself just be angry with it because i focused to much on my stubborn opinion. Luckily that has changed. My oppenion is that being equalt doesn't mean doing the same amount of dishes and having the same chores. Being equals as different individuals, makes different solutions for each person. When you work the best together as man and woman, you each do what you can. Not that you couldn't be able to handle each others chores, but the lord much have given us the assignments that we have for a reason. Maybe because we are ready for that assignment, or because we need to learn something from it, or because it lies more in our nature.

Theese are just my thoughts about it, i will know the true answer one day. What is important is to have faith in the Lord and what trials and quests he gives us while we are here.

I hope it helped somehow.. :)