Changes to Unofficial Mormon Doctrines/Culture

One problem with the prohibition on R rated movies is that the rating system is very inconsistent. Many PG-13 movies now have things that you would expect to see in R rated movies. On the other hand, I recently watched the original Clash of the Titans from 1981, it was rated PG yet it had several scenes of nudity that I wouldn't expect to see now in a PG movie. Many rated R movies are well written and acted and are worth seeing. I think the point here is to follow the spirit of the law and only watch movies that you feel are appropriate.

The key sometimes is to educate yourself about the content of a movie before you see it. I know a couple who love comedies, and they would often go to the theater to see the latest comedy and end of being disappointed or walking out because of the crude content, but they didn't bother to do their homework before going. Funny thing is they've done this several times, I guess some people never learn.

I think you make an interesting point. Definately, many pg-13 films should be avoided as much as those with an R rating. And there are a couple of R rated movies that I think are not as problematic as others. However, I find that on the rare occasion that I make an exception to see an R rated movie, I regret it. I feel the disruption of the spirit even when it doesn't have crude content or nudity. I feel that it is good advice to avoid all R rated movies as has been suggested.

:)

Not so. For example:

Chocolate bar with Dark Chocolate (42 grams (1.48 ounces)) = 30mg

Brewed Coffee (8 ounces) = 60-120mg

Black Tea (8 ounces) = 45 mg

Green Tea (8 ounces) = 20mg

Coke (12 ounces) = 38mg

Caffeine Content of Coffee, Tea, Chocolate

M.

Hmm...you failed to account of using same ounces as a comparison model Maureen.

Let us look at your reference based on consumption rate of 8-ounces for caffeine content:

DARK CHOCOLATE: 162.2mg

COFFEE: 60-120mg

Now, which one has the highest content based on the same consumption rate? :P

Hmm...you failed to account of using same ounces as a comparison model Maureen.

Let us look at your reference based on consumption rate of 8-ounces for caffeine content:

DARK CHOCOLATE: 162.2mg

COFFEE: 60-120mg

Now, which one has the highest content based on the same consumption rate? :P

But you have failed to look at it realistically.

A regular chocolate bar (here in Canada anyway) is approx. 42grams which would equal 30mg caffeine - 162.2mg caffeine would be equivalent to 5.5 chocolate bars. One cup of coffee (8oz) equals 60-120mg of caffeine. The average coffee drinker consumes approx 4 cups per day (240-480mg of caffeine). I can't imagine a sane person wanting to eat 5.5 chocolate bars (162mg) or 16 chocolate bars (480mg) in one day. :P

M.

As for the derail,

"The congregation at a Lansing Stake Conference has not forgotten one encounter with Henry Moyle. 'Some of you say that Coca Cola is against the Word of Wisdom,' he stated. Then he took a glass and a bottle of the beverage from inside the pulpit, poured out a portion, drank it, and said, 'I hope you understand the message.'"

(Working the Divine Miracle: The Life of Apostle Henry D. Moyle, p. 173).

"I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, 'But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug.' With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with t he tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hot drinks ]."

(Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 202.)

"... with reference to the cola drinks that the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in the acquiring of the habit."

- -- Elder Joseph Anderson, Secretary to the First Presidency (1971)

"With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided"

(Priesthood Bulletin, Feb 1972).

At no time has cocoa or chocolate been included in the prohibitions of the Word of Wisdom, and at no time has the Church said that cocoa is as harmful as coffee. Those who make these claims do so on their own responsibility, and obviously without knowing the facts of the matter

(Elder Mark E. Peterson, Patterns for Living [bookcraft, 1962], pp. 235-37).

More derailing:

Rumor: Caffeine in soft drinks is addictive

Our Response: Caffeine is not addictive. Caffeine has had a long history in the food supply, consumed as long ago as 2700 B.C. Scientific evaluation of caffeine's physiological effects in light of the criteria for drug dependence clearly shows that caffeine is not similar to the use of drugs of abuse or dependence. It is true that some symptoms of withdrawal can be experienced by some people if caffeine consumption is stopped abruptly. When done gradually over a reasonable time period, most people do not even experience these symptoms. More importantly, the amount of caffeine in typical soft drinks is minimal. The amount in most cola beverages is about 1/3 of the caffeine in same amount of coffee and 1/2 of the amount found in tea.

- -=-=-=-=-=-

Have college students become addicted to caffeine? Herbert Muncie, professor and chair of the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Maryland, said it is not possible to become addicted to caffeine.

For a substance to truly be addictive, you have to develop a tolerance for the pleasurable aspects of it, Muncie said.

“Technically, addiction refers to physical addiction,” said Steven Lux, health educator at University Health Service.

An addictive substance is something your body needs in order to feel normal , Lux said.

“Caffeine, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring stimulant,” he added.

Caffeine is a neuro-stimulant, Muncie said. The more often you use it, the less effective it becomes. However, taking larger doses will not increase the effect on your body. In that sense, it is not addictive, he said.

“It can become something people become dependent on,” Lux said.

Caffeine is not physically harmful, Muncie said.

“There’s no other biological neuro-stimulator that’s as safe as caffeine,” Muncie said.

However, there are some unpleasant possible side-effects of caffeine, including nervousness, upset stomach and having to urinate more than usual.

It also increases the chance of heartburn, Muncie said.

Other side effects include over-stimulation, jitteriness and an inability to concentrate, Lux said.

“One of the side-effects is it can make it difficult for people to sleep,” Muncie said. “That side-effect seems to be person-specific.”

Graduate art student David Yanchick said on average, he drinks three cans of caffeinated soda a day -- usually Mountain Dew.

“It doesn’t keep me awake, but I’ve noticed that the more I drink pop, the more I want it,” Yanchick said.

The combination of caffeine and sugar, like in soda, seems to be particularly habit-forming, Lux said. He recommends that students limit their daily caffeine intake.

People should limit their coffee intake to an average of three cups a day or less, Muncie said.

“If you go beyond that, you don’t really get anything out of it,” Muncie said.

It is important to maintain a healthy relationship with any drug that you use, including caffeine, Lux said.

“Use them purposely,” Lux said. “If you use them indiscriminantly, they’re less effective.”

He recommended taking caffeine orally and in diluted forms. Often caffeine and other stimulants can make people feel like they are getting something for nothing. Lux said this feeling is a false impression.

“[stimulants] force our body to give up its stored energy,” Lux said. “If you do that too much, you run out.”

Lux suggested reserving caffeine use for occasions when you know you will need it. Also, using it while studying can backfire. While caffeine may keep you awake, it will not help you think clearly, and may even cloud concentration.

The best way to think clearly is to get a good night of sleep, Muncie said.

Cutting back on caffeine once dependent can cause withdrawal, Muncie said. Symptoms include headaches and fatigue. If you’ve become dependent on caffeine, he suggests getting off of it slowly rather than going cold-turkey.

...and more...

Chocolate does not contain Caffeine.

There is a persistent urban legend that Chocolate contains caffeine. It would seem that this rumor is based primarily on a confusion between two similar alkaloids: caffeine and Theobromine. Theobromine is the active ingredient in Chocolate and it occurs only in Cacao. The two stimulants are related and have a similar structures, but are very different chemicals with different properties, effects and origins. There are of course, some Chocolate products that have added caffeine, but it does not occur naturally in Chocolate.

This rumor seems to have a life of its own; it won't go away and yet most references to it are references to the urban legend itself! Amusingly, almost all of the Chocolate & caffeine references on the Internet are circular. (Follow the references through a few links sometime -- you often wind up back at the page where you began!!) It is actually quite common to see references that confuse Caffeine and Theobromine. Many people and some semi-scientific sources confuse the two. Stollwerck, for example, says in one place Chocolate contains 1.2% Theobromine and 0.2% Caffeine, but in another place it says just 1.4% Caffeine and doesn't mention Theobromine, which is obviously wrong.

There is no scientific substantiation that Chocolate contains caffeine, and a great deal of evidence that it does not. The Biochemist, (Apr/May 1993, p 15) did chemical composition tests where they specifically distinguished between Caffeine and Theobromine. They found regularly up to 1.3% by weight Theobromine in Chocolate. They also found other pharmacologically active compounds including up to 2.20% Phenylethylamine up to 1.54% Tele- methylhistamine and occasionally up to 5.82% Serotonin. They could not detect any Caffeine at all. (Full results are on the Science Page.) I have yet to see a dependable chemical reference that includes Caffeine in Chocolate. (The Merck Index, 12th Edition says that a very small amount of Caffeine is found in the hulls of of the Cacao seeds, the hulls are discarded before processing.)

People seem to assume that caffeine is the only stimulant. Theobromine clearly has stimulant properties, so people reflexively attribute those effects to caffeine -- even though many of the effects are fundamentally different from caffeine. I guess they think it is easier to just say it is caffeine. I believe that many people casually refer to caffeine, when they really mean a whole class of chemicals called xanthines, of which caffeine is but one example. This is roughly equivalent to calling apes, human, because both are primates and humans are the more familiar type primate. Both are primates, but the differences are pretty obvious.

There is a similar confusion with the Andean tea Maté. Like Chocolate, Maté clearly has stimulant properties, which are obviously very different from caffeine's effects; however many people say it contains caffeine simply because because it is a stimulant. Yerba Maté contains Mateine, a xanthine even more closely related to Caffeine than Theobromine. It is a simple stereo-isomer of caffeine. Mateine, like Theobromine, is not addictive.

======================

Effects of Chocolate vs. caffeine:

THEOBROMINE CAFFEINE

gentle intense

mild effect strong effect

very slow onset fast acting

long lasting rapid dissipation

50% in bloodstream after 6 to 10 hrs 50% in bloodstream after 2 to 5 hrs

increases feeling of well being increases alertness

mild antidepressant increases emotional stress

gentle, smooth, sensual stimulation jagged, nervous stimulation

stimulates cardiovascular system stimulates cardiovascular system

stimulates muscular system stimulates respiratory system

mild effect on central nervous system strong effect on central nervous system

almost no one is allergic many people allergic

not addictive physically addictive

no withdrawal symptoms many proven withdrawal symptoms

mild diuretic extreme diuretic

stimulates the the kidneys requires large intake of fluids to

balance the diuretic effect

requires large amounts of sugar or needs minimal sugar or sweetner

sweetner

===============

There are a number of serious health problems associated with caffeine, most of which have not been associated with Theobromine:

1) Large quantities of Caffeine have shown decreased sperm counts in rats.

2) Well controlled studies have suggested that 2% of miscarriages could be due to

Caffeine in coffee.

3) Dehydration headaches -- Most headaches (estimates range from 50% to 90%) are

caused by dehydration, and one of the primary causes of dehydration in the USA

is the large quantity of Caffeine that most people consume. (Caffeine laden

drinks like CocaCola and Coffee don't quench your thirst, they actually

increase it!)

4) Heart trouble

5) Stress

There are several minor psycoactive chemicals in Chocolate as well as Theobromine: Phenylethylamine, Theophylline, Tele-methylhistamine Phenyethylamine, affects mood swings by causing an initial emotional high then a short time later an emotional low. It causes blood pressure and blood-sugar levels to rise, resulting in a feeling of alertness and contentment.

==================

Caffeine's addictiveness doubted

Researcher finds no problems with use of drug, but others are skeptical

Associated Press

March 29, 1999

Los Angeles -- Caffeine is not addictive for most people, a new study concludes, and has little effect on human health. No, really.

According to a much-promoted French study released during the recent American Chemical Society's annual meeting, drinking up to three cups of coffee a day has no effect on the part of the brain responsible for addiction. And it may actually be good for you.

If you're a rat.

After spending two years with 30 rodents, researcher Astrid Nehlig of the French National Health Medical Research Institute found that moderate consumption increases energy and renders addiction "quite unlikely."

The study was funded by the French coffee industry and Nehlig's employer.

Bank loan officer Laura Comstock doesn't hesitate when asked if she agrees with Nehlig's conclusions.

"No," she replies flatly.

Comstock must have at least two caffeinated drinks -- usually tea or Diet Coke -- to get through the day, plus a midmorning cup of joe.

"I get headaches if I don't drink coffee," she said, seated at a coffee house during lunch, a cup of decaf in hand. "There's got to be something to that."

According to Nehlig, seven or eight cups of java would have to be consumed in quick succession to create the same addictive brain activity as a low dose of, say, morphine.

"Addiction to caffeine is not the same as addiction to methamphetamines or cocaine or morphine," Nehlig said.

"I'm not denying that there can be a dependence on caffeine, I'm just saying that there is no adverse physical effects to using caffeine in moderate levels," the researcher said.

Caffeine studies are all over the map when it comes to health effects. Some say the drug increases productivity. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based watchdog group, says it may degenerate bone mass and endanger fetuses.

Roland Griffiths, a professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University, has done extensive research on caffeine. He's skeptical of Nehlig's conclusions.

"When you start extrapolating from rats to humans, all kinds of things change," he said. And "there is pretty substantial literature in animals and humans showing chronic administration of caffeine produces acute dependency syndrome."

Georgina Rocha, who operates a coffee stand in Los Angeles, sees some of that every day. Does she believe that caffeine is healthy for her customers?

"When I drink it, I get all jumpy and hyper, so it can't be good for them, either," she said.

=================

The Seattle Times: Health: Scientists find coffee really is addictive

Scientists find coffee really is addictive

By Angela Stewart

Newhouse News Service

NEWARK, N.J. — Don't be surprised if missing that cup of morning coffee gives you a headache or makes it difficult to concentrate at work. It's all part of caffeine withdrawal, say Johns Hopkins University researchers who released a study that could result in the official classification of the condition as a mental disorder.

In the most comprehensive review and analysis of the effects of caffeine abstinence in humans published to date, the researchers conclude that as little as one small cup of coffee daily can produce caffeine addiction.

In general, the more caffeine consumed, the more severe withdrawal symptoms will be, with some people even reporting depression, nausea, vomiting or muscle pain.

Results of the study could result in caffeine withdrawal's inclusion in the next edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM — considered the bible of the psychiatric profession.

"We need to recognize that caffeine really is a drug and accord it respect as a drug. People need to know what it does when they take it, and what it does when they cease to take it, and make an adult decision about that," said Roland Griffiths, professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins, who published the findings with his colleague, Laura Juliano, who teaches at American University.

Griffiths stressed that coffee is not the only culprit. He said soft drinks and other products containing caffeine can produce withdrawal symptoms, including fatigue and irritability.

The study results are published in the October issue of the journal Psychopharmacology.

Joseph DeRupo, a spokesman for the National Coffee Association, said the average American coffee drinker consumes 3.4 cups a day.

DeRupo said the scientific evidence is that caffeine is not an addictive substance, however. Altering the coffee-drinking routine is what produces problems, researchers found.

Griffiths and Juliano assessed the validity of 66 studies on caffeine withdrawal over many decades. Fifty percent of people had headaches, and 13 percent had clinically significant distress or impairment of function.

Typically, symptoms began 12 to 24 hours after stopping caffeine, with peak intensity lasting one to two days. But withdrawal can last two to nine days, the researchers found.

The American Psychiatric Association, which publishes the DSM, already unofficially recognizes the existence of caffeine withdrawal, but had suggested in its most recent review that the condition needed to be studied more systematically, which Griffith believes now has been done.

Kicking the caffeine habit is not easy. Griffith suggests gradually decreasing the amount of caffeine over one or two weeks.

"What we know based on other substances is that gradual detoxification works well," he said.

Copyright © 2004 The Seattle Times Company

But you have failed to look at it realistically.

A regular chocolate bar (here in Canada anyway) is approx. 42grams which would equal 30mg caffeine - 162.2mg caffeine would be equivalent to 5.5 chocolate bars. One cup of coffee (8oz) equals 60-120mg of caffeine. The average coffee drinker consumes approx 4 cups per day (240-480mg of caffeine). I can't imagine a sane person wanting to eat 5.5 chocolate bars (162mg) or 16 chocolate bars (480mg) in one day. :P

M.

30mg of the natural stimulate is equal to 1.4 ounces of that tasty chocolate powder. How do you manage to get 5-chocolate bars? I am refering to dark chocolate powder form. :lol:

42 grams = 1.4815064 ounces

5.4 would be the multiplier factor to equal one cup of coffee.

Edited by Hemidakota

HiJolly, if you perform a "liquid chromatography" of chocolate you will more than often see two distinctive analytical peaks: one for theobromine and the other for caffeine. A very popular analytical chemistry textbook even illustrates a typical quantitative analysis for caffeine in chocolate bars.

Remember, Cocoa is a bean just like Coffee is a bean, the scientific method for testing them for caffeine is the same.

30mg of the natural stimulate is equal to 1.4 ounces of that tasty chocolate powder. How do you manage to get 5-chocolate bars? I am refering to dark chocolate powder form. :lol:

42 grams = 1.4815064 ounces

5.4 would be the multiplier factor to equal one cup of coffee.

This is from HiJolly's link:

It should be pointed out that almost nobody eats a whole pound of chocolate, dark or otherwise, in one sitting. There is an inverse relationship between how dark the chocolate is and how much is eaten. The darker chocolate becomes, the less people eat. This makes it difficult to correlate the percentage (how dark the chocolate is) with what people really eat.

In general, a dark chocolate bar is eaten in small pieces, not all at once. Most manufacturers of quality dark chocolate mold the chocolate with deep scores, the intent being that the chocolate be eaten in small bite-size pieces and savored. For example, our two ounce (56 gram) chocolate bars are scored into 15 pieces of equal size (.113 ounce / 3.2 grams) -- the perfect size for slowly savoring one piece at a time. We expect that a chocolate bar will last far beyond a single sitting, generally several days to a week.

In the end, there is a moderate amount of caffeine in dark chocolate, not nearly as much as in coffee, and it would not be typical for someone to consume enough dark chocolate in a single sitting to equal the amount of caffeine found in a cup of coffee. The amount of caffeine actually consumed will depend on the person, the darkness of the chocolate, and the number of tasting squares the chocolate is divided into.

Amano Artisan Chocolate -- How Much Caffeine is in Chocolate?

I would say the most popular way to consume dark chocolate is via a chocolate bar. I am not a consumer of just dark chocolate powder myself.

Common sense goes a long way.

M.

If one is going to compare cocoa powder to coffee wouldn't it be more fair to compare it to coffee grounds and not a prepared cup?

Hot coco....

Generally contains copious amounts of sugar and powdered milk and sometimes other flavorants and is not the same thing as powdered cocoa. Anyone who bakes knows there is a difference between:

This:

http://www.indulgentfoods.com/img_thumb.asp?i=BelgianDark1lb_6954.jpg&w=220

And this:

Posted Image

Edited by Dravin

BTW, Found this at Stephen's website:

4) How much caffeine does Stephen's Gourmet Cocoa contain?

An 8 oz. serving of Stephen's Gourmet Hot Cocoa contains around 1 mg of caffeine. By comparison, an 8 oz. serving of regular coffee contains between 115 mg to 200 mg of caffeine. Even an 8 oz. serving of decaffeinated coffee contains 2 to 4 mg of caffeine.

First before jumping into the fray, at least come with some real Hot Cocoa Dark Chocolate mix. :P But again, not the first time and I don't expect it to be your last. :cool:

]

Not everyone is a chocolate snob Hemi. You're more likely to find Duncan Hines brownie mixes in my cupboard than Ghirardelli* or what have you. In my defense I've only been turned onto Dark Chocolate since February.

Posted Image

* Yes, Yes, I know. I should be making my brownies from scratch.

Oh, and here is a better picture of your Hot Chocolate:

Posted Image

Edited by Dravin