Tribute to Brigham Young

Vanhin

It's hard to say for sure who is more controversial, or the target of the anti's ire, Joseph Smith or Brigham Young. It's probably Joseph Smith, being the founder of the movement that many in this world fight so hard against, but Brother Brigham would definetly come in a close second.

He preached fiery sermons, and never minced words. He appeared to enjoy the shock value of saying certain things, during a sermon, which were meant to cause the congregation to really think about the subject at hand. The opponents of this Church fixate on his more controversial statements, and have built entire campaigns against us based on them. However, the contributions of Brigham Young to general Mormon theology, and his sermons on true, revealed religion, far outweight the controversial which receives undue emphasis.

So with that in mind. Please share some of your favorite quotes from the teachings of the prophet Brigham Young, perhaps ones that are not so well known. I'll start with one of mine.

Foreordination and Agency:

It is a mistaken idea that God has decreed all things whatsoever that come to pass, for the volition of the creature is as free as air. You may inquire whether we believe in foreordination; we do, as strongly as any people in the world. We believe that Jesus was foreordained before the foundations of the world were built, and his mission was appointed him in eternity to be the Savior of the world, yet when he came in the flesh he was left free to choose or refuse to obey his Father. Had he refused to obey his Father, he would have become a son of perdition. We also are free to choose or refuse the principles of eternal life. God has decreed and foreordained many things that have come to pass, and he will continue to do so; but when he decrees great blessings upon a nation or upon an individual they are decreed upon certain conditions. When he decrees great plagues and overwhelming destructions upon nations or people, those decrees come to pass because those nations and people will not forsake their wickedness and turn unto the Lord. It was decreed that Nineveh should be destroyed in forty days, but the decree was stayed on the repentance of the inhabitants of Nineveh. God rules and reigns, and has made all his children as free as himself, to choose the right or the wrong, and we shall then be judged according to our works (DBY, 55).

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

I never really understood this and totally ignored it until the last few years, where I now understand what was being stated. Yet, allot of the anti's use this and really don't have a clue to what the theological usage of stars as LDS community -

"Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening called the moon? ...when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the ignorant of their fellows. So it is in regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain," (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13, p. 271).

That's awesome Suzie. From a historical perspective (and more contemporary as well), one can really appreciate what Brigham Young meant. They just wanted the freedom to fully live their religion, and felt the Constitution protected their right to do so.

Vanhin

It's hard to say for sure who is more controversial, or the target of the anti's ire, Joseph Smith or Brigham Young. ....

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I'd say that Joseph is probably more often the target, but what is used for argument material seems more to come from Brigham Young, or during brigham's time as president.

"Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening called the moon? ...when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the ignorant of their fellows. So it is in regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain," (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 13, p. 271).

Was part of the omitted material where he tells about the height of the Moon People and how they dressed like old time Quakers or was that elsewhere in the Discourses?

BTW, I have always enjoyed that NASA photo of the Moon Quakers meeting the Astronaut. It is a valuable piece of our history.