Custom garments

EQ_Guy

A few months ago I posted about the cost of garments because I was going to be endowed. Now I am and recently called the church's number and asked about custom garments. In my old post I think someone said they costed twice the price of typical garments, but the customer service person seemed to look thru a manual of some kind and said custom garments were $30 each. COME ON!!!

I asked because my shoulders are a tad wide, so my garment tops fit everywhere else fine, but could be a bit wider on my shoulders. She just suggested I step up one size and try that out and that I could order some tops and they'd just cut off some of the bottom of the tops - I'm a little shorter than average. She said they'd be no charge for that.

But really, $30 for custom garments? :eek:

I am a large man and need custom garments made - they are the same price as regular garments but they do take 6 - 8 weeks to receive (as they must be custom made) They will ask for a number of measurements.

I last ordered about 6 months ago

According to the LDS Catalog website:

"Special orders are also available for members who are unable to obtain correct sizing in standard garments or have workplace requirements. Special orders for these reasons will be priced the same as standard garments. Personal preferences may also be filled through special order for an additional charge."

I am a large man and need custom garments made - they are the same price as regular garments but they do take 6 - 8 weeks to receive (as they must be custom made) They will ask for a number of measurements.

I last ordered about 6 months ago

Hmm. I wonder why she quoted me that outrageous price? :eek:

According to the LDS Catalog website:

"Special orders are also available for members who are unable to obtain correct sizing in standard garments or have workplace requirements. Special orders for these reasons will be priced the same as standard garments. Personal preferences may also be filled through special order for an additional charge."

Hmm. What falls under "personal preference" you think... my wanting a cape? on back of mine or something? :lol: I totally don't know if my slight alteration would be normally priced or higher. I almost feel like I'm calling some companies customer service now - every phone call they give me a different answer. :)

Hmm. What falls under "personal preference" you think... my wanting a cape? on back of mine or something? :lol: I totally don't know if my slight alteration would be normally priced or higher. I almost feel like I'm calling some companies customer service now - every phone call they give me a different answer. :)

I'm not sure. When I called them about placing an order for custom garments, the girl just told me the measurements they needed and said it would be the same price, but shipping would take a little bit longer. If I was you, I would call back and re-explain your situation, that you've tried several different sizes and nothing is fitting. Be sure to mention that you noticed on their website that custom garments for sizing issues are suppose to be the same price. It may be that they way you worded your situation when you initially called it sounded to them like you were just looking for something to fit more comfortably and not you can't find any already made sizes that actually fit you.

No offense, but I just bought bras and $30 sure sounds inexpensive to me for garments.

It's a relative thing considering non-custom garments (a set of top plus bottom) runs under $10. I'm assuming his $30 each quote is top and bottom, but that's over 3 times what one would normally pay.

Edited by Dravin

A few months ago I posted about the cost of garments because I was going to be endowed. Now I am and recently called the church's number and asked about custom garments. In my old post I think someone said they costed twice the price of typical garments, but the customer service person seemed to look thru a manual of some kind and said custom garments were $30 each. COME ON!!!

I asked because my shoulders are a tad wide, so my garment tops fit everywhere else fine, but could be a bit wider on my shoulders. She just suggested I step up one size and try that out and that I could order some tops and they'd just cut off some of the bottom of the tops - I'm a little shorter than average. She said they'd be no charge for that.

But really, $30 for custom garments? :eek:

Did you ask customer support, if you can send then pre-bought or pre-tailored white T-shirt?

From the Church Distribution website

Special orders are also available for members who are unable to obtain correct sizing in standard garments or have workplace requirements. Special orders for these reasons will be priced the same as standard garments. Personal preferences may also be filled through special order for an additional charge.

I guess it depends on whether its to obtain correct sizing or personal preferences (I wonder what those would be?)

From the Church Distribution website

I guess it depends on whether its to obtain correct sizing or personal preferences (I wonder what those would be?)

That's probably the crux of the issue. If he said they were a little snug the customer service person may have though he wants nice flowing garments and hit the personal preference check box. If Kimiko said that standard sizes don't fit her they may have hit the correct sizing check box.

If I may ask a question - who gets to wear garments? I haven't quite found a clear answer in my readings. Can any baptized person wear them? Are they only if you have a temple marriage? I read that couples get garments before the wedding; I might have misunderstood. Do you have to be worthy of a temple recommend, so that if you don't tithe or aren't active, you don't wear the garments? Thanks.

We have BYU TV on our cable lineup and sorry to say, I've been looking at everyone to see if I can tell if they're wearing garments. : ) I can't, so I'm wondering if many people, especially young people, aren't wearing them.

Only those who are worthy to enter a temple may wear them. They aren't for general Church membership. Such as those who are brand new converts or children do not wear them. It's only when having been found worthy by an interview with Bishop or Branch President to enter a temple that you begin to wear them.

I was sitting behind this woman in sacrament meeting last week, and the shoulder of her dress fell down. She was wearing her garment, a bra, a camisole, and something else I couldn't figure out --all under her dress --which was a thick polyester blend. It was 108 degrees last week!