Why Are Mormon Church Meetings So Dull?

Moksha

:D I had not noticed this topic before!

Meetings are what they are. Some Sundays I walk out of chrch feeling like a new guy, some Sundays I struggle through the 3 hour block. I'm human.

On another note, most forums have "cliques". They are what they are. The internet provides the safety of anonymity, and promotes boorish behavior by some. It's easy to be brave when you can't get pushed out of your chair. We actually have lessons in public school dealing with internet bullying. It happens amongst adults. I wouldn't think that anyone on this site would stoop to knowitall, gang up, internet bullying behavior.

I don't think that people on LDS.net intentionally bully except for an occasional anti-Mormon that gets banned. But I think it is human nature for friends to have each other's backs and be less accepting and warm towards new people, especially opinionated new people. I really think that most people are more polite in society, but even here are more outspoken than would be in church. The other problem is that written communication is the least effective form - we can't see each others faces or body language, hear each other's voices, we don't know each other. It's like when you yell at other cars on the freeway but if you had to look at the nice little grandma's face while she drives her car down the road, you would change your attitude or at least behavior really fast.

So from now on, maybe I should post a picture of my Grandma next to my dumb screenname :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I think it is human nature for friends to have each other's backs and be less accepting and warm towards new people, especially opinionated new people.

Tell me about it. :D I had my issues here at first, It was hard for me to understand how some people are just overly sensitive if someone disagrees or challenges their views, however we need to understand we are dealing with PEOPLE, that's how we are (different personalities) so is all good as long as we are respectful of each other.

I keep giving my opinions, welcome a good debate and challenge those views that I see are just an OPINION disguised as Church doctrine (very common here). There is absolutely nothing wrong in asking for sources or asking someone to state it is their personal view rather than state it like it's the "pure and unchangeable truth".

Well, I don't think the word pretentious is the correct term. However, it is a a little troublesome to ME that members would be concerned over the kind of callings they may or may not have in the future. Why? Because I never heard someone thinking about it in the same way as Primary Teacher or even Church pianist. It is usually in callings such as Bishop or Stake President. It would be concerning if the issue is one of social/church status and self-aggrandizement rather than just another calling we need to be prepared for.

Well, you'd probably hate my pretentions then. Because I'm one of those people that is actively preparing himself to take on the role of a bishop. I don't know if it will be in my current ward (I actually hope it isn't in my current ward) or in some other ward in the future. But it will come as a great surprise to me if I never am called to serve in that position.

Why would someone so young be so pretentious? you might ask.

There are a number of reasons. People have been telling me that I'm going to be a bishop for the better part of 20 years. It started when I was 10 years old, and the frequency of such statements has only increased over time. People that have told me this have included youth leaders, bishops, stake presidents, mission presidents, etc; people with great spiritual insight and even responsibility to train the future leaders of the Church. In fact, my current bishop not long ago charged me with training my assistant clerk to become a ward clerk because, direct quote, "he will be the next bishop's clerk." His implication was pretty clear, although time will tell if he's right or not. I've also been called to serve in positions including ward executive secretary, ward clerk, district clerk, mission secretary, and in positions where I've been called on to translate temple recommend interview. To put it simply, the grooming process for me began when I was very young. And on top of all of that, it's in my patriarchal blessing that I will serve in such a position, not to mention in "high ranking" positions at the stake level.

Here's another odd piece of evidence for you. I was considering marrying a girl that had a number of emotional struggles and co-dependency issues. As our relationship progressed, it was made known to me that if I proceeded to marry her, I would not be able to hold all the positions and callings the Lord had for me because her emotional state wasn't such that she could handle my absence as I fulfilled those roles.

So am I just being pretentious in saying that there's a high likelihood that I'll be a bishop someday? Given the experiences that I've had, wouldn't you think it would be wise to study up on what bishops do, what decisions they make, what their responsibilities are, and what things work well and don't work well within a ward? Or should I just sit back and remain ignorant so that when the calling comes I can start from scratch and reinvent the wheel?

Just something to think about--knowing your skills, abilities, and potential doesn't make you pretentious. But having that knowledge can help you prepare. And you'd have to be a fool to not prepare for it if you know it's a possibility.

Yes, I do hate it. Its arrogant and presumptive. Spouting off your callings sounds like you are putting together a resume for a bishop's application. Its disgusting. Your patriarchal blessing is not a fortune telling. Those promises will be fulfilled only if you are worthy or humble enough to receive them. Never once have I heard a bishop stand up after receiving his calling state, "I have been groomed for this calling since I was 10. Everyone told me I would be a bishop. I have been planning on it for years, and I finally got it." Feel free to tell your congregation that when you achieve your goals. Im sure you will be well supported. Your post is seriously unbelievable. May the Lord steer me away from your ward boundaries.