Criterion questions when you study scriptures ?

Gerasim

When you study scriptures ''what questions do you use as a guaide that you come to the point with verses, logical and spiritual answers'' ?

I use questions like, who, what, when, why, how, where, arheological evidences and historical events that are connected with scriptures.

What criterion questions do you use ?

I do use the same. I treat the scriptures as if I am watching a movie and actors are the characters within the verses.

At times, I would place more emphases on specifics scriptures when the Spirit prompts. In one case earlier this year, it was reading the Book of Genesis in the case of the Tower of Babel. While feeling this Spirit, I began a long process of researching other works, former historians, and other non-canonized works, used simulated models and drawings then compare notes what I have read. Within my own journal, this material taken a lot of space in describing what was research, drawings, photos, in proving my postulation of noting archeological existment today by scholars and what I have learned later by the guidance of the Spirit, was quite revealing. It brings a new level of prospective to the scriptures and the thirst for knowledge.

When you study scriptures ''what questions do you use as a guaide that you come to the point with verses, logical and spiritual answers'' ?

I use questions like, who, what, when, why, how, where, arheological evidences and historical events that are connected with scriptures.

What criterion questions do you use ?

I guess it would fall into the "why" question, but I think it is specifically important to always understand who was doing the speaking and to whom it was given. In other words, what was the purpose of the story, what was the underlying message of the scripture based on the intended audience. (Guess I used 'who' and 'what' in there as well, haha)

I would ask all the who, what, where, when, why, and how questions, plus I would need to consider the fact that people in the scriptures don’t have the same sense of morality, ethics, or laws, as we do, they even have different laws of God. Also I would consider that they used a different language and grammar structure as we do, even in the Doctrine and Covenants (I’ll explain in a moment). The Bible is the most difficult scripture to figure out the original meaning, one reason is, the events in the Bible happened so long ago, with very little outside the Bible information. When you add to the fact that the Bible is a collection of books, stories, writings of numerous prophets, which were written thousands of years apart. When they were all put together, there were thousands of people, in different cultures, translating and interpreting the Bible. I have to apply Article of Faith 8 when I study the Bible. I also apply AoF 8 to some extent to the rest of the Standard Works, during the time that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and wrote the Doctrine and Covenants, the 1800’s, the English language was different than it is today.

Long story short, in addition to the main ‘w’ questions, I would ask, ‘is there a record of this event outside of the Bible, like the Quran, Dead Sea Scrolls, Josephus, Philo, or any other early books or records. If yes, then how are they alike? How are they different?

Do I have access to these books?

Is there commentary for the scripture that I’m reading, if yes, read all the different commentaries, that you can, for that verse(s) to see if they have something different to say. What is the best commentary?

What does the Scriptures say about that scripture? What does Jesus say? What does Modern Prophets, Apostles, or LDS scholars have to say? Last, but not least, what do I have to say about that scripture?

What I do is try to open my mind. It sounds easy enough...

When most people read they use a filter (for lack of a better term) to understand what they're reading. This filter or screen bounces off everything they don't understand and only lets pass the things they do understand. Maybe once in a while something they don't understand gets filtered through and falls in place.

We use a word filter also. We assume we understand what the writer meant by a certain word of phrase and we use that to understand the rest.

In both cases it can cause us to misunderstand, or not catch the intended meaning of the scripture.

Since I have been making an attempt to read without these filters, my eyes have been opened to many things I never saw before.