When is it appropriate to remove your garments?

This question is most appropriately answered in confidence with your bishop. The temple recommend interview itself contains instruction concerning this topic. This is not an appropriate discussion for an Internet forum. I hope the moderators will exercise some discretion here and pull this thread.

I agree that garment questions are probably best asked and discussed with the bishop or someone in the temple or distribution center.

i wear them when I can. Aspects of my illness mean sometimes I can't so I just keep them close in those circumstances. I went about two months without them at the end of my pregnancy and early motherhood with my daughter. I swelled beyond where it was possible to wear any. the drisique didn't give and the cotton have elastic.

This question is most appropriately answered in confidence with your bishop. The temple recommend interview itself contains instruction concerning this topic. This is not an appropriate discussion for an Internet forum. I hope the moderators will exercise some discretion here and pull this thread.

I am not sure why discussing the physical aspects of the garment is wrong. I get the spiritual aspect is sacred, but that has not been mentioned here. Personally as a woman I feel a lot more comfortable discussing my undies with people on here most of whom I know better than my bishop or relief society president. Also if the topic offended you so much why did you open it? You were the one not exercising discretion over your own comfort levels.

i wear them when I can. Aspects of my illness mean sometimes I can't so I just keep them close in those circumstances. I went about two months without them at the end of my pregnancy and early motherhood with my daughter. I swelled beyond where it was possible to wear any. the drisique didn't give and the cotton have elastic.

My sister-in-law also has fibromyalgia. She's pregnant right now, and not taking her "normal" meds for it, so she has a lot more days of pain than normal. I recently visited her and noticed one day that she was wearing just a tank top and short (exercise) shorts. I asked her about it -- teased, sort-of -- and she explained that without the medication to control her pain, that it often physically hurt to have extra layers on, even ones as thin as garments.

My sister-in-law also has fibromyalgia. She's pregnant right now, and not taking her "normal" meds for it, so she has a lot more days of pain than normal. I recently visited her and noticed one day that she was wearing just a tank top and short (exercise) shorts. I asked her about it -- teased, sort-of -- and she explained that without the medication to control her pain, that it often physically hurt to have extra layers on, even ones as thin as garments.

I often wear just a vest top and shorts around the house, its the only thing I can wear without aggravating the pain too much. I always wear my garments outside of the house except for Doctors appointments, but I use my discretion when it comes to my illness. For me the worst time is when i have loads of sores and having anything on them is just unbearable. Other times I have to wear my husband's they are softer and have no elastic at the bottom.

It was discussing it with other Sisters with Fibromyalgia that helped me find my way with my garments. Not sure my Bishop or RS President could have helped. I now know for myself its the right way to wear them. This is why i think discussing it on the boards is important. How many Sisters have needed advice about sizing, material and fit etc Not sure many Bishop's can help with that;) I just think these boards can help keep people wearing them that may have given up.

Edited by Elgama

I really wish they would make women's garments without an elastic lace band, other than the DriSilque fabric.

I have removed the elastic on some of my cotton ones. I just use a seam ripper to remove the elastic part. The only problem though is because the cotton bottoms don't hang like mens do they tend to roll. Then again the DriSilque bottoms roll too. Which is probably why I don't wear that kind anymore.

I have removed the elastic on some of my cotton ones. I just use a seam ripper to remove the elastic part. The only problem though is because the cotton bottoms don't hang like mens do they tend to roll. Then again the DriSilque bottoms roll too. Which is probably why I don't wear that kind anymore.

Well, we're not supposed to alter them at all, but the solution to rolling is that after you pulle the elastic lace band off, just hem them up a 1/4 inch.

Or they might just exercise some discretion here and not pull the thread.

Edited by Dravin

I often wear just a vest top and shorts around the house, its the only thing I can wear without aggravating the pain too much. I always wear my garments outside of the house except for Doctors appointments, but I use my discretion when it comes to my illness. For me the worst time is when i have loads of sores and having anything on them is just unbearable. Other times I have to wear my husband's they are softer and have no elastic at the bottom.

It was discussing it with other Sisters with Fibromyalgia that helped me find my way with my garments. Not sure my Bishop or RS President could have helped. I now know for myself its the right way to wear them. This is why i think discussing it on the boards is important. How many Sisters have needed advice about sizing, material and fit etc Not sure many Bishop's can help with that;) I just think these boards can help keep people wearing them that may have given up.

Life with FMS is just plain hard. Sometimes for me not only my clothes hurt but just a breeze across my skin hurts. Its tough to decide what is best. I'm glad you figured what works best for you.

Life with FMS is just plain hard. Sometimes for me not only my clothes hurt but just a breeze across my skin hurts. Its tough to decide what is best. I'm glad you figured what works best for you.

thats why I think being able to discuss the physical aspect of garment wearing is inportant. I knew about being able to wear men;s garments from a discussion with a remple natron. But I am not close enough to have frequent conversations with one.

I really wish they would make women's garments without an elastic lace band, other than the DriSilque fabric.

Agreed! Who the heck designed the women's garments? Elastic band around womanly thighs just isn't going to work.

I finally found tops in the right size that don't have the lace, but the sleeve openings are massive! I feel like I'm preparing to take flight with my dumbo sleeves.

And why is it that the bottom of the women's tops are not even hemmed like the men's tops are? There's just a fine little stitching that easy rolls up and gets frayed.

Men have it easy. The garments are just like regular t-shirts and boxers. It seems like the women's ones are cheaply made and poorly put together. I've wasted a lot of money trying to find garments that actually fit.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. Sorry.

Men have it easy. The garments are just like regular t-shirts and boxers. It seems like the women's ones are cheaply made and poorly put together. I've wasted a lot of money trying to find garments that actually fit.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. Sorry.

LOL I agree. The men's garments just feel better quality, and they are more comfortable in shape. I am not sure why there isn't a women's garment that is more just shorts and t shirt. Even the camisole top isn't as good. TBH I tend to wear a man's top more often. The maternity garments are better than the normal ones. but whoever designed them doesn't allow for swelling. With my firat I looked like the michellin man at the end, and that was before I got pre-eclampsia which then got out of hand. UGGHH believe me ranting about garmnets at that point was what I was doing. Having said that I was so swollen the hospital couldn't find compression socks big enough.

Why is this not appropriate? Next time you go to an endowment session listen carefully to what you covenant to not divulge outside of the temple, it's very narrow and specific and has absolutely nothing to do with garments. The moderators must not agree with you as this thread is still going strong. I think it's a good thing that people that get together on a forum and talk about things that are important to them. It's a uniquely Mormon experience to have a group of people talk to each other about their underwear.^_^

LOL I agree. The men's garments just feel better quality, and they are more comfortable in shape. I am not sure why there isn't a women's garment that is more just shorts and t shirt.

Women are shaped differently from men. Heck, most women are shaped differently from each other. There are so many different compound curves, diameters, and angles that I get dizzy just thinking about it. This is why there are companies that make huge sums making custom-fitted jeans for women while most men get theirs off the rack in standardized sizes-- there just aren't as many variations in body shape and size among us menfolk.

Women are shaped differently from men. Heck, most women are shaped differently from each other. There are so many different compound curves, diameters, and angles that I get dizzy just thinking about it. This is why there are companies that make huge sums making custom-fitted jeans for women while most men get theirs off the rack in standardized sizes-- there just aren't as many variations in body shape and size among us menfolk.

Ok fair enough. You have a valid point. I understand it MAY be more difficult to make uniform women's garments. However, they could AT LEAST HEM the garments!!!!

Women are shaped differently from men. Heck, most women clothes are shaped differently from each other. There are so many different compound curves, diameters, and angles that I get dizzy just thinking about it. This is why there are companies that make huge sums making custom-fitted jeans women for women their jeans while most men get theirs off the rack in standardized sizes-- there just aren't as many variations in body shape and size among us menfolk.

Fixed that for you.

I would not feel comfortable talking to my Bishop about underwear. But then I guess that's what the Relief Society President is for.

When we were baptized, the missionaries neglected to tell us to white undies, so it was pretty embarrassing to have to talk to the missionary president about my shocking red underwear. He may have been more embarrassed, however.

yes and 10% of women have a cone shape which is similar to that of a man. Sounds unppealing but I understand its the shape of most supermodels. We may be rare but the shape we need is similar to that worn by men.