Is your media less biased than mine?

NeuroTypical

Never trust the media for telling you the entire story or even the true story. The media twists the truth and leaves out key information in stories all the time.

Absolutely! (especially FoxNews)

es·pe·cial·ly   /ɪˈspɛʃəli/ [ih-spesh-uh-lee] –adverb

particularly; exceptionally; markedly: Be especially watchful.

So, to start out, I'm fully in agreement with crazypotato's take on things. But who out there is willing to defend kimiko's claim, that FoxNews is particularly or more deserving of crazypotato's suggestion?

Is FoxNews more biased than, oh, say, CNN, or MSNBC? Or moveon.org?

LM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

es·pe·cial·ly   /ɪˈspɛʃəli/ [ih-spesh-uh-lee] –adverb

particularly; exceptionally; markedly: Be especially watchful.

So, to start out, I'm fully in agreement with crazypotato's take on things. But who out there is willing to defend kimiko's claim, that FoxNews is particularly or more deserving of crazypotato's suggestion?

LM

I don't see how anyone could prove this except for specific examples of news stories that they had first hand knowledge of. But maybe there are other ways.

And you are in agreement of me? Wow!

But who out there is willing to defend kimiko's claim, that FoxNews is particularly or more deserving of crazypotato's suggestion?

LM

FoxNews is more biased conservative, while CNN or MSNBC are more biased liberal. Not all biases are created equal.

I can't speak for fox news, as we don't have them over here. However one media company in the UK produces a very popular news paper called the daily mail. It has been linked to from this forum several times. I dislike them because they publish stories which haven't been verified in any way.

Want an example: Horror as woman stamps on her baby after being accused of phone theft | Mail Online

I think any sensible person can see why that story is fake (pictures are photoshopped) yet clearly the journalist in question missed this, or intentionally ignored it. This is far from the only example. The sun newspaper, and daily express are also guilty of such incredible oversights, so I avoid reading them if possible. The daily express once made front page headlines about a puppy which had been "stamped to death by teenage thugs", which turned out to be completely false as the dog had died from a virus - the newspaper didn't even get to see the dog, they simply took the owners word for it.

My cousin also featured in the newspaper about 10 years ago, when he was a small kid due to suffering from hypoplastic left heart syndrome (a rare and very serious defect). They were given all the correct details from his parents, but some changes to these details were made prior to publishing, for instance they told their readers he was younger than he actually was, in order to provoke more sympathy.

So yeah, I don't consider many popular news outlets as valid sources any more.

I watch Fox News if I want intelligent, well-thought discussions about the news. I watch the other news sources to find out what the less informed people think of the news. All news sources present their info in a way that their target audience will understand.

Interesting. Your commentary, in and of itself, is quite biased.

I watch Fox News if I want intelligent, well-thought discussions about the news. I watch the other news sources to find out what the less informed people think of the news. All news sources present their info in a way that their target audience will understand.

I find your statement horrifying. I view Fox News the opposite - full of lies and deceiving, clearly the broadcasting arm of the conservatives and Republican Party.

I find your statement horrifying. I view Fox News the opposite - full of lies and deceiving, clearly the broadcasting arm of the conservatives and Republican Party.

Also a very biased statement. These two personal observations lend credence to these two idea already expressed in this thread:

Not all biases are created equal.

I'd say we are all biased in one way or another.

Note that I'm not saying that having a bias is bad, but that, as Dr. T said, just about everything has some bias to it, and like I said, it's not all the same bias -- some good, some bad, some just plain are.

Hehe. I like perusing the internet for all the info out there. Mahone, but I love the U.K. stuff like the Mail Online. I also like the Aussie papers, too, precisely because they aren't done up like the USA stuff.

As far as bias in the media...I think it's hard for papers/t.v. news to decide what to put out to the people. The sheer volume of info in our well-connected world is amazing! But then the editors decide what they think their audience wants to know and what their advertisers will tolerate. You can't totally blame news organizations for the slant, you have to also blame the viewers who look for that slant, too. Remember the network news shows of the 80s? It seems to me that real, unbiased, news programs died sometime after that decade.

If I were a news channel, I would find out what my target audience wants and then cater to them. I would also be more chummy chummy with my sponsors and their political opinions.

So maybe in looking at a news corp, look at who pays their bill to see who they are the most biased towards. Follow the money trail.

Yes. They are primarily an advocacy group for the Republican Party and conservative causes rather than a legitimate news provider.

As opposed to ABC, CBS, NBC, and MSNBC being primarily advocacy groups for the Democrat Party and liberal causes rather than being legitimate news providers?

Can you provide specific details of those allegations, especially where they are being liars and deceivers?

No way. They offer balanced reporting. I'm glad that they give time for differing viewpoints. It's unfairly described as a conservatively biased network. I'm not liberal or conservative, I share some views with both groups. And I've voted Democrat and Republican at various times. If anything, viewers are not focused, on the average. Edited by Boris_natasha

Can you provide specific details of those allegations, especially where they are being liars and deceivers?

Nearly all if it from Fox News. It's really time for them to just admit they are the Republican News Channel. Although it's more propaganda than news. I hope Fox News does not get the front seat at the white house daily briefings. They deserve to be kicked out.

Howard Dean has referred to Fox News as a "right-wing propaganda machine,

"The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money and more power..." - V.P. Henry Wallace, 1944

No way. They offer balanced reporting. I'm glad that they give time for differing viewpoints. It's unfairly described as a conservatively biased network. I'm not liberal or conservative, I share some views with both groups. And I've voted Democrat and Republican at various times. If anything, viewers are not focused, on the average.

Free country. Watch what you want. Listening to differing viewpoints is good.

Nearly all if it from Fox News. It's really time for them to just admit they are the Republican News Channel. Although it's more propaganda than news. I hope Fox News does not get the front seat at the white house daily briefings. They deserve to be kicked out.

"The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money and more power..." - V.P. Henry Wallace, 1944

And this is a perfect representation of this fact:

1.) If you are liberal, Fox News is a biased conservative/republican propaganda machine while CNN is a neutral informative true news agency.

2.) If you are conservative, CNN is a biased liberal/democrat propaganda machine while Fox News is a neutral informative true news agency.

My suggestion: Remove YOUR OWN bias first. Then you can see the news from any media for what they truly are. You will never find truth if you only look at one side of the picture.

It's amazing how people can take a tidbit of information and take it for their own spin based on their preconceived bias. I guess that's why the gospel needed a restoration.

If I were a news channel, I would find out what my target audience wants and then cater to them. I would also be more chummy chummy with my sponsors and their political opinions.

So maybe in looking at a news corp, look at who pays their bill to see who they are the most biased towards. Follow the money trail.

Saudi Prince controls some of the money in Fox News.

Saudi Prince, Now Part Owner of Murdoch's News Corp., Influences Fox News | Center for Media and Democracy

My suggestion: Remove YOUR OWN bias first. Then you can see the news from any media for what they truly are. You will never find truth if you only look at one side of the picture.

That's throwing the baby out with the bath water. Just because Fox News plays the propaganda game does not mean CBS/NBC/ABC/CNN/MSNBC does the same. Ok, they are not perfect and they make mistakes and do wrong, but not as bad as Fox News.

Hehe. I like perusing the internet for all the info out there. Mahone, but I love the U.K. stuff like the Mail Online. I also like the Aussie papers, too, precisely because they aren't done up like the USA stuff.

What do you mean, not done up like the USA stuff?

The daily mail is notorious for their fairly extreme rumour mongering. Many websites have created what they call Daily mail headline generators: Google, because it's get to the point where they will publish anything (true or not) as long as people will read it. I read news with the expectation that at least some kind of verification has been carried out. I have proof this does not happen with two newspapers, including the daily mail. These are not one off situations either, so I simply don't read them anymore - I can get better validated news elsewhere. The purpose of my signature is taking the micky out of one of their editors called Andrew Norman Wilson. You can click on his name to see the Daily mail article the ridiculous quote came from.

So.............. you've got nothing. Why not just say you have no idea what you're talking about? Here's a piece of advice for you- just because Howard 'The Scream' Dean says something bad about a group of people, it doesn't make it true.