For the love of reptiles...

Not sure where this post belongs. I thought I'd just put it here in General Discussions and let a mod move it if needed.

We just hatched out 3 new babies... it's a pretty exciting time. Okay, probably only 1% of LDS members are going to appreciate this post. lol...

Posted Image

We got the color-phase we were hoping for on the first try, so we're all set!

Okay, let's make this into a game. What do you think these guys are?

:D

No cigars... Lollipops! :D

Okay, I'll give you some clues.

These guys hatched out as follows... the brown was 45 grams (1.6oz), the pink on the left was 47 grams (1.7 oz), the pink on the right was 69 grams (2.4oz). Only the 69g one was able to finish his entire yolk. The other two detached the umbilicus before all the yolk was absorbed.

There were 2 other eggs that did not make it. So, that made the clutch size 5.

and I'll give you this much... it's a constrictor (non-venomous).

No cigars... Lollipops! :D

Okay, I'll give you some clues.

These guys hatched out as follows... the brown was 45 grams (1.6oz), the pink on the left was 47 grams (1.7 oz), the pink on the right was 69 grams (2.4oz). Only the 69g one was able to finish his entire yolk. The other two detached the umbilicus before all the yolk was absorbed.

There were 2 other eggs that did not make it. So, that made the clutch size 5.

and I'll give you this much... it's a constrictor (non-venomous).

Yes because there are so many herpetologists on the board:)

Well, I was at first thinking killer bees, but then, that is a co-dom trait, and why then would you end up with a normal phenotype? What simple recessive gives that morph?

You are very very close!

You'll get it after these 2 clues, I'm sure:

This is a pre-shed picture.

The parents and the babies don't have hidden heterozygous genes (that I know of).

C'mon ryan!

Reticulated python?

I live in Florida now. They got banned in Florida last March. :mad:

This is really why I'm sharing reptile experiences on LDS.net. I'm hoping I can help spread good information about these commonly misunderstood creatures so that we have a chance at stopping ridiculous legislation against our pets.

You are very very close!

You'll get it after these 2 clues, I'm sure:

This is a pre-shed picture.

The parents and the babies don't have hidden heterozygous genes (that I know of).

C'mon ryan!

Eh . . . I don't pay much attention to them. I have an amelanistic and her heterozygous mate, and 2.0 pastels with 0.5 normals. Other than that, I don't pay much attention to the morphs. Actually, I'm selling all but my amel and her mate.

So it is a co-dom trait then? And you got two supers and a normal? That would be nice odds (on the supers).

Eh . . . I don't pay much attention to them. I have an amelanistic and her heterozygous mate, and 2.0 pastels with 0.5 normals. Other than that, I don't pay much attention to the morphs. Actually, I'm selling all but my amel and her mate.

So it is a co-dom trait then? And you got two supers and a normal? That would be nice odds (on the supers).

I got a pastel x spider combo. Mom is pastel, dad is spider. Odds would have been 25% normal, 25% spider, 25% pastel, and 25% bumblebee for each egg.

But, I ended up with 3 bumblebees and 2 normals (counting the ones that didn't make it)! And those bumblebees are so clean and stunning they almost look like killer bees. But, I know it will still change with the shed, so we'll see in a week!

Okay, for everybody else... those are ball pythons. They average 3-5 feet adult size. Generally a docile/shy python species. They are good beginner pets.

Ball pythons come in different colors passed through genetically, commonly called a morph. A normal coloration is brown with black jungle pattern with a little white tossed in. A pastel morph is yellowish in color with brown/black jungle pattern. A spider morph is brown with black "spidery" pattern (thin black lines). A bumblebee is a possible offspring of a pastel morph bred to a spider morph. It produces the yellowish color with the black spidery pattern.

A normal coloration runs around $50 at the pet store. A pastel or a spider is more expensive. Something around $200 range. The bumblebee is between $600-$800 range depending on the cleanliness of the pattern. The bumblebee is quite stunning to see in a vivarium. A killerbee is even more stunning with a brighter yellow color. But they're more expensive too.

These guys are my kids' pets.

They can cause more havoc in the wilds and backyards of Florida, than the alligators in the New York City sewers can consume sanitation workers.

Exactly. Last I heard, they were hoping the alligators would eat even just one sanitation worker so they can hire a new one and make a dent in NYC's unemployment numbers... but unfortunately, they all showed up for attendance check and yelled "Present!". :D

There's an awesome show going on right now on Nat Geo - Python Hunters. It's a show putting out the correct information about the pythons in the Everglades. I don't know if it's available online but it's a "reality check" on the whole media circus.

• 2 weeks later...