A Few Questions from a non-lds

extra_mile

I will be totally honest, I don't know any lds, so I'm asking you all. I'm not looking to become a lds, so no pressure, Lol

I'm thinking about taking on a business partner for my Christian Company.

I have a Christian info company and add some lds info on my site, but this person will not work with me if I do this. He says lds are not Christians because of some of your "different" beliefs, so I should not include you. Yes I know many Christians who say this.

So, I would like to ask a few questions, so that I may understand things better.

I will start by asking what you say when others say you are not Christians?

I'm not looking for you to defend lds, just want to hear from your "HEART"

Thanks, Roger

Edit... I don't want "book" Answers, I want to hear from you, who live this everyday, Thanks

Edited by extra_mile
Make This More Clear...

Others are much more eloquent than I am, so I'll leave them to explain why we are Christians. Here's a hint though... it has something to do with Jesus being our savior.

Our local Christian store looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for the latest Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD and made some snotty comment, so she's lost my business. It's only because of my husband that I didn't return most everything I'd purchased there. But it doesn't surprise me that people are like that I suppose. I can always order stuff online, and there is a tiny Mormon shop about 20 miles south if I need to go inhale Bible bindings and finger pages.

I say the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, NOT a testament of another Jesus Christ.

Those who say we are not Christian simply don't understand that He is the primary figure in our religion, and we have scriptural texts from 2 different peoples from 2 different continents as further evidence.

The official name of the church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."

It's really a no-brainer if anyone looks at it objectively.

The main point they make is that we don't believe in the traditional Trinity. This is true, but we do believe in Jesus Christ, and that's the definition of Christian, not whether we believe in the Trinity.

I will start by asking what you say when others say you are not Christians?

I'm not looking for you to defend lds, just want to hear from your "HEART"

Thanks, Roger

"Yes I am."

From the heart, no (well, minimal) defense. :)

Edited by Dravin

See i find this question funny because when i asked this last week in chat i had two members take exception with being referred to as being Christians. They wanted nothing to do with the term Christian.

I sincerely hope that these two members want nothing to do with the terms Mormon or LDS, too.

Hi extra_mile,

Let me give you a very straight answer. We are not trinitarians. We do not believe God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost are the same person. We do not believe in whatever creed that guy came up with that kicked the whole "3 in 1" idea into popular Christian thought.

We do believe in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe they are three different personages. We believe that if you ever happen to shake hands with Jesus, you will not have shaken hands with His Father.

That ticks off a lot of Christians, to the extent that they wish to deny us the title.

Something else that ticks them off, is that we believe that the Bible is litterally telling the open direct truth, when it says we're sons and daughters of God. We believe that children grow up. So, if sons and daughters of zebras grow up to be zebras, and acorns grow up to be mighty oak trees, and sons and daughters of birds grow up to be birds, then sons and daughters of God grow up to be [insert logical answer here]. (We do believe that God will ALWAYS be our God, and Christ will ALWAYS be our Savior, but yeah, when Christ says in the Bible that He will inherit everything His Father hath, and we are joint-heirs with Him, we believe it.)

The ramifications of believing what the Bible says in that way, ticks off a bunch of christians too.

LM

We are not "traditional" Christians. LDS are "Restorationist" Christians. We believe in Jesus Christ, but not in the creeds created after the apostles' died, such as the Athanasius Creed or the Council of Chalcedon. Restorationists believe that much of the truth and authority of God were lost over the centuries and had to be restored through the visitation of angels to modern men called as living prophets.

So there is a case to make that we are both Christian and not-Christian. It depends on whether one means the traditional/historical Christianity that includes the creeds, or whether one means a person who believes in Jesus as his Savior (which we do).

There are some (including LDS scholar Richard Bushman) who would suggest we are a fourth Abrahamic religion (Judaism, Traditional Christianity, Islam, Mormon/Restorationist Christianity). Personally, I like this conception, as it allows for both traditional Christians to keep themselves apart from the restorationist religions; and it allows Mormonism to still be a form of Christianity.

No serious reader of John 17 can belive in the traditional Trinity, or at least have questions or doubts.

Here just some high-lights (from a Trinity perspective):

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The Father is the only true God, and that only true God sent Jesus Christ. Can one send themselves? Wouldn't the one part already know and just agree to go and do with no "sending?"

4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

The Father gave the Son something to do while on earth that would glorify Him. How could He give Himself something to do, and how can He glorify Himself by accomplishing a work on earth?

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

How can the same being have more or less glory as another part of himself? Aren't they the same?

Then comes the crystal clear descriptions of how the Father and Son are one. Read all of them. They cannot be mistaken or misunderstood. They are repeated over and over. In my opinion, anyone who believes the Father and Son are the same being after seriously reading John 17 either misunderstands or isn't giving it enough logical thought. You have to let your belief drive you beyond the clear intent of these passages in order to misunderstand them.

Everyone does this when reading scripture. We have to be careful when we do it. It doesn't always work and may lead us to false conclusions.

Latter-Day Saints believe in the Father and Son of John 17.

Others are much more eloquent than I am, so I'll leave them to explain why we are Christians. Here's a hint though... it has something to do with Jesus being our savior.

Our local Christian store looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for the latest Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD and made some snotty comment, so she's lost my business. It's only because of my husband that I didn't return most everything I'd purchased there. But it doesn't surprise me that people are like that I suppose. I can always order stuff online, and there is a tiny Mormon shop about 20 miles south if I need to go inhale Bible bindings and finger pages.

That sucks that they would do that, Some Christians can just be ..... LOL

I say the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, NOT a testament of another Jesus Christ.

Those who say we are not Christian simply don't understand that He is the primary figure in our religion, and we have scriptural texts from 2 different peoples from 2 different continents as further evidence.

The official name of the church is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."

It's really a no-brainer if anyone looks at it objectively.

The main point they make is that we don't believe in the traditional Trinity. This is true, but we do believe in Jesus Christ, and that's the definition of Christian, not whether we believe in the Trinity.

Great points! I agree, If you follow Christ, than you are a Christian, (POINT BLANK), all other things are like side notes, lol

I love God.

I love His son, Jesus Christ. If they judge me to be Christian, then I am.

I would suggest your coworker allow the saviour to determine that.

Yea, I run across so many "Christians" That are so hard against lds and others, it's crazy. They seem to have already made up their minds already? Because of the bad stuff they hear, without checking it out?

Hi extra_mile,

Let me give you a very straight answer. We are not trinitarians. We do not believe God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost are the same person. We do not believe in whatever creed that guy came up with that kicked the whole "3 in 1" idea into popular Christian thought.

We do believe in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe they are three different personages. We believe that if you ever happen to shake hands with Jesus, you will not have shaken hands with His Father.

That ticks off a lot of Christians, to the extent that they wish to deny us the title.

Something else that ticks them off, is that we believe that the Bible is litterally telling the open direct truth, when it says we're sons and daughters of God. We believe that children grow up. So, if sons and daughters of zebras grow up to be zebras, and acorns grow up to be mighty oak trees, and sons and daughters of birds grow up to be birds, then sons and daughters of God grow up to be [insert logical answer here]. (We do believe that God will ALWAYS be our God, and Christ will ALWAYS be our Savior, but yeah, when Christ says in the Bible that He will inherit everything His Father hath, and we are joint-heirs with Him, we believe it.)

The ramifications of believing what the Bible says in that way, ticks off a bunch of christians too.

LM

Wow, thanks for all this. This really helps.

So you will be like 'little gods"? with Christ and God still over you right?

{As an answer to what you said, I see what you are saying, but zebras give birth they don't create, so young ones grow up to be the same. God created us, a little different, but I see where you get this.} Thanks

We are not "traditional" Christians. LDS are "Restorationist" Christians. We believe in Jesus Christ, but not in the creeds created after the apostles' died, such as the Athanasius Creed or the Council of Chalcedon. Restorationists believe that much of the truth and authority of God were lost over the centuries and had to be restored through the visitation of angels to modern men called as living prophets.

So there is a case to make that we are both Christian and not-Christian. It depends on whether one means the traditional/historical Christianity that includes the creeds, or whether one means a person who believes in Jesus as his Savior (which we do).

There are some (including LDS scholar Richard Bushman) who would suggest we are a fourth Abrahamic religion (Judaism, Traditional Christianity, Islam, Mormon/Restorationist Christianity). Personally, I like this conception, as it allows for both traditional Christians to keep themselves apart from the restorationist religions; and it allows Mormonism to still be a form of Christianity.

Cool, Thanks for sharing this, I think there can be many different ways at looking at that.

I like this,,, " or whether one means a person who believes in Jesus as his Savior (which we do)."