Church's views on scary/horror films?

Uncle_Sam

What I'm wondering is does the church have a stand on these kinds of things? I know that we've been told to not use ouiji boards and such because it invites evil spirits into our lives while driving away the Holy Ghost. So is it the same thing for horror movies?

Also my little brother loves watching those ghost hunting shows on tv. Is there anything that advises us to not watch those sorts of things?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The church has no stance on scary movies any more than they have stances on telling fairy tales.

They advise against Rated R/18 films, but not against scary movies.

You might not be aware of this, but the modern horror film is the continuation of the old tradition of fairy tales. They are morality plays, for the most part(The great ones, anyway) that teach us the dangers of engaging in certain behaviours.

The Fly warned of the dangers of science run amok, when reckless advancement failed to take in to account the consequences of those advancements. So did, classically, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde.

Invasion of the body snatchers warned of the dangers of Communism.

Night of the Living Dead was a powerful commentary on the inhumanity of man towards man.

Dawn of the Dead was a very frightening commentary on how isolated modern man is from his neighbor, despite being in a crowd.

Day of the dead was a denouncement of modern consumerism.

Friday the 13th was a morality play that subtly poked at the dangers of teenage immorality. If you engaged in anything from premarital sex to drugs, you died in the movie.

Bad horror films abound, certainly, but good horror films are vital parts of the cinema that let humanity contact a visceral part of their past. In the same way that the old fairy tales communicated through fear, so does the modern horror. It's a powerful teaching technique.

Yes, there are a plethora of bad horror films that have stained the genre(I'm looking at YOU, Saw), but bad movies can be found in every genre ever made.

What I'm wondering is does the church have a stand on these kinds of things? I know that we've been told to not use ouiji boards and such because it invites evil spirits into our lives while driving away the Holy Ghost. So is it the same thing for horror movies?

Also my little brother loves watching those ghost hunting shows on tv. Is there anything that advises us to not watch those sorts of things?

Whatever you read, listen to, or look at has an effect on you. Therefore, choose only entertainment and media that uplift you. Good entertainment will help you to have good thoughts and make righteous choices. It will allow you to enjoy yourself without losing the Spirit of the Lord. (For the Strength of Youth, 17).

The church has no stance on scary movies any more than they have stances on telling fairy tales.

They advise against Rated R/18 films, but not against scary movies.

The Church doesn't even advise this anymore, Funky--at least not officially. Read the quote above, along with pages 17 - 19 for the current standard.

The Church doesn't even advise this anymore, Funky--at least not officially. Read the quote above, along with pages 17 - 19 for the current standard.

I stand corrected. That makes sense, too, considering that The Passion of the Christ was Rated R and it's an important film.

As defined, here is uplifting:

up·lift (p-lft)

tr.v. up·lift·ed, up·lift·ing, up·lifts

1. To raise; elevate.

2. To raise to a higher social, intellectual, or moral level or condition.

3. To raise to spiritual or emotional heights; exalt: music that uplifts the spirit.

adj. (plft)

Uplifted.

n. (plft)

1. The act, process, or result of raising or lifting up.

2. An effort or a movement to improve social, moral, or intellectual standards.

3. Geology An upheaval.

There can definitely be Horror films that improve social, moral or intellectual standards.

Where's my sarcasm alarm?

Hey! I'm not being sarcastic. :P Night of the Living Dead, the original black and white by George Romero featured the first strong black character in a leading role. World War Z(Coming out in the future) is really a political commentary on how unprepared the world is to face a truly global catastrophe. Despite it being in preproduction, people are saying it may be the first Zombie film in history to win Best Picture at the Oscar's. Dawn of the Dead was a great commentary on modern consumerism and Shaun of the Dead revisited the idea with a darkly comedic aspect.

I think I love Zombie Films. There have been non-Zombie films that have been great, but Zombie flicks are a great love of mine.

Hey! I'm not being sarcastic. :P Night of the Living Dead, the original black and white by George Romero featured the first strong black character in a leading role. World War Z(Coming out in the future) is really a political commentary on how unprepared the world is to face a truly global catastrophe. Despite it being in preproduction, people are saying it may be the first Zombie film in history to win Best Picture at the Oscar's. Dawn of the Dead was a great commentary on modern consumerism and Shaun of the Dead revisited the idea with a darkly comedic aspect.

I think I love Zombie Films. There have been non-Zombie films that have been great, but Zombie flicks are a great love of mine.

Read the book at least 5 times now. Every time i go to look into how the movie is coming along i get sad it will not be for a while and just reread the book :tombstone::scared.freaked::tank:

Love zombie flicks

Oh my gosh, I can't imagine the number of times I have thought about how the director will do the Battle at Yonkers. *shakes fist* Curse you, Hollywood, for not turning this in to a series!

All I'm saying is that this had better be the greatest movie ever made!

Read the book at least 5 times now. Every time i go to look into how the movie is coming along i get sad it will not be for a while and just reread the book :tombstone::scared.freaked::tank:

Love zombie flicks

Oh my gosh, I can't imagine the number of times I have thought about how the director will do the Battle at Yonkers. *shakes fist* Curse you, Hollywood, for not turning this in to a series!

All I'm saying is that this had better be the greatest movie ever made!

Yeah i think fans of the book will be disappointed. There is no way they can cover every story and i can't think of any worth skipping. On top of that i think they have some back stories/ stories in stories to cover.

I.E. I want to see Sister Montoya(?)(at least in a montosh (cant spell it) protect her Sunday school with a candle stick not just hear the soldier mention it.

But i figure most who see it will have never read the book and like it.

Guest Alana

You totally just stole my entire post. You said it a lot better though:p

I know that we've been told to not use ouiji boards and such because it invites evil spirits into our lives while driving away the Holy Ghost.

I don't know that at all. Certainly nobody has ever told me that (at least nobody with any authority). Who told you, and exactly what did they say?

I sure would hate to have to give up singing Banana Man with my kids, because it talks about playing spirit games and whatnot...

LM

From the Aaronic Priesthood Manual 2, pg 37 from Satan and his Temptations:

The young men should understand the reality of Satan, but you should not talk too much about him or relate personal experiences with the power of evil. Avoid discussing the occult. If the young men bring up such subjects as Ouija boards, séances, spiritualism, or Satan worship, you should tell them that such things are tools of Satan and that we have been counseled to avoid them completely. Then direct the discussion back to the lesson.

I'm gonna guess it ain't just a temptation if you're an Aaronic priesthood holder.

You know what's interesting, I don't like scary movies because well, they scare me.

And in addition to that, I'm not too pleased about their subject matter and the gore and graphics these days.

I love me some old fashioned Dracula black and white movies but I don't like being scared and nauseated at the same time. :)

If the young men bring up such subjects as Ouija boards, séances, spiritualism, or Satan worship, you should tell them that such things are tools of Satan and that we have been counseled to avoid them completely.

Interesting. A church resource mentions "we have been counseled", but fails to provide a footnote or a link. And the church website doesn't show any such counsel either.

So again - does anyone have specific information about specific counsel given?

Just trying to track it down. It wouldn't be the first time cultural legend has made it to the level of prophecy or doctrine in people's minds...

Interesting. A church resource mentions "we have been counseled", but fails to provide a footnote or a link. And the church website doesn't show any such counsel either.

So again - does anyone have specific information about specific counsel given?

Just trying to track it down. It wouldn't be the first time cultural legend has made it to the level of prophecy or doctrine in people's minds...

only thing i can think of is the book Mormon doctrine, which of course is not actually Mormon doctrine