Is Anyone Going To See The Passion Of Christ Movie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheProudDuck

My evangelical mother-in-law bought us tickets. She slipped up and mentioned how she thought it would make "believers" out of us, suggesting that she doesn't think our particular flavor of belief in Christ, um, counts. (Then again, she refuses to believe "The Passion" is Catholic-influenced, and her theology is California-mega-church thin, so there you go.)

Originally posted by lash4160@Feb 24 2004, 05:11 PM

I really havent desided if I want to go or not.

I like to stay away from rated-R movies. <_<

I think it depends on the reason for the R rating.

For the most part, the ratings are for parental guidance, and it often takes on a negative tone. But in this case, I don't think the rating system is adequate for the content/coverage. I go by the reviews more than the ratings, in this case. And the reviews are most powerful.

I will go see it tomorrow on the first showing. (It doesn't open here till tomorrow.)

Originally posted by TheProudDuck@Feb 24 2004, 12:24 PM

My evangelical mother-in-law bought us tickets. She slipped up and mentioned how she thought it would make "believers" out of us, suggesting that she doesn't think our particular flavor of belief in Christ, um, counts. (Then again, she refuses to believe "The Passion" is Catholic-influenced, and her theology is California-mega-church thin, so there you go.)

PD,

Am I to guess you wonder MIL disrespects your Church of choice? Ah, it happens.

But do your words about her own Church of choice reflect that which you despise? Shrug.

Apologies, Sir Duck. Could be I see pot and kettle where only tin-foil hats around a blazing fire exist. Respectfulness of spiritual paths moves in more than one direction. Okay, maybe sometimes in one direction--but is it supposed to be a contest? ;-)

Not to worry: I gift myself this reminder often--that we're all perfectly imperfect, so often cathected to personal choices and views at the expense of others' and others...

What a stinker being mortal, huh?

God Bless,

Kay

Kay

Originally posted by lash4160@Feb 24 2004, 05:11 PM

I really havent desided if I want to go or not.

I like to stay away from rated-R movies. <_<

Why, it's the content of the movie that matters, not the rating. I've heard that the General Authorities are about to supercede the general statement about R movies with another approach, because they aware that there are some R movies that are just fine and the PG-13 movies are worse!

I'm planning to see the new movie, unless I hear of some bad reveiws or comments from Church leaders.

Paul O

My son is seeing it with some of her YSA friends, I will wait for him to tell me if I could stand it or not.

I’m the kind that walks out of movies if it gets to much gore, Saving private Rayne upset me to no end as well as wind talkers.

I think going in you know why something is rated R in this case is a good reason to opted out of my “no R” movies. Its not like the story is full of sex and swear words.

So I personally will wait to hear from others as to weather to go or not,

So when you go come back and fill us in.

I was hopeing to hear from our leaders would have said something by know.

I heard it is vary church of Rome.

Originally posted by Maureen@Feb 24 2004, 09:54 PM

My daughter wants to see it, so I will take her. I am curious about the movie but terrible with blood and guts. I will more than likely hide behind my hands during the gruesome parts and try to read the subtitles at the same time.

M.

from what I hear you'll be hiding your eyes the whole time.

Guest TheProudDuck
Originally posted by Kay+Feb 25 2004, 01:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kay @ Feb 25 2004, 01:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TheProudDuck@Feb 24 2004, 12:24 PM

My evangelical mother-in-law bought us tickets.  She slipped up and mentioned how she thought it would make "believers" out of us, suggesting that she doesn't think our particular flavor of belief in Christ, um, counts.  (Then again, she refuses to believe "The Passion" is Catholic-influenced, and her theology is California-mega-church thin, so there you go.)

PD,

Am I to guess you wonder MIL disrespects your Church of choice? Ah, it happens.

But do your words about her own Church of choice reflect that which you despise? Shrug.

Apologies, Sir Duck. Could be I see pot and kettle where only tin-foil hats around a blazing fire exist. Respectfulness of spiritual paths moves in more than one direction. Okay, maybe sometimes in one direction--but is it supposed to be a contest? ;-)

Not to worry: I gift myself this reminder often--that we're all perfectly imperfect, so often cathected to personal choices and views at the expense of others' and others...

What a stinker being mortal, huh?

God Bless,

Kay

Kay

No offense taken. My MIL is just not a terribly deep-thinking person, and her evangelical megachurch seems to feed her a steady diet of theological thin gruel.

Actually, her particular megachurch isn't one I have any reason to dislike (meaning that it doesn't have a giant anti-Mormon slander book collection in its bookstore). Her pastor has written some very insightful things in his books.

I think a significant difference between dear MIL's view of my church and my view of hers is that I don't think hers is non-Christian. I may find the stadium-church atmosphere impersonal, the praise-band music shallow, and the church's tendency to allow people to be satisfied with a skin-deep Sunday-morning church experience instead of the profound change of heart and the sense of awe that can define the Christian life, but I also believe that God works with people where they are.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Paul Osborne@Feb 25 2004, 06:38 AM

I've heard that the General Authorities are about to supercede the general statement about R movies with another approach, because they aware that there are some R movies that are just fine and the PG-13 movies are worse!

Paul O

What is your source for this inside information? I just don't see it happening.

Guest TheProudDuck
Originally posted by curvette+Feb 25 2004, 01:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Feb 25 2004, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Paul Osborne@Feb 25 2004, 06:38 AM

I've heard that the General Authorities are about to supercede the general statement about R movies with another approach, because they aware that there are some R movies that are just fine and the PG-13 movies are worse!

Paul O

What is your source for this inside information? I just don't see it happening.

I thought the Church leadership already did change the phrasing of their counsel on movies. I recall seeing the last few remarks on the subject, and the references were only to "inappropriate" movies. Nothing about R-ratings.

Now, the leadership is probably never going to expressly take back its earlier counsel on the R-rating. They rarely, if ever, explicitly take anything back. They just replace the old counsel with the new, and let the old fade out of the Church's memory.

Originally posted by Paul Osborne@Feb 25 2004, 06:38 AM

And I have heard that Keith Partridge is dating Marsha Brady.

What's your point?

Any ideas on how I might track down the statements from General Authorities regarding rated R movies? I have a feeling that the person(s) who made those statements were only trying to give general counsel, and not official declarations from our Lord.

And as far as “taking it back” goes, I think it would be a bit rude for anyone other than the person(s) who made those statements to say that those persons should have expressed their thoughts in other words. When people express their thoughts with anything less than perfect words, I think we should try to understand the thoughts they are trying to express.

And for the record, I’m going to see it with my wife this weekend. If I believed I should avoid anything that could be rated “R”, I would stop reading the Bible and Book of Mormon.

My son called me at work today and said can you pop out to pick up tickets for a few YSA freands for me.

First there was a pause and a No. He said your not going?

Not till you see it, I told him.

he thought that was funny :lol:

I will wait and have him tell me if he thinks dear old mom can handle it.

He is going tonight, I told him it would most likely sold out but he told me they were not selling advance tickets this time you have to buy them in line.

I wonder how much of this was not wanting to stand in line or his need to be at work.

I know I am my own boss but hay mom pick up tickets for me. :rolleyes:

I think a significant difference between dear MIL's view of my church and my view of hers is that I don't think hers is non-Christian.

Ah, yes: the "different Jesus" debacle, fer fright!

I gave up on debating that point, PD. ...couldn't get through to a conclusion--kept asking for Polaroids of the two Jesuses for comparison, and, "lo, no takers." Many claim a true Jesus and forget a council at Nicea...

Still, dear Sir Duck, it appears you and MIL both regard the others' spirituality as a bit thin. Hence my comment about being mortal.

At the end of the day, I'm willing we work to look at Christianity as living its principles, not through defining it. Doing our best or worst on our best or worst days is enough. And may our mindfulness perceive that inlaws ain't outlaws, except for those moments they'd do more well on another planet (kidding!).

Blessings, Kay

Originally posted by Rodney@Feb 25 2004, 04:52 AM

Kay Kay,

Just wondering. Were you born to an English speaking household or have you simply over embraced it later in life?

No need to wonder, Rodney,

I am the mistaken zygote left at the wrong planet; English is not considered by me as my primary language.

Kay Kay

Originally posted by Kay+Feb 26 2004, 05:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kay @ Feb 26 2004, 05:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Rodney@Feb 25 2004, 04:52 AM

Kay Kay,

Just wondering.  Were you born to an English speaking household or have you simply over embraced it later in life?

No need to wonder, Rodney,

I am the mistaken zygote left at the wrong planet; English is not considered by me as my primary language.

Kay Kay

Still wondering why I should bother to wonder at all, but what might that primary language be? Guessing either Latin or Klingonaase.

"komerex tel khesterex"